Packing List for Alaska

peggy655

Hi!

I know there must be some posts regarding what clothes to pack on an Alaskan cruise but I can't seem to locate them. Would appreciate any suggestions on what type of clothing is needed and any other items that might be of particular use there. We are traveling on the Amsterdam from Seattle June 26th. I know exactly what to pack for the Caribbean cruises but have to admit I am stumped for this upcoming Alaskan cruise! Thanks for you help!

Peggy

Hola,

Pack lots to layer. Sleeveless,short sleeve, long sleeve tops, polartec vests and especially a breathable, waterproof jacket. Socks and comfortable walking/hiking shoes are a must if you plan any shore excursions. Hats and sunglasses and bug repel (you can even buy clothing that repels bugs, I think it's called bug or buzz off ). I was also glad that I brought shorts, as it was warm enough a few days to wear them. I also had some very cool pants from EMS that were breathable and waterproof, perfect for my shore excursions. The time viewing the glaciers, I wore many layers including gloves, hat and scarf. You will love Alaska !

Peace

If you go up to the "Search" feature at the top of this message board and thenc click on "advanced search" you will get a more detailed screen.. at the top left there is a keyword option.. type in "packing list" and "packing" and then go down a little further where there's an option for date range and pick "from 3 months ago".. you will find several threads in February/early March with good packing tips and lists..

Leave your winter coats at home, lighter layers are the key. I had a rain jacket with me, but I wished I had had a longer, past the hip jacket instead, something like this:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=40035&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4876&cat4=2325&shop_method=pp&feat=ssdpb2325

I know this one is pricey, but I'm using it for illustration purpose only, I'm sure you can find one less costly if you need to.

While a lot of people wear jeans, knit pants or a wind suit, would make more sense. Easier and lighter to pack, more comfortable to wear. I took 2 pair of sneakers thinking one might be too wet to wear, but only really needed one pair. Don't pack more than a few long sleeved shirts, take a few short sleeved as well. Also, include a couple pair of shorts, port days are sometimes warm enough. Unless you are prone to getting cold easily, leave the turtlenecks at home. For sea days, a nice sweatsuit is perfect, but don't forget to bring along your bathing suit, too.

The one item I didn't pack and missed a lot was summer sandals (or pool shoes). Since you will be packing heavier items for an Alaskan cruise, it is better to pack fewer items and use the laundry service. We did this and spent around $40 for a family of four and cut down dramatically on packing.

For evening, you can pack the same as any other cruise. Our cruise was in August, so perhaps a bit warmer, but you can never be sure in Alaska. Our evenings were warm enough to stroll the decks at night without jackets.

Edit to add, a couple of days before you leave, check www.weather.com to check the forecast for your trip. I know the forecast may change, but you will get an idea of perhaps how much rain to expect and what the temps may be.

To add to Happy ks's good advisement - http://www.weatherunderground.com is useful to see historical day by day data for wherever you may be going over the past few years. I'm going to Alaska again in August after going in the heatwave summer of 2003 (I swear we hit 75 or higher every day), so it was helpful to compare 2004 and 2003. I also learned that Sitka (new port for me this year) runs cooler than ports further in.

Archived