How do you carry your onboard cruise card

kazda

In the daytime, it goes in my beach bag which has my book, camera, etc. If I don't need the beach bag, it goes in a wristlet with my camera.

At night, always in a wristlet along with my camera and whatever other little items I might need (lip gloss, etc).

Do you carry a camera with strap around with you?

I am a hobby photographer and never leave the room without a camera ..either waterproof p&S or my DSLR.

Since I already have 1 strap around my neck ~ having two can be a pain!

I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/GBC-BadgeMates-Translucent-Carabiner-3747498/dp/B0036IYLV2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1332106172&sr=8-8

There are a million different brands and colors. The carabiner makes it so I can hook it to anything on my body. 99% of the time I clip it to my camera strap... higher up so it doesn't get in the way of the lens. If I am using a wrist strap with my waterproof p&S I add it to the wrist strap... or my shirt ..or belt... You can hook it to your bra as well....

If I am leaving the ship for the day I always have my camera day bag with me, which holds a battery or 2, a memory card and a lens or 2. I will attach this to my camera bag.

If you have any fashion sense, don't use a lanyard.

LOL , yea I carry mine in my pocket , not sure I have any fashion sense thats where I like to carry it. My wife's cousin have been traveling with us the past few years ,and well , I love them dearly but you could say he is a bit of a redneck . he has the lanyard and on the back side he has a bottle opener attatched for his Bud Heavys :p

Lanyards are unfashionable now, eh? Used to be the "thing" to do, you'd see it suggested all over these boards. Then .... something happened?... and now that's just not cool any more :D

I still use a lanyard or a wrist coil -- it's convenient, BUT apparently very unfashionable.

Whatever you do don't put them in a magnetized wallet or around magnets that hold wallet closed, or near your digital camera, the last cruise I had gone through three before the purser on duty finally realized I was 'deleting' my card by carrying it in a small wrist wallet [with magnetic closure] the third card was all alone with the camera, minus the wallet and he said the camera batteries could wipe it clean? Just a piece of wisdom to share...:rolleyes:

I always carry my card in my shirt pocket.

As long as I don't stand on my head, it stays there!

I have never lost one after 230 nights at sea.

In my cabin, I pack a spot on the counter near the mirror and always put it in that spot when I return to the cabin.

Whatever you do don't put them in a magnetized wallet or around magnets that hold wallet closed, or near your digital camera, the last cruise I had gone through three before the purser on duty finally realized I was 'deleting' my card by carrying it in a small wrist wallet [with magnetic closure] the third card was all alone with the camera, minus the wallet and he said the camera batteries could wipe it clean? Just a piece of wisdom to share...:rolleyes:

OR the magnetic sunglass clip-ons! I did that a few cruises ago - getting onto the ship, I'd hand security my seapass, take off my 'clip-ons' (not the ugly ones that don't fit right, but the ones that come with the glasses frames) as requested - so at least I'd get back on the ship. So now I have the magnetic sunglasses in the same hand as my seapass, and can't get into the cabin. This is now on my list of 'things to remember'.

As for a lanyard, I must be dorky - between my sunglass clip-ons and my lanyard! :eek: But I DO find the lanyard to be very helpful on the days I'm only wearing sundress or swimsuit coverup and have no pockets. For some semblance of fashion sense, I make polymer clay beads to match the majority of my casual cruise wardrobe and make the lanyard from that, like a long beaded necklace. I've seen others make some very pretty ones from store-bought beads. I'll make some earrings, ankle bracelets, etc. in matching beads so I'm tres coordinated:rolleyes:. And truthfully, if I wasn't craftsy, I'd be just fine with a plain old lanyard rather than carrying around a purse that I'd more often than not leave somewhere, or bending it in a pocket.

One of our fellow cruisers last year cruises so often, she carried her own handy-dandy hole punch, so we didn't have to wait at the guest relations desk after running into her.

The DW has cleared a few cards via the clutch purse. Now she just wraps the card with a piece of paper that the cruise line is so nice to provide you with in the desk drawer.

The key for me isn't where I carry it... front right pocket. But HOW... For me i'm a little OCD as for the card has to be arrows down and magnetic strip out. Why? Because when you reach into your pocket and pull out the card then turn your hand over, the card is in the correct position to go into the door and open it... Go ahead... Try it... See, it works everytime. Take an old sea pass and practice. Arrows down, stripe out, rotate wrist, walk into cabin without fumbling with your card or spilling your drink!:D

Archived