Ocho Rios Suggestions for a 7 Month Old?

kaelyne

Hi,

I wasn't sure whether this question would be better here on the Family Cruising board, or in the Jamaica port section so I've posed it on both. Hopefully that's ok.

We will be cruising with our 7 month old next week and one of the ports is Ocho Rios. He is too young to go on any of the ship sponsored excursions we saw and neither of us have ever been to Jamaica so we don't really know what to expect at all. I've read a bunch of reviews on CC that mention the agreesive vendors, etc. so I figured it might be best to get some feedback from CC'ers in order to help us decide what to do that day. So, for those of you that have been to this port:

1) Is it possible to get to a good beach easily from the ship?

2) Would you feel safe enough walking around on your own with an infant in this port? Or would you recommend just skipping it until he is a little older and staying on the ship that day?

3) Assuming it is safe enough, is there enough to do within walking distance (shops or something) of the ship or would we have to take a taxi or shuttle to get anywhere?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!!

It's "safe" enough....if vendors approach, simply tell them "No, Thanks"....they won't strongarm you!!! They are simply trying to make money!

Which port are you docking at? That will allow us to tell you about nearby beaches, if any! There may be some resorts with day passes, so you could use their facilities, too.

If you are approached by vendors, look them in the eye and say "Me no want it." You'll get their attention more than "No, thanks!" And this was told by me by a native. :)

Jamaican people are really nice. Stay in populated areas and don't go wandering around.

Personally, I would just stay on the ship. I found Ocho Rios to be, hands down, the most unpleasant port I've ever visited. Upon arriving, I took a tour that included a stop at the gift shop of Dunn's River Falls, where I was set upon by a pack of aggressive vendors. (Mind you, I wasn't physically harmed in any way; but it was still intimidating.) Later on, I tried walking to the shopping center near the port (the one mentioned by ComeSailWithME), but after being hit up by the third or fourth pushy vendor in the space of a block, I gave up and returned to the ship.

They put stuff in your hands or drape it around your neck and then pressure you to buy it. Sure, you can say "no" and hand it back, but meanwhile, your hands are busy dealing with their trinkets, and thus not on your baby. To be sure, I was not being robbed; yet this is similar to the tactic that some robbers use (distract their victim and then steal their stuff while they're otherwise occupied). It's just not a pleasant sensation.

About the only thing I can say in favor of going ashore is that your baby will be too young to remember the experience. So if you're bound and determined to step foot in Jamaica, might as well do it now and get it over with.

The view of Ocho Rios from the deck of the ship is actually quite lovely. Stay on the ship, savor the view, and let that be your memory of Jamaica.

Archived