Soooo frustrated...

Chigirlcruzin

On December 30, I weighed 135 with measurements of 34-23.5-34. I looked and felt great...it was the perfect weight for me. On Jan 20, I weighed 145 with measurements of 34-26-36. In that time, I took a cruise followed by 10 days in Hong Kong for work. I worked out on both trips. How in the heck did I gain so much in such a short time?! Ok, no big deal, I'll go low carb to get it off then switch back to my normal maintenance regimen. The problem...it's March 11 and the scale still says 145.

I work out for 2 hours 6 days a week (an hour of cardio and an hour of weights/plyometrics). I know when I work out like this I need about 1600 calories to lose. I've tried adjusting that number, but I get no results.

I did have an abnormal thyroid test in late Jan, but the retest showed everything was perfect. I'm thinking of calling my doctor tomorrow. I'm doing all the right things but only getting minor results (measurements are down to 34-24.5-35). I signed up for some training sessions at the gym to get new workouts...I'm wondering if my body is too used to what I'm doing. Any other suggestions?

Maybe part of the weight gain is water . We find that cruise line and restaurant food put to much salt into the food. I've seen people on board (including my 90+yo Dad) ad salt before even tasting it . Then later complaining that the food is very salty. or too salty.

Thanks. I'm drinking 150-200 oz a day, so I'm hydrated and shouldn't be hanging on to anything. I agree that the food is so salty. I rarely add salt to anything; I'm a very clean eater...only shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Very few processed foods for me, so it's a shock when I do have salty food.

I feel your pain..when I hit 35 , the closer I got to 40 the more my hormones kicked in..it was painful!

Chi, I got married in November and my new brother in law is a Nautropath doctor..when I told him my woes, he suggested that I had inflammation from stress..my husband is also trained in naturopathy, and between the two of them I learned that inflammation (from stress) was causing weight gain even though I ate clean. He gave me some herbal things then told me to incoprate yoga and massage into my routines, as well as eliminate all meat, wheat, and flour. The meat thing was hard, though I do eat fish and on occasion, chicken. After my husband gave me a good hour massage, deep tissue (the kind where I was crying in pain!) I am not kidding.my stomach and arms had shrunk the next day. Now I am lucky I am married to someone like this (although he is an engineer by way of employment) so I have it good, but it might be worth a try for you. When I saw him take out knots out of my arms/shoulders and back, it was scary to think I was carrying that much in my body and didn't even know it.

My suggestion would be to incoprate yoga 3x a week into your routine..stretching isn't going to hurt anything and it'll help if anything..and see if you can make massage a part of your regular routine. If you google chinese medicine, there are a lot of programs that prescribed that. I can tell you, since I got rid of the animal protein and use beans and plant proteins, I saw a huge change in my body and in a short period of time. Nowadays I am into distance running and some weight lifting and am able to lose at a comfortable rate, and maintain.

Thanks. I'm drinking 150-200 oz a day, so I'm hydrated and shouldn't be hanging on to anything. I agree that the food is so salty. I rarely add salt to anything; I'm a very clean eater...only shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Very few processed foods for me, so it's a shock when I do have salty food.

Yep...I feel your pain... Hitting that plateau sucks. I've been stuck at 135-136 for over a month now with no change. I've tried changing my diet, working out more, cutting out certain bad habits (Diet Coke), and still nothing. :(

Are you tracking your calories? I use to use a DIGITAL food scale and weigh every single thing that went into my mouth. That way, I was absolutely positive in regard to how many calories I was consuming. Especially if you are eating clean. A lot of those items should be weighed in order to get an accurate calorie count. For instance..4 oz. of chicken versus 1/2 cup of chicken can vary in calories.

Looks like you are eating in a deficit. The food scale is about the only thing that I can really come up with in regard to why the weight isn't coming off.

Good luck!

I use a food scale :) It's always on my counter.

I have a call in to my doctor. I had a goofy thyroid test in Jan. Ran a retest, everything was perfect. In the past ten days, my legs are swelling terribly. At first I blamed in on water retention due to my monthly friend, but that's long gone, and the swelling stayed :( I'm wondering if it's a thyroid issue or edema.

Another thought: Eat your biggest meal of the day at noon..not at dinner time. Another trick learned from having a Latin husband..more time to burn it off (cultural for him). Dinner we eat more light..a salad, fruit, soup, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived