I think we've narrowed down our excursion choices. Need advice.

Gemnohamcm

We are on the Millenium Northbound from Vancouver to Seward on the August 24-31 sailing. Looking for advice on the best ports for particular excursion activities. We are stopping in Ketchikan, Icy Strait, Juneau and Skagway.

At this point, we have decided on doing the following:

Zipline/Ropes Course

Kayaking

Helicopter and/or Floatplane

I'm not big on the idea of the floatplane as I have a tendency to get motion sickness on things like ride simulators and prop engine planes that are getting bounced around. The helicopter option seems smoother but never having been on a helicopter ride, I have NO idea how I will react. DH used to pilot two-seater planes and has no problems with motion sickness. However, if I have to I'll take some bonine or dramamine beforehand if it seems like it will be a bumpy day. I used to fish with my dad all the time on the Great Lakes and didn't have an issue unless it was a REALLY rocky day so I'm not concerned about the cruise.

Any advice on which activity to do in which port? It's all so confusing since it seems like most every port has the same options with just a little twist to make it different! I would like to say that money isn't a concern, however we also know that some of these excursions can get pricey. But we ARE celebrating our 15th anniversary and it will be the first time away from the kids for more than 2 nights so we want to enjoy ourselves and not skimp either.

What would you do???

Thanks in advance for any advice!

You are asking questions that can not be answered, I will not "speculate" that your flight options will be just "fine". I've seen sick passengers on both, including last year on a floatplane trip, and this year on a helicopter trip in Hawaii. I always fly several times each trip, as that is my touring preference. Precautions are your only option- IF you want to fly, I would suspect for you??

Your other choices will offer you fantastic experiences. I don't kayak in foul weather, and have had no problem getting on walk up tours, but, this clearly isn't a good option for many. So if you continue with a kayak trip, especially end of August, you must be accepting of going out in the rain and cool weather. These trips do not cancel.

I think i may have asked the question wrong. In your opinion, if we really want to kayak which port has the best excursion and why? Same for helicopter or flightplane, and zipline/ropes course?

Just looking for recommendations.

I think i may have asked the question wrong. In your opinion, if we really want to kayak which port has the best excursion and why? Same for helicopter or flightplane, and zipline/ropes course?

My 2cents

Flightseeing is Ketchikan for Misty Fjord

Helicopter is either Juneau or Skagway depending on what other activities and interest you have planned

Kayaking is skagway.

Zipling, I guess I"m not a big fan of why anyone finds this a special thing to do in Alaska. I can see the kayaking to a glacer or among ice or in a pristine lake.

Float plane tours of Misty Fiord, bear watching out of Ketchikan excellent selections, float plane to Taku Glacier Salmon bake is also a scenic option.

Your only helicopter tours are out of Skagway and Juneau, equal in sightseeing. Glacier trekking best out of Juneau.

Kayaking is excellent ouf of Juneau and Ketchikan.

Have not done zip lines in Alaska.

The above point is a good one, book your limited- time/location tours first, then fill in with the more available ones. Look at your WHOLE tour selection before you get into any booking. Arrange the schedule so, that you take the best advantage of your short time.

Archived