Alaska 2013...Diamond or Sapphire?

Sassy's Mom

I am looking to book an Alaskan cruise for August 2013 and need to choose between the Diamond and the Sapphire. For those of you who have sailed them both, which do you prefer and why? I want to have everything picked out so we can book as soon as they become available. Thanks!

I am looking to book an Alaskan cruise for August 2013 and need to choose between the Diamond and the Sapphire. For those of you who have sailed them both' date=' which do you prefer and why? I want to have everything picked out so we can book as soon as they become available. Thanks![/quote']

I have sailed on Diamond twice, but never sailed Sapphire. However, they actually are sister ships and both were built in Japan, so I can assume that they will be pretty much alike. My Alaska cruise on Diamond was wonderful and believe it or not, I was upgraded from an outside cabin to a mini-suite. Dont't have the slightest idea why I got the upgrade, but it sure was a nice surprise. No matter which one you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise. ;)

My DW & I have sailed on both ships and they are great. More important than which ship is which route you prefer. Some folks prefer flying up and taking the ship down seeing Hubbard Glacier and others taking the ship up and seeing College Fjord and flying back home. Glacier Bay is done on both routes.

I recall the Diamond Princess being refurb extensively in late 2010.

Thanks! We'll either do a Northbound or Southbound as it seems like a 7-day round-trip would be too rushed. QUOTE]

Sorry, absolutely not true. Both sail 7 days. Nothing is "rushed with a round trip. A reason to choose a one way is if you are going to tour interior Alaska. Of which a min of 5 extra days is needed, more if you can.

Sorry, absolutely not true. Both sail 7 days. Nothing is "rushed with a round trip. A reason to choose a one way is if you are going to tour interior Alaska. Of which a min of 5 extra days is needed, more if you can.

Some of the round trip cruises offer shorter times in port then is offered by the one way cruises. Check the itineraries and see if that's true with the cruises your considering, and if the difference is enough to affect your plans.

I think that's what the poster meant by "rushed"

Have sailed on both and much prefer the Sapphire. On Sapphire found the crew to be more friendly, the rooms in better condition, and the buffet to be better (better food and service). Have a wonderful cruise!

I have also sailed both and either ship would be great. But like others said the Sapphire just came out of dry dock, so take that into consideration. But I would go by the itinerary first when choosing an Alaskan cruise. I have done this cruise 3 times and the best for me was on the Sea Princess, but that is because I live in the San Francisco Bay area and love cruising without having to fly.

Some of the round trip cruises offer shorter times in port then is offered by the one way cruises. Check the itineraries and see if that's true with the cruises your considering, and if the difference is enough to affect your plans.

I think that's what the poster meant by "rushed"

Thats it exactly. Taking my mom on her first cruise for her 70th bday. One of her closest friends is our TA and she said that would be best for us. Just wishing there was a way to get an unlimited vodka and diet 7-up (she hates sprite) package for her! LOL

I was onboard the Crown last week and the FCC rep was able to print out the Alaska brochure and sailing dates for me. It only came with one set of launch fares for each route so we have to wait until tomorrow to see the fares for each voyage.

Archived