Okay, I know this is a taboo subject, but...

JulesBee

[quote=cruisin'girl;32917133]JULES, you are over-thinking this and most definitely over-worrying. Relax and enjoy the anticipation of your cruise. Hiding your smoking from your daughter is your private decision and advice seems not to be needed. The rest of it is not your problem.

Holland allows smoking on verandas. If non-smokers book a veranda smoking has become their problem, not yours. There isn't a reason in the world to ask permission of anyone and frankly you would just be opening up a can of worms. Your neighbors might be folks who are on their balcony for hours at a time and once you ask for their permission you are committing yourself to not smoking while they are out there if they say they object. Smoking is allowed yet you are putting a guilt trip on yourself. It's their problem and Holland's, not yours. Of course the non-smokers here are going to praise you for asking and encourage you to do so. They want to book smoking-allowed verandas with no consequences to themselves.[/quote]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]I too agree with this statement. Jules, enjoy your balcony & smoke - don't ask your neighbours. The anti smokers can choose another cruise line. I know the feeling. Was on Champix for 14 weeks & haven't had a smoke for 2 weeks. I am Canadian & am saving $100.00 a week. Still would love a smoke but am determined not to. Want to be well prepared for my Hal cruise in May where I can't afford a balcony since I sail solo. So sick & tired of reading on this board people telling smokers to quit. I may take advice from someone I love, but not from some self-ritious person who I will probably never meet. Enjoy your suite cruise with your daughter. :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[quote name='solocanadian'][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]I too agree with this statement. Jules, enjoy your balcony & smoke - don't ask your neighbours. The anti smokers can choose another cruise line. I know the feeling. Was on Champix for 14 weeks & haven't had a smoke for 2 weeks. I am Canadian & am saving $100.00 a week. Still would love a smoke but am determined not to. Want to be well prepared for my Hal cruise in May where I can't afford a balcony since I sail solo. So sick & tired of reading on this board people telling smokers to quit. I may take advice from someone I love, but not from some self-ritious person who I will probably never meet. Enjoy your suite cruise with your daughter. :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/quote]

Thanks Gail :)

I seem to be overthinking just about everything for this vacation. But I am no longer worrying about this issue. Nice job with not smoking! People who are able to quit are total rock stars in my eyes. Enjoy your May cruise!

[quote name='solocanadian'][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]I too agree with this statement. Jules, enjoy your balcony & smoke - don't ask your neighbours. The anti smokers can choose another cruise line. I know the feeling. Was on Champix for 14 weeks & haven't had a smoke for 2 weeks. I am Canadian & am saving $100.00 a week. Still would love a smoke but am determined not to. Want to be well prepared for my Hal cruise in May where I can't afford a balcony since I sail solo. So sick & tired of reading on this board people telling smokers to quit. I may take advice from someone I love, but not from some self-ritious person who I will probably never meet. Enjoy your suite cruise with your daughter. :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

To you and the OP from a former smoker, with the best of intentions and with my full support of whatever you want to do: I used the gum and I used it often. DH and I quit at the same time and he was going out of his mind. I was fine because I had the gum and because I wanted to beat him at this game:cool:. Eventually he got wise and used the lozenges. It's been months now and although the devil is still right behind the door, I keep thinking how much money we are saving- probably 20 bucks a day, thank you New York State. The cancer issue always seems so remote, due to the insane amount of denial necessary to keep smoking while everyone else has quit, but the money thing drove me crazy.

Good luck to you, OP:).

[quote name='GreenhornUSA']I was a smoker for 40 years or so, and not just the occasional smoker but the 2 pack a day smoker!

I quit smoking regular cigarettes a little over 5 months ago and started using electronic cigarettes. You may have heard a bunch of controversy about them, but they [B]worked for me![/B]
You can still have your nicotine, there is no odor, and you're not putting smoke in your lungs! I feel better and everyone around me is much happier. There are a lot of different brands out there, and a lot of different flavors. Some are terrible, but there are several good ones, IMHO.
Also ends up being a lot cheaper than cigarettes, at the rate they are taxing them anymore![/quote]

Me too! Started with e-cigs about 17 months ago. Still smoke a few "real" cigarettes each day, but that is a big improvement over 1-1/2 packs per day.

I smoke on vacation and this is our first cruise. I was wondering how I am going to enjoy my coffee and cig in the morning, after lunch and at dinner. Hopefully no one will be too upset. I will take your recommendation about asking our neighbours if they mind.

[quote name='JulesBee']Thanks for all the replies. I feel much better about the situation. I know I am overthinking it.

My daughter is 12, and while I know it sounds silly that she doesn't know I smoke, I am 100% sure that she doesn't know. I don't smoke at home and I have my last cigarette hours before I get there. Ridiculous maybe, but it works for me.

And yes, quitting is the smarter option but after the last few years I'll take the relaxation where I can get it. I don't think non-smokers understand just how hard it is to give up...Plus, my daddy didn't raise a quitter! ;)

I will take your advice and let my neighbors know, and I also won't worry about it so much (knew I was being silly). Besides on HAL I'm guessing most people will be snoozing away by the time I get out there to light up.

-Jules[/quote]

Forgive me for not going all the way to the end of this thread before responding. If someone else has already mentioned this, then I guess nothing more than a "repetition lends emphasis" can be accepted.

It seems you received a nicely balanced amount of replies up to this point. I do have one concern, however, about your morning smoke on your balcony. I realize you are hoping your daughter is sleeping and doesn't awaken while you are smoking. What would you do if she did awaken and open the door as you are smoking? Would you quickly toss it over the railing to avoid her catching the cigarette in your hand? I ask this because it is a knee-jerk reaction and not something one would think out.

That would be very dangerous. A tossed cigarette could get caught by the wind and end up on another deck. A fire could even ensue depending on whether there are towels or cushions involved.

You really MUST use the ashtray provided on your deck. Then you will need to dispose of the butt in the ashtray once it is really out. If you cannot do this, PLEASE enjoy your cigarettes in the designated areas of the ship. At this point, I am more concerned with your being able to dispose of your cigarette butts in a safe manner. Fires frighten me terribly.

[quote name='iceleven']Forgive me for not going all the way to the end of this thread before responding. If someone else has already mentioned this, then I guess nothing more than a "repetition lends emphasis" can be accepted.

It seems you received a nicely balanced amount of replies up to this point. I do have one concern, however, about your morning smoke on your balcony. I realize you are hoping your daughter is sleeping and doesn't awaken while you are smoking. What would you do if she did awaken and open the door as you are smoking? Would you quickly toss it over the railing to avoid her catching the cigarette in your hand? I ask this because it is a knee-jerk reaction and not something one would think out.

That would be very dangerous. A tossed cigarette could get caught by the wind and end up on another deck. A fire could even ensue depending on whether there are towels or cushions involved.

You really MUST use the ashtray provided on your deck. Then you will need to dispose of the butt in the ashtray once it is really out. If you cannot do this, PLEASE enjoy your cigarettes in the designated areas of the ship. At this point, I am more concerned with your being able to dispose of your cigarette butts in a safe manner. Fires frighten me terribly.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure in that case she would do what any good parent would and swallow it.

(unsubscribing)

[quote name='Seago2']I'm sure in that case she would do what any good parent would and swallow it.

(unsubscribing)[/quote]
Love it!
In case you're interested, here's my favorite e-cig company. I use the Tribeca flavor, very pleasant without trying to taste too much like a real cig.
[url]http://www.halocigs.com/g6/electronic-cigarette-starter-kit.html[/url]

Trust me, I'm not trying to sell anybody anything!

[quote name='iceleven']Forgive me for not going all the way to the end of this thread before responding. If someone else has already mentioned this, then I guess nothing more than a "repetition lends emphasis" can be accepted.

You really MUST use the ashtray provided on your deck. Then you will need to dispose of the butt in the ashtray once it is really out. If you cannot do this, PLEASE enjoy your cigarettes in the designated areas of the ship. At this point, I am more concerned with your being able to dispose of your cigarette butts in a safe manner. Fires frighten me terribly.[/quote]

*sigh* When I said that I only smoke early in the morning or late at night I was speaking in general terms.

I don't have a set schedule for when I smoke.

I am not an inconsiderate person, and would NEVER throw a cigarette over-board.

I'm not going to go into a rundown of how I ensure I have a private moment for a cigarette or how I safely and discretely dispose of my 'butts' (and no, I don't litter) or anything like that.

While I understand that this may be something that people do onboard a ship, I promise that I will use the gray matter in my head. Rest assured.

-Jules

[quote name='GreenhornUSA']Love it!
In case you're interested, here's my favorite e-cig company. I use the Tribeca flavor, very pleasant without trying to taste too much like a real cig.
[URL]http://www.halocigs.com/g6/electronic-cigarette-starter-kit.html[/URL]

Trust me, I'm not trying to sell anybody anything![/quote]

Thank you! I've tried some in the past and I just couldn't get used to them. While I enjoyed the lack of smell and the nice taste, it just didn't 'scratch that itch'. I will check these out. :)

-Jules

I tried a few at first that were just plain terrible! I tried this on a recommendation from a friend and haven't been able to tolerate another flavor since.
I see that they sell some disposables at the convenience stores, but I'm afraid to try them!

[quote name='GreenhornUSA']I tried a few at first that were just plain terrible! I tried this on a recommendation from a friend and haven't been able to tolerate another flavor since.
I see that they sell some disposables at the convenience stores, but I'm afraid to try them![/quote]

Well I just submitted my order! :D This makes it all so much easier...for so many reasons.

I guess this entire thread is moot now. lol

Thanks again for the info and [B]thanks to everyone[/B] for all the comments. It's been an interesting introduction to CC. I felt very welcome for the most part and got a lot of awesome tips and suggestions. Seems to be a great group of people here at CC and with page upon page of valuable information, I'm sure glad I stumbled onto it.

So for now, 'Over and Out' :)

Jules,
I hope you like them!
Let me know when you get them. I always like to know if someone is satisfied (or not) with something I recommend!
Like I said, they really worked for me. I have smoked an occasional real cig about once or twice a month. Guess I just can't say goodbye completely after all the time we spent together!
They actually start to taste strange after awhile, and boy do they stink!

[quote name='JulesBee']I can't believe how nervous I am to even broach this subject. But, before you stop reading and send me flame after flame, I truly am looking for suggestions.

First maybe some generic info:

I am sailing on the Oosterdam to Alaska this June. This will be my first cruise as an adult. The first was in the Caribbean on the Westerdam in 1993 when I was 17. My daughter and I have had a few rough years and have been wanting to do an Alaskan cruise since forever. We are finally doing it and will be in an aft suite...hooray!!

Okay...here goes.

I am a smoker (ducks and covers). After coming to these boards recently I see that this is a huge issue among sailers. I don't smoke very often, and as my daughter has NO idea that I smoke I am very careful about it. This means I only smoke maybe 2-3 times a day and sometimes not even that much (usually late at night or early in the morning. Maybe once or twice mid-day if the kiddo is off with friends).

But even if I don't smoke often, I know it smells badly to non-smokers (and to me in excess). I want to enjoy this cruise, but I also don't want to be inconsiderate of my neighbors. I will, most likely, have a few cigarettes on my aft balcony during the cruise, but I won't be out there more than 1-2 times a day.

What can I do to ensure my neighbors don't want to throw me overboard? Is it a good idea to ask them to let me know if it's bothering them? Is there anyway to smoke on a balcony and not be ostracized?

Now, maybe this is a silly question and I certainly never thought I would be asking it. But after looking around on the threads I can't believe the amount of time that is spent being so upset about it on both sides on the spectrum.

I just want to enjoy my cruise and am so thankful that we are finally able to take a break from reality. I am pretty easy going and try to roll with the punches, but I don't want my relaxation time to make someone else uncomfortable. So I thought if anyone has any advice or suggestions it might be worth asking.

Or it's possible that this is something that has no solution and I might as well gear myself up for some major hate no matter how infrequently I indulge or how careful I try to be? I hope not. It's vacation for all of us afterall.

Did you hear that? I think it was the sound of pandora's box opening. :)

Sorry this is so long. If anyone read my mini novel, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

-Jules[/quote]

[COLOR=black][B]My husband and I were on the Veendam this January. We are both smokers and found that there were places available for smokers. There is also a small area in thr Crow's Nest for smokers and the view is wonderful. I talked to both of my balcony neighbors and there were no problems as they were non-smokers and we didn't smoke when they were on the balcony or when we were in scenic areas. [/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][B]We didn't have any problems, because there are plenty of areas to smoke. Enjoy your cruise.[/B][/COLOR]

and I have never smelled smoke on my clothes but then I don't spend hours in there. I remenber going to Bars in DC and having to take all my clothes off and put them in the laundry when smoking was allowed. Perhaps the people who douse themselves in perfume cause their clothes to absorb smoke.

"All staterooms will be non-smoking areas, in addition to the other areas that were already defined as non-smoking. Smoking will continue to be permitted outside on stateroom verandahs. There are designated areas available for smoking both inside the ships and on outside decks as detailed above."

[url]http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Onboard+Policies[/url]

That's from HAL's website, for cruises departing after January 15, 2012.

I suspect one of you is ill-informed. I doubt either of you claims to know everything.

Now, if we weren't talking about smoking on the verandah, then what WERE we talking about??? I'm sure somebody will rush to educate me, and for that (if done politely, even charmingly), I thank you.

[quote name='May B']"All staterooms will be non-smoking areas, in addition to the other areas that were already defined as non-smoking. Smoking will continue to be permitted outside on stateroom verandahs. There are designated areas available for smoking both inside the ships and on outside decks as detailed above."

[URL]http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Onboard+Policies[/URL]

That's from HAL's website, for cruises departing after January 15, 2012.

I suspect one of you is ill-informed. I doubt either of you claims to know everything.

[B]Now, if we weren't talking about smoking on the verandah, then what WERE we talking about??? I'm sure somebody will rush to educate me, and for that (if done politely, even charmingly), I thank you.[/B][/quote]

Nicely, done May. This thread [I]has[/I] drifted a bit. A very pleasant poster has asked about smoking a little bit on her balcony, and you know how it can take off from there... (but you knew that already)

I see that you leave on a cruise tomorrow. So Bon voyage!
(was that charming enough? :D)

Kathy,

You are a delightful example of most CCers, wanting to be helpful, and also charming! Yes, that was perfect.

Thank you for your good wishes. Since I am about 98% packed, you can see I'm really only thinking of ... cruising!

--May

[quote=cruisin'girl;32917133]Holland allows smoking on verandas. If non-smokers book a veranda smoking has become their problem, not yours. There isn't a reason in the world to ask permission of anyone and frankly you would just be opening up a can of worms. Your neighbors might be folks who are on their balcony for hours at a time and once you ask for their permission you are committing yourself to not smoking while they are out there if they say they object. Smoking is allowed yet you are putting a guilt trip on yourself. It's their problem and Holland's, not yours. .....[/quote]Very astute and perceptive observations!

It is well known that the verandas on HAL ships are designated smoking areas.
Someone who feels the need for approval from total strangers to smoke there would be perceived as someone with far more serious personal problems than smoking.

[quote name='fleckle']Very astute and perceptive observations!

It is well known that the verandas on HAL ships are designated smoking areas.
Someone who feels the need for approval from total strangers to smoke there would be perceived as someone with far more serious personal problems than smoking.[/quote]

I do actually have far more serious personal problems than smoking. But I wasn't asking for permission to smoke. Only for some tips on the best way to handle it after seeing what a heated (no pun intended :)) issue it is on these boards.

[quote name='GreenhornUSA']Jules,
I hope you like them!
Let me know when you get them. I always like to know if someone is satisfied (or not) with something I recommend!
Like I said, they really worked for me. I have smoked an occasional real cig about once or twice a month. Guess I just can't say goodbye completely after all the time we spent together!
They actually start to taste strange after awhile, and boy do they stink![/quote]

I will let you know for sure! :)

[quote name='JulesBee']I do actually have far more serious personal problems than smoking. [B]But I wasn't asking for permission to smoke. Only for some tips on the best way to handle it [/B]after seeing what a heated (no pun intended :)) issue it is on these boards.[/quote][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Jules, I'm sorry that you are having problems and that some people apparently are attempting to create still more problems for you.

You are wise not to ask for permission to smoke, since you already have that permission from the cruise line.

Most likely the subject will not even be an issue at all once you are on the ship.

But since you are asking for tips on the best way to handle it:

Just in case you should encounter anyone who tries to bully you or even begins to lecture you, do not let them intimidate you and do not give them the satisfaction of replying because that only encourages such people. Avoid confrontation, which can only lead to escalation.

No matter how tempting it may be to say something back to them, if any [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] passengers try to harass you, it[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] is best simply to ignore them, report them and let the ship's security people deal with them.

As to your relationship with your daughter and what she does or doesn't know, that is none of our business.

One of the things I have discovered in life through the years is that most of the "what if" problems I wasted time worrying about and agonizing over never occurred.

You seem to be a very nice person who has gone through some rough times in your life. I sincerely hope that your upcoming cruise turns out to be a most relaxing, enjoyable one for you and your daughter, a vacation that provides a respite from all the problems life has handed you, and that you return from the trip happy and refreshed with wonderful memories.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='JulesBee']I do actually have far more serious personal problems than smoking. But I wasn't asking for permission to smoke. Only for some tips on the best way to handle it after seeing what a heated (no pun intended :)) issue it is on these boards.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]Jules, be happy with the knowledge of who YOU are and the fact that while many on these boards and other on CC have their strong opinions about various matters, you have done your homework and have ideas before you cruise:)

I ask that you not let the comments you've received today be taken as the majority thoughts. They are more vocal than others (as am I:D,) BUT we are in the minority of the actual cruisers you will find aboard the ship:)

Believe me, there are some you may wish to throttle due to how they might have replied today, but in time you will learn that they are really wonderful people and that for some reason what they are trying to say in all honesty comes off so differently on the boards. Sad but true and in all fairness, I think that most everyone is really nice and means well:)

I think fleckle speaks so well, in the post above mine, of what I am trying to say!!

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived