Verizon Cell Phones in PR

Rinderoo

I know ATT covers PR and St Thomas. Am finding conflicting info on PR and St Thomas.

Anyone know about Verizon and these islands?

Thanks.

You will have service but unlike ATT it will not be at regular call prices.

I believe it is .99 per minute to make/receive calls in PR and $2.49 per minute in USVI

I know ATT covers PR and St Thomas. Am finding conflicting info on PR and St Thomas.

Thanks.

The coverage map from verizon web site shows that PR is covered but, St. Thomas is not! See for yourself or go up to verizon web site and check out your plan to make sure your covered!

Thanks.

With Verizon San Juan was just like making a call at home, no extra charges.

In St Thomas we had no service.

I called Verizon again and they told me the only rate difference is voice calls....PR would be .69 a minute....USVI $1.99........data and texts are the same as you pay here.

It is one of the reasons I travel with an unlocked cell phone I bought on Ebay a few years back which I loaded with with a sim card giving me dual UK/USA numbers........as an example the calls I make to NY from PR/USVI are about 16 cents a minute......calls I receive on my UK number are free (23 cents on my USA number) Has worked all over the world.

I called Verizon again and they told me the only rate difference is voice calls....PR would be .69 a minute....USVI $1.99........data and texts are the same as you pay here.

It is one of the reasons I travel with an unlocked cell phone I bought on Ebay a few years back which I loaded with with a sim card giving me dual UK/USA numbers........as an example the calls I make to NY from PR/USVI are about 16 cents a minute......calls I receive on my UK number are free (23 cents on my USA number) Has worked all over the world.

I've had a Veriaon cell for years, we cruise from San Juan ever year, and I call home from there every year. pR calls are part of my calling plan, no extra charges, St. Thomas is roaming.

I've had a Veriaon cell for years, we cruise from San Juan ever year, and I call home from there every year. pR calls are part of my calling plan, no extra charges, St. Thomas is roaming.

Thanks.....I don't know why Verizon keeps telling me .69 cents. Last year when I used my Verizon cell I think the phone registered "extended service"....does that mean I am roaming and will be charged the extra fee?

Thanks.....I don't know why Verizon keeps telling me .69 cents. Last year when I used my Verizon cell I think the phone registered "extended service"....does that mean I am roaming and will be charged the extra fee?

No, my phone says extended service in PR and roaming if I turn it on in St. Thomas.

No, my phone says extended service in PR and roaming if I turn it on in St. Thomas.

I appreciate your reply....possibly we have different Verizon plans......I called Verizon again....for the third time.....they reiterated that "extended" service in PR means I am roaming and I would be charged .69 cents per minute for voice calls I make/receive......texts and data are at my regular rates.

I appreciate your reply....possibly we have different Verizon plans......I called Verizon again....for the third time.....they reiterated that "extended" service in PR means I am roaming and I would be charged .69 cents per minute for voice calls I make/receive......texts and data are at my regular rates.

Could be. I have a nationwide family share plan. I just checked the coverage map on verizonwireless.com, and it shows most of PR as covered. I just know that my calls from there have always been included, and my phone always says extended service.

Could be. I have a nationwide family share plan. I just checked the coverage map on verizonwireless.com, and it shows most of PR as covered. I just know that my calls from there have always been included, and my phone always says extended service.

I do have the same nationwide plan. I called the Verizon Global info line....800-711-8300.....rate still comes up at .69 min.........going to use my international sim card at .16 cents per minute rather than take a chance with Verizon.....will be in San Juan for 6 days and I'm sure we'll make/receive a few calls.

Very odd. Re-checked my January cell bill (our most recent trip to San Juan), and no charge for my calls. Then I called 611 from my cell and asked if San Jusn was still included in my nationwide calling plan, or if there had been a change, and the rep I talked to said it was still included. I just don't know what to tell you.

So, I did a little more research. The toll free number you gave in a previous post is not their main customer service number, and the option for call rates available is for international rates. The main customer service toll free number is 800-922-0204, a number I've actually used from San Juan, as you cannot call 611 from San Juan. This number actually gets you the same place as calling 611. I dialed the toll free number, asked again, and a pleasant young woman named McKenna verified that San Juan is included in the nationwide calling plan for

Verizon. I'd recommend you program 800-922-0204 into your contact list; it can be useful to have.

What about data? Can you access Facebook, email, etc via an iPhone while in SJU or STT without incurring data roaming charges?

San Juan, yes, I used mine in January. I didn't add a global data plan, so I turned it off and put it in the safe when we left port.

So Verizon is not extra from San Juan...do I still need to do this like it said in earlier post?..

Forgot one thing....before you leave set your Verizon phone by hitting:

*228/send/select-option 2

So, I did a little more research. The toll free number you gave in a previous post is not their main customer service number, and the option for call rates available is for international rates. The main customer service toll free number is 800-922-0204, a number I've actually used from San Juan, as you cannot call 611 from San Juan. This number actually gets you the same place as calling 611. I dialed the toll free number, asked again, and a pleasant young woman named McKenna verified that San Juan is included in the nationwide calling plan for

Verizon. I'd recommend you program 800-922-0204 into your contact list; it can be useful to have.

FINALLY!!!!!! I used your 800 number and finally got someone at Verizon who explained things to me. Unless I am calling from a remote part of Puerto Rico, I am good to go. From San Juan my phone will say extended service but it is considered a regular domestic call.....no extra fees!!!! This holds true for data and texting as well. Thanks for helping me clear this up.

As for *228/send/option 2.....it is not necessary if you are only using the phone in PR because it is not an international call.....it is necessary to set your phone with the *228 before leaving the US if you also plan to use it roaming in the USVI, etc.

FINALLY!!!!!! I used your 800 number and finally got someone at Verizon who explained things to me. Unless I am calling from a remote part of Puerto Rico, I am good to go. From San Juan my phone will say extended service but it is considered a regular domestic call.....no extra fees!!!! This holds true for data and texting as well. Thanks for helping me clear this up.

As for *228/send/option 2.....it is not necessary if you are only using the phone in PR because it is not an international call.....it is necessary to set your phone with the *228 before leaving the US if you also plan to use it roaming in the USVI, etc.

Glad that worked for you.

*228/option 2 programs your phone to pick up all the added cell towers as Verizon adds them. I do it routinely, usually when I pay my bill. I always do the update before we leave for our cruises.

Glad I saw this thread! I was just in Verizon last week to find out about using our phone on our cruise in April. I find it all depends on who you talk to ...... half those people really don't know what they are talking about. They told me $0.69/min in San Juan. We will be in San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk, and St. Maarten. We were trying to figure out where we could call to check on the kids from. They never mentioned anything about the *228 thing....

Thanks for the info!

Archived