Bringing dutch groceries back on the ship

suevp

I have been bringing dutch goodies home from other islands for years for my dutch daughter-in-law. As long as the food products are sealed no problem. I know her mom just brought back cheese ( a wheel I think) from SM but not sure about regs. Sometimes the packaging is deceiving! Find someone who actally is familiar with the product if you are not sure. Just a side note...the clerks are not always your best resource!! Find a shopper to ask.:D Just curious...where are you planning to shop?

We've brought back sandwiches for friends on board, snacks, a lobster lunch once....... HAL permits food to be brought aboard (within reason) but it is hardly ever permitted to be brought off the ships.

We were just in SM in February and I bought a wheel of Mild Gouda in one of the shops at the pier. Not sure of the name, but I think it's the last one on the left as you return to the ships. They are in a small fridge at the back of the store. When you walk into the store they have lots of drugstore products by the cash register and also a number of shelves with groceries.

The wheel was about 10 lbs and cost $36US. We are from Canada and I always claim the cheese. They usually ask if it is the hard cheese in a wax wheel and tell me to enjoy.

I think we have restrictions for soft/spread cheeses. Not sure of restrictions for other countries, so it would be best to check before you go. You wouldn't want to loose the cheese at customs on your way home.

Last year while in St. Martin, we got Gouda and some other things at a local grocery store....had no problem bringing them back to US. Also, got some great spices to bring back. We will be there again , in A FEW DAYS, and I planning on doing the same thing.:D

There is a very large and well stocked Dutch market near a traffic circle in Phillipsburg. Sorry that I don't have the name or directions but perhaps someone can help. We visited there a couple of times when we were on the island for a week a few years ago.

Archived