weather in Los angeles and san franciso in may

In the L A area, in the april/may time frame that you are talking about the temps will be in the low 70's during the day and the mid 50's at night. On the southern California coast we always have overcast mornings in the spring but normally the clouds will burn off by noon.

What cruise line are you going on and what ports?

We have something called "June Gloom" that often starts a few months earlier. My birthday is in early May so I know that the weather at that time can be varied -- anything from the 60s (rain is scarce at that time, but has happened) to the 90s.

What I suggest is to keep checking the weather websites (weather.com, wunderground.com, news sites) a week or so before you leave for your cruise, but be prepared for the weather to change, too. We had temps in the 80s last week, but also in the low 60s. And that wasn't just where I live, but downtown LA.

You say "LAX", but does that mean you are flying out of LAX and leaving from San Francisco? If you are sailing, it's from the Port of Los Angeles (which is in San Pedro) or the Port of Long Beach (Carnival uses this port). We don't use "LAX" except to indicate the Los Angeles International Airport. So if you are getting in a taxi, make sure you use the right destination (if you say LAX, you'll be taken to that airport). Just a clarification.

We have something called "June Gloom" that often starts a few months earlier. My birthday is in early May so I know that the weather at that time can be varied -- anything from the 60s (rain is scarce at that time' date=' but has happened) to the 90s.

What I suggest is to keep checking the weather websites (weather.com, wunderground.com, news sites) a week or so before you leave for your cruise, but be prepared for the weather to change, too. We had temps in the 80s last week, but also in the low 60s. And that wasn't just where I live, but downtown LA.

You say "LAX", but does that mean you are flying out of LAX and leaving from San Francisco? If you are sailing, it's from the Port of Los Angeles (which is in San Pedro) or the Port of Long Beach (Carnival uses this port). We don't use "LAX" except to indicate the Los Angeles International Airport. So if you are getting in a taxi, make sure you use the right destination (if you say LAX, you'll be taken to that airport). Just a clarification.[/quote']

Curiously, Amtrak uses "LAX" to designate Union Station in downtown L.A., far from the airport. Bring light rain gear, or at least umbellas, just in case. You can see monthly average temps and rainfall for San Pedro (or Long Beach) and San Francisco by going to www.weather.com, and, after inputting the city you want and finding today's weather, clicking on "Monthly" and then "Averages."

Curiously, Amtrak uses "LAX" to designate Union Station in downtown L.A., far from the airport. Bring light rain gear, or at least umbellas, just in case. You can see monthly average temps and rainfall for San Pedro (or Long Beach) and San Francisco by going to www.weather.com, and, after inputting the city you want and finding today's weather, clicking on "Monthly" and then "Averages."

Amtrak's practice of indicating their stations by the airport abbreviations continues to amaze me, considering that often the train stations aren't anywhere near the airport. Doesn't surprise me, though, considering that Amtrak is run by the government.

I did want to emphasize to the OP not to use LAX except when referring to the actual airport or the area surrounding the airport to avoid any confusion if booking a hotel, sightseeing, or telling a shuttle or taxi driver where they need to go.

Amtrak's practice of indicating their stations by the airport abbreviations continues to amaze me' date=' considering that often the train stations aren't anywhere near the airport. Doesn't surprise me, though, considering that Amtrak is run by the government.

I did want to emphasize to the OP not to use LAX except when referring to the actual airport or the area surrounding the airport to avoid any confusion if booking a hotel, sightseeing, or telling a shuttle or taxi driver where they need to go.[/quote']

And they are not even consistent about it. Vancouver, BC is VAC for Amtrak not YVR, San Francisco has a number of bus stops and one full station, SFC, not SFO, Oakland is OKJ. While LA is LAX, Seattle is SEA, and Portland is PDX.

Best thing to do is just consider they have their own station codes, sometimes like the airport, but sometimes not. And never to confuse it with the airport even if the code is the same.

Archived