How much to tip for room service?

I would tip $5 if having more than a breakfast. Normally, I do 2-3 if having coffee and sweet rolls. I know that seems like a large amount compared to what you pay daily, but it's a special trip to bring you what you want and if taking food off the ship, a small price to pay for lunch or whatever off the ship.

Katie

Does anybody have a suggestion for appropriate tipping for room service on MOS? I have read that room service is free but a tip is expected. Breakfast and something to take to the beach will be what we order.

I know this is not your questions but as you said you want to order something to take to the beach, please keep in mind that many countries have very strict rules about bringing food into the country. They ususally tell you on the ship if it´s allowed or not to bring food ashore. However my past experience is that it was forbidden in most places.

Security at the gangway has been very strict about this and I´ve seen people being denied to go ashore with any kind of food.

We always tip 2 or 3 dollars, more if meal, and plan ahead by taking several one dollar bills from bank with us. I am appalled that some do not tip at all and consider "delivery" a part of the cruise. There is no excuse for not giving at least a dollar for bringing it to you.

Yep. That is just my opinion, right or wrong. We each have one. :)

We usually only order a light breakfast of coffee, juice and danish for which we tip around $2. I also echo what madforcruising said about taking food ashore. This is a definite "no-no". This isn't a rule to be bent or broken at will, it's the laws of the countries you are entering. No fruit, vegetables, sandwiches. Nothing that isn't pre-packaged and sometimes not even those.

And besides - you can eat the ships food all week. How many opportunities will you have to have a lunch in St. Maarten or breakfast in St. Thomas?

If you were to eat a sometimes simple / sometimes nice meal while ashore in each of your port stops, you would probably spend less than $100. extra doing so. IMHO - this is an experience that is not to be passed up.

Archived