Please explain MTD

I have been pouring through these threads for a few weeks now and have to thank everybody for all of the amazing tips and posts. So many questions have already been answered for our much anticipated Allure cruise on 9/30. I'm so excited I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve!!!

After booking I noticed we were assigned MTD 8:30. I called Travel Agent and said we wanted an earlier option and she said we were wait listed for the 6:30 MTD. Not to sound stupid, but if it's MTD why is there a time assigned to it? Her explanation didn't make sense to me. We haven't cruised in 13 years, so this stuff is new to me. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Carnival Paradise '99

M/V Atlantic '87

I have been pouring through these threads for a few weeks now and have to thank everybody for all of the amazing tips and posts. So many questions have already been answered for our much anticipated Allure cruise on 9/30. I'm so excited I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve!!!

After booking I noticed we were assigned MTD 8:30. I called Travel Agent and said we wanted an earlier option and she said we were wait listed for the 6:30 MTD. Not to sound stupid, but if it's MTD why is there a time assigned to it? Her explanation didn't make sense to me. We haven't cruised in 13 years, so this stuff is new to me. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Carnival Paradise '99

M/V Atlantic '87

My-time Dining (MTD) is just that. You make a daily reservation or just show up and put your name on a list to be seated. Just like going to a restaurant. Timed dining option which you have are broken into early and late seating. If you want MTD tell your TA and they will switch you and you will have to pre-pay your gratuity per person. 7 night cruise $81.55pp.

4 options are available on the Allure- early, late, MTD, MFD(MY Family time dining)

Thanks for the quick reply but it still doesn't explain why our MTD has a time attached to it.

I believe that because of the volume of passengers on the Oasis and Allure MTD is intended to give you flexible windows of time rather than specifying any time that you'd like, which is (or was) the norm on the smaller ships.

Have you pre paid your gratuities? If so MTD dining times are YOUR choice of time not theirs and then only if you want to assign a time daily.... you don't have to. If you've not pre paid then you don't have My Time Dining.

Great point.

Carnival Paradise '99

M/V Atlantic '87

It sounds like this may be a case where there has been "a failure to communicate". The times you mention are for "traditional dining" so either you are misreading the confirmation or you have not been placed in My Time Dining. If you have been assigned to My Time Dining, you will have been charged for the cost of your gratuities, and will have no specific time assigned for you to eat. Contact your TA again and get this matter clarified so that there is no misunderstanding.

My reservation says 8:30 pm (MTD). That's because we were assigned 8:30 but we're on the waiting list for My Time. I'm thinking this is the situation for the OP. We had to pay the gratuities up front even just to be put on the waiting list which is fine.

Btw we moved off of the waiting list today and are now listed as My Time.

I have a question about MTD. We signed up for early seating and I would like to know if we miss dinner one night due to a late shore excursion would we be able to go to MTD to eat? I know you are suppose to prepay tips but is there any way around this in case we miss dinner one night?

thanks

I have a question about MTD. We signed up for early seating and I would like to know if we miss dinner one night due to a late shore excursion would we be able to go to MTD to eat? I know you are suppose to prepay tips but is there any way around this in case we miss dinner one night?

thanks

Nope :(

If you head to the Windjammer most of what is served in the MDR will be available for self serve there.

My-time Dining (MTD) is just that. You make a daily reservation or just show up and put your name on a list to be seated. Just like going to a restaurant. Timed dining option which you have are broken into early and late seating. If you want MTD tell your TA and they will switch you and you will have to pre-pay your gratuity per person. 7 night cruise $81.55pp.

4 options are available on the Allure- early, late, MTD, MFD(MY Family time dining)

What I'd the difference between My Time Dining and My Time Family dining?

Ok, so I double checked my reservation and it says MY TIME(8:30pm). The gratuities of 81.55 pp were added to the total fare. That's why I was confused about the time and why she said I was wait listed for an earlier time. I prefer to do the MTD now that you kind folks have explained it better. You should be getting my commision not the air-headed travel agent :)

thanks

No but there are plenty of other places to eat other than the dining room.

Ok, so I double checked my reservation and it says MY TIME(8:30pm). The gratuities of 81.55 pp were added to the total fare. That's why I was confused about the time and why she said I was wait listed for an earlier time. I prefer to do the MTD now that you kind folks have explained it better. You should be getting my commision not the air-headed travel agent :)

Your cruise is in September? I have only this week been able to book the times for MTD for our cruise in July, so I dont understand how you have already been "allocated" 8.30 for MTD in September? This is just wrong.

Can you log into your cruise on RCL and do the MTD bookings yourself? Even though I booked through a TA I can add my own reservations. The only times not available to me were for 7pm and 7.15 but these are never available as they are held over to clear the earlier diners.

What is the point of MTD if you are locked into 8.30! Silly TA. If you are already MTD and you have paid your MTD gratuities in advance, then you arent waitlisted, you are already in it. But you should not have been allocated a time.

Marie51, you cant pick MTD one day, and then MDR the next because you missed your main dining room time. But there are many other options to eat elsewhere. This is one of the reasons why we wanted MTD as we dont want to be bound to a time.

What I'd the difference between My Time Dining and My Time Family dining?

My family is new.Opt for My Family Time Dining® in our main dining room, and your kids will be served right away before Adventure Ocean® staff pick them up for a night of fun. Parents stay behind to relax and continue their meal.My Family Time Dining is offered for the first seating time in our main dining room, for children ages three to 11. Kids enjoy their meal within 40 minutes of seating, before heading to the evening's Adventure Ocean activities. The program starts the second evening you're onboard. After that, you can use it each evening or whenever you wish

This thread has been veryhelpful. I have another question. Can you still use ovc to prepay gratuities for mtd. Or do you need to use credit card well ahead of time. Also do you need to prepay all gratuities including cabin steward?

This thread has been veryhelpful. I have another question. Can you still use ovc to prepay gratuities for mtd. Or do you need to use credit card well ahead of time. Also do you need to prepay all gratuities including cabin steward?

If you sign up for MTD prior to final payment, then your gratuities will be included in your final payment.

If you sign up for MTD once on board, then the gratuities will be charged to your SeaPass Account and any OBC on your account can be used towards payment.

The gratuities cover your cabin attendant, waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter no matter if you pre-pay prior to final payment or once on board. It's a package deal.

Your cruise is in September? I have only this week been able to book the times for MTD for our cruise in July, so I dont understand how you have already been "allocated" 8.30 for MTD in September? This is just wrong.

Can you log into your cruise on RCL and do the MTD bookings yourself? Even though I booked through a TA I can add my own reservations. The only times not available to me were for 7pm and 7.15 but these are never available as they are held over to clear the earlier diners.

What is the point of MTD if you are locked into 8.30! Silly TA. If you are already MTD and you have paid your MTD gratuities in advance, then you arent waitlisted, you are already in it. But you should not have been allocated a time.

Their TA may Have locked them out of their Reservation it happens sometimes.

The risk is that MTD will be booked out if you wait until you board, as it seems to get booked out very early prior to sailing.

I believe that they may hold back a certain number of MTD reservations so that they can be booked onboard since they recognize that not everyone has access to a computer or is computer literate.

I also don't know of any way that a TA could lock out a client preventing them from personally booking MTD on line, nor can I conceive of any logical reason why, if it were possible, a TA would want to do so.:confused:

Archived