Before final payment ES Question

payne5p

My final payment is coming up the 22nd. We have booked two cabins. My two twenty something daughters are in 1 cabin. One of them is not going to be able to go. Currently the ES rate is higher than our booking.

I know I can cancel daughter before final payment and pay the $50 penalty and have the remainder held for future cruise. But, will I have to pay for the solo cabin at the current ES price or the booking price?

If I don't cancel and have her as a no show, will any OBC for potential price drops be for the cabin or applied to each daughter's account?

Also, if we don't cancel, I can take off her prepaid tips since final payment hasn't been made. I also see a star by her name on the Carnival manage my cruise. Does that mean she is the primary guest? If so, I would imagine I should change that to other daughter.

Thanks for your help. I am a first time cruiser and this board has really helped!

I would carefully think out your plan to cancel. I am sure you are aware if the other daughter is solo in the cabin after you cancel the other daughter, she would then have to pony up 200%, and pay for 2 pax anyway.

I would remove the prepaid tips from the one daughter and have her be a no show myself .. and her add on taxes and fees will be automatically refunded after the cruise.

PS I went thru this myself .. pax #2 cancelled .. and by the time you figure in the $50 fee, the fact that the rest of the deposit is held for 2 years in the name of someone who might not want to cruise again, let alone in the next 2 years .. and I would still have to pay the 2nd fare if she cancelled .. it made no sense to cancel.

I cant see how it matters but yes, daughter left cruising solo would then just pay the same fare X 2 that she is booked under. .. but cant see why you would do this?? It cant be any kind of savings.

If you've already paid for 2p in the cabin then you've paid the rate to sail, right? I don't get when folks say you have to pay 200% - it's already been paid at 200% when 2 ppl initially booked. I'm still booked single ((don't want to add on the add'l passenger(s) until I'm sure they can go)) but I'm booked and almost paid in full for the full rate as if 2 folks were sailing anyway.

Sorry, OP I couldn't answer your initial question, I suppose just trying to gather clarity for myself...I see this question asked a lot.

So is potential OBC by cabin and not by person?

The OBC would not change. If I pay 200% solo, or I pay for 2 people, the amount would be the same if the price dropped.

I think OP said she's before final payment so if final payment isn't made on one of the passengers couldn't they potentially cancel the whole cruise?

One daughter still wants to go. So, Im not sure she wants to cancel, what about the other daughter??

If you've already paid for 2p in the cabin then you've paid the rate to sail, right? I don't get when folks say you have to pay 200% - it's already been paid at 200% when 2 ppl initially booked. I'm still booked single ((don't want to add on the add'l passenger(s) until I'm sure they can go)) but I'm booked and almost paid in full for the full rate as if 2 folks were sailing anyway.

Sorry, OP I couldn't answer your initial question, I suppose just trying to gather clarity for myself...I see this question asked a lot.

Right but she wants to cancel one pax .. if she cancels then one deposit is removed, and the one pax pays $50 to cancel and her deposit is gone. Remaining pax will owe her cruisefare X 2. Only one add on taxes and fees, but if the OP let 2nd pax be a no show the 2nd add on taxes and fees would be refunded anyway.

Right now the 2nd deposit is paid, and that whole deposit is going to come out, and the remainder of the 2nd deposit is held in the name of daughter #2. That money is nonrefundable ..

Lets say the cruise is $1000, $500 pp, and the deposits are $250 pp. So OP has $500 up now in deposits.. if daughter #2 cancels .. $250 minus $50, so $200 is held in the name of daughter #2 for 2 years toward another cruise, and now daughter #2 still has to come up with $750 to pay off the cruise.

if daughter is a no show, then daughter who goes only has to come up with $500.

If you paid the deposit you can have it transferred to your name. Carnival has a form you need to fill out and show a statement where you paid. I had to do this with my stepson and I now have the credit in my name. We added another passenger to cabin so did not have to pay 200% for a solo rate.

If you paid the deposit you can have it transferred to your name. Carnival has a form you need to fill out and show a statement where you paid. I had to do this with my stepson and I now have the credit in my name. We added another passenger to cabin so did not have to pay 200% for a solo rate.

while this is true, in this case, if daughter #2 still wants to go .. the credit is held in someone's name and daughter who goes still has to come up with another $250 toward the final payment, or whatever the deposit was if one cancels. .. so there is no benefit in cancelling, and paying the $50 fee.

Now if daughter wants to join mom and the other cabin .. maybe mom can move to a triple .. in that case maybe they want to cancel the cabin. Thats a option.

Thanks to all for your help. Unfortunately, our other cabin is full (a quad) so no room for daughter to join us.

I believe I will make the final payment without any cancelling. Thanks for clarifying. I am glad to know that the OBC is per room and not per passenger. I was afraid I would lose half of it if one daughter was no show.

Thanks again!

Archived