Suite Guests....Oasis..... Heads Up...Royal in the wrong direction

Well Steve, I heartily agree that suites are simply not worth the expense IMO. I see nothing there to compell me to spend more money to have essentially the same experience as those in cheaper cabins and worse, it seems the same experience while engendering feelings of animosity from others "Well, who do they think THEY are". (you can see it here on this thread)

There are people who can afford to pay extra for a different kind of experience. But I haven't figured out why people do it on RCL. :confused: I have never found the RCL suite experience to be worth the money or the negative responses you get from other pax to be worth the extra expense. Simply put, if the travel provider can't provide me with a significant difference in experience and access, I don't find it worth the money. And now RCL is decreasing those amenities and experiences? Makes no sense to me, but I suppose as long as people continue to book them, they can get what they demand!

This isn't a suite guest against all else thread....so no need to turn it that way...I wasn't even staying in a suite on this sailing....but when you are that was a nice perk and part of the reason you are paying $5000/pp I disagree I feel you are paying the higher price for the better room and the amenities in the room.If paying more meant you get more perks.Then where are the perks between paying for a inside cabin and a oceanview or a room with a balcony? There is none.Should the people in the suites get first pick of everything because they paid more?And then the people who paid for an inside cabin gets whats left. Sorry there are no seats left at tonights show if you paid for an inside cabin all the suite guest and balcony guest wanted to go to the show tonight sorry. I think everyone on the ship should be treated the same! Because once you leave your cabin there is no diffrence between any of us no matter what type of room your sleeping in.:)

This policy change also now burdens the concierges...who are already quite busy on Oasis....it always amazed me to see how many suite guests didn't make advance reservations and were standing in a big line the first day trying to have the concierges help them get reservations...the concierges also have to do this by phone....they don't have open access on-line.

Steve when I saw this thread, I knew that you had opened a can of worms with some of the other posters on this board. Put on the flame suit. :D

Steve when I saw this thread, I knew that you had opened a can of worms with some of the other posters on this board. Put on the flame suit. :D

LOL.....Gordon.....when you are on this board as long as us you learn to transform into Ice-Man :cool:

Heaven forbid a suite guest would have to stand in line like a mere commoner :eek:.

Prices for a cruise vary according to the cabin and are determined by location, size, balcony, amenities, butler, piano, hot tub, etc. With the exception of a few perks, it is the cabin that is the difference in cost-not the food, entertainment, etc-those are standard for all on board.

There is no reason someone in a suite should get any priority for shows any more than they should be able to bump others in a line for ice cream or waffles.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

What are people that have reservations supposed to do if enough suite people without them are allowed in and then there are no more seats? RCI still reserves seats for suite guests and I can see letting those seats go to suite guests without reservations. But when those are gone then it would seem to make sense to me that those folks should either have to have reservations for the open seating or wait until the threater is opened up for guests without reservations.

Maybe next when the reserved deck chairs by the pool are all filled up suite guests should be able to walk up to someone in the non-reserved area, flash their gold cards and demand that the person in the chair vacate it.

I agree 100% maybe everyone else on the ship should just put their whole cruise on hold until the people in the suites deceide what they want to do! Everyone else can just sit in their cabins until the suite people figure out want they want to do then everyone else can have the left overs. Give me a break if you dont like it dont pay for the suite.There are other people on the cruise to you know and just because you deceided to pay for a suite doesnt mean it should effect my cruise.If you dont like it pay for a cheaper cabin. Sounds kind of snooby to me.People always think that they are entilted to so much no matter how it affects other people.Hey I just thought of something since the suite people pay so much why not have their own private part of the ship. Lets say the Back 90% of the ship is for the people who paid for a suite and the rest is for the commoner.We will stay in are 10% of the ship and then they:eek: can throw us some morsels once in a while.:(

Sounds to me like a whole lot of jealousy going on here.

I have never booked a suite, and have no near term plans to book one. However, if I ever do book a suite, I would certainly expect some perks to go with it. Just like getting a meal, a bag of chips, and a candy bar, instead of just a bag of peanuts when flying first class.

Nobody is getting "bumped" in the show line by suite guests.

Nobody is getting removed from their seat to accomodate a suite guest.

Nobody is being asked to put anything on hold until a suite guest decides what they want to do.

The hyperbole on this thread is almost as bad as listening to politicians.

Sounds to me like a whole lot of jealousy going on here.

I have never booked a suite, and have no near term plans to book one. However, if I ever do book a suite, I would certainly expect some perks to go with it. Just like getting a meal, a bag of chips, and a candy bar, instead of just a bag of peanuts when flying first class.

Nobody is getting "bumped" in the show line by suite guests.

Nobody is getting removed from their seat to accomodate a suite guest.

Nobody is being asked to put anything on hold until a suite guest decides what they want to do.

The hyperbole on this thread is almost as bad as listening to politicians.

Give me a break.....:rolleyes:

I have always seen the suite sections in shows to be a smallish area that is clearly marked. I know as a suite guest that I have to arrive early enough to get one of theses suites. This is a MAJOR perk that factors into my paying for a suite. Usually the sections don't fill up with suite guests and the area is opened up to everyone else a few minutes before the show. But, if I show up too late and there's no room for me, too bad for me.

My biggest issue is having to pre-plan my vacation so extensively. I like having flexibility to be spontaneous. This is one reason I've stopped going to Disney World. If you want to just wing it there, nothing is available.

There are lots of ways to vacation, and lots of cruise lines. There are usually good choices. I can only think of three decent benefits of having a suite on RCI. Bigger cabin. Concierge Lounge. And available seating at shows. There are certainly no food benefits. Losing this very valuable feature of the suite experience would significantly diminish its value.

I´m cruising in suites and I say - so what.

The reason to book a suite and spend the money for it certainly is not to enter a showtime without reservation, when most of the time you can get a seat without reservation even as a non-suite guest.:rolleyes:

A lot ado about nothing IMO

I have always seen the suite sections in shows to be a smallish area that is clearly marked. I know as a suite guest that I have to arrive early enough to get one of theses suites. This is a MAJOR perk that factors into my paying for a suite. Usually the sections don't fill up with suite guests and the area is opened up to everyone else a few minutes before the show. But, if I show up too late and there's no room for me, too bad for me.

My biggest issue is having to pre-plan my vacation so extensively. I like having flexibility to be spontaneous. This is one reason I've stopped going to Disney World. If you want to just wing it there, nothing is available.

There are lots of ways to vacation, and lots of cruise lines. There are usually good choices. I can only think of three decent benefits of having a suite on RCI. Bigger cabin. Concierge Lounge. And available seating at shows. There are certainly no food benefits. Losing this very valuable feature of the suite experience would significantly diminish its value.

That was one of my concerns when they came out with the reservation system for Oasis and Allure. I figured how do I know what I will want to do in the evening 2 months ahead of time? As it turned out, with so much going on aboard the two ships, it ended up providing a great way to make sure everything was fit into the week. Some pre-cruise planning goes a long way on these two ships.

I am most upset to hear this. One of the reasons we booked a suite was for this so called perk. Bad move Royal!!!

This is why I was agreeing with Steve; if folks like yourselves who think suites are worth it now think this is a bad idea, it's certainly not going increase suite bookings among folks like myself who already feel they aren't worth it.

I'm wondering why though, if you have to go early to the show to get the suite seating, that would be considered a perk? We usually go about 20 minutes to a half hour depending on the show and what else is going on, but we've never had a bad seat in the regular sections. Anyway, for folks who like to wing it, I think them taking this " perk" away would make it less likely for them to book a suite.

Not to open another can of worms but, another question for people who think the CL is a perk...can one actually drink enough from 5-8 to justify the $1000 more per person in the fare? ( which is generally what the GS is over a standard balcony when I've priced them ) I'm wondering if most folks could budget 1/2 that and go to any public lounge and drink whatever they needed daily in 7 days and spend more than that? I'm not trying to be facetious, I really am not seeing the value?:confused:

So , for me, that leaves just the larger, more optimally located cabin as the biggest perk. And for some that could be worth it. Anyway, I am only saying I can see where suite guests would be upset about having even less value for their money!

That was one of my concerns when they came out with the reservation system for Oasis and Allure. I figured how do I know what I will want to do in the evening 2 months ahead of time? As it turned out, with so much going on aboard the two ships, it ended up providing a great way to make sure everything was fit into the week. Some pre-cruise planning goes a long way on these two ships.

We'll see. I'm on my first Allure cruise in a couple weeks. Have mixed feelings because it is SO big. I'm going with no expectations, so I know I'll have a great time (oops, that is an expectation).

This is why I was agreeing with Steve; if folks like yourselves who think suites are worth it now think this is a bad idea, it's certainly not going increase suite bookings among folks like myself who already feel they aren't worth it.

I'm wondering why though, if you have to go early to the show to get the suite seating, that would be considered a perk? We usually go about 20 minutes to a half hour depending on the show and what else is going on, but we've never had a bad seat in the regular sections. Anyway, for folks who like to wing it, I think them taking this " perk" away would make it less likely for them to book a suite.

Not to open another can of worms but, another question for people who think the CL is a perk...can one actually drink enough from 5-8 to justify the $1000 more per person in the fare? ( which is generally what the GS is over a standard balcony when I've priced them ) I'm wondering if most folks could budget 1/2 that and go to any public lounge and drink whatever they needed daily in 7 days and spend more than that? I'm not trying to be facetious, I really am not seeing the value?:confused:

So , for me, that leaves just the larger, more optimally located cabin as the biggest perk. And for some that could be worth it. Anyway, I am only saying I can see where suite guests would be upset about having even less value for their money!

That is the one and only reason for me to book a suite. If they throw some perks at me ok, but none of those perks would be worth the additional money if it weren´t for the bigger room. In fact I rarely ever use those perks anyway. The only perk I use is the CL and I can use that anyway regardless of cabin category. Now even if I couldn´t use the CL to answer your question nope to me the money for drinks wouldn´t make a difference. I go to the CL to mingle and most of the time all I have in there is a glass of juice. I certainly could have that cheaper at any bar compared to the added expense of a suite;) Now that´s me and I certainly have seen people in there, who probably drank their money worth.:eek:

My guess is that they are wanting to have the option to used the "reserved seating" for non-suite passengers if needed. If they reserve, say 100 seats for suite passengers, and only 40 suite pax arrive for the show, that's 60 seats that could be used for other people. Telling 60 passengers that they can't come to the show because a suite passenger "might" show up is not too fair on the other side of the fence. I'm assuming that they are using the reservation system for everyone to be more fair across the board. If a non-suite passenger has to "plan ahead" and call to make a reservation, I guess I don't see why it's so difficult for a suite passenger to do the same - it's common courtesy to notify others of your intentions.

My guess is that they are wanting to have the option to used the "reserved seating" for non-suite passengers if needed. If they reserve, say 100 seats for suite passengers, and only 40 suite pax arrive for the show, that's 60 seats that could be used for other people. Telling 60 passengers that they can't come to the show because a suite passenger "might" show up is not too fair on the other side of the fence. I'm assuming that they are using the reservation system for everyone to be more fair across the board. If a non-suite passenger has to "plan ahead" and call to make a reservation, I guess I don't see why it's so difficult for a suite passenger to do the same - it's common courtesy to notify others of your intentions.

The amount of seats roped off for suite guests is very small. Also, ten minutes prior to the show they open those seats up for general seating so suite guests are not keeping people who want to see the show from doing so.

As someone who has sailed in suites on two of my last four cruises, I have to say that I feel that sister line Celebrity has the better system of suite perks. IMHO the main perk of a suite should be the larger space one has to themself (i.e. the suite itself). Any perks should be inside of the suite (i.e. special room service menu, bottle of booze or what not). Outside of the suite, one should be treated the same as everybody else.

The amount of seats roped off for suite guests is very small. Also, ten minutes prior to the show they open those seats up for general seating so suite guests are not keeping people who want to see the show from doing so.

I think the problem only comes up on Oasis and Allure. Since the first day of Oasis, I've heard of people not getting into shows, making for very unhappy customers. Thus, the reservation system. I 'm not aware of this on any other ships. It's probably not necessary.

Bottom line . . . poorly designed ships. It's no surprise that RCI'S next ship will be smaller.

But, how many "reservations" do they hold open for suite guests? If they have 10 seats in the reserved section is that all they hold? I would say they hold more than that as many suite passengers sit elsewhere?

My bet is they were holding more spots for the suite guests causing the non suite guests to not be able to get reservations. When only half the suite guests then showed up for a particular show, the remaining were there for those in line, but if it was known ahead of time how many were attending more non suite guests could have had guaranteed reservations.

I am one that thinks suite guests should get more for what they pay, but it has to be balanced out to not take away for the ability of the rest to partake in the activities we also paid for.

Steve:

Sorry you are getting screamed at on this thread. People don't understand that the suite experience is just what the description says, an "experience" -- not just a bigger room.

For what the larger suites cost, you could go on Silversea or Crystal and have a full-ship, all-inclusive suite experience. RCCL knows this and usually goes out of its way to accommodate suite guests -- especially those in the high end suites.

Why don't you write to Adam Goldstein and ask why this is being done. I'm sure you'll get a sensible response -- not like some of the answers you're getting on here.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I think the problem only comes up on Oasis and Allure. Since the first day of Oasis, I've heard of people not getting into shows, making for very unhappy customers. Thus, the reservation system. I 'm not aware of this on any other ships. It's probably not necessary.

Bottom line . . . poorly designed ships. It's no surprise that RCI'S next ship will be smaller.

Nothing poorly designed at all about those two ships. RCI has implemented the reservation system on some of the Freedom class ships also. How many cruises do you have on the Oasis or Allure?

As someone who has sailed in suites on two of my last four cruises, I have to say that I feel that sister line Celebrity has the better system of suite perks. IMHO the main perk of a suite should be the larger space one has to themself (i.e. the suite itself). Any perks should be inside of the suite (i.e. special room service menu, bottle of booze or what not). Outside of the suite, one should be treated the same as everybody else.

Although I respectfully disagree with this statement, if that's the way a suite guest should be treated, lets make sure the loyalty program follows the same suit. Keep everything behind closed cabin doors. ;)

No need for any lounges, no need for priority boarding, no need for special breakfast area's and the list could keep going. I don't think many would like that idea but what's good for one should be good for the other don't ya think.:confused:

There is a new change to policy that I just don't understand.....suite/gold card holders used to have access to all shows on Oasis other than the comedy show (which I can understand since it's such a small venue) without advanced reservations....just show your gold card and enter....which is the way it should be. Now I was just told this past week on Oasis that policy is no longer in effect and that all suite/gold card holders have to have reservations like all other guests to be allowed access. This just makes no sense to me and is a step backwards in a very wrong direction. In the beginning when suite guests did need reservations (like they again do now) there were so many complaints about needing reservations for shows that they made the policy change in the first place and gave them free access....now they reversed it and went backwards:confused: IMO suite guests paying the money they are paying and now needing advanced reservation for shows on Oasis is terrible....so a heads up to suite guests.....don't plan on just walking into any show you like....you need reservations now:rolleyes:

I am sorry but paying in excess of $15000 for an AquaSuite or most any other suite for that fact for a family and having to stand in a stand-by line if they don't have a reservation just doesn't make any sense and is wrong...who ever reversed this policy needs to sit down and rethink it. So if you are thinking about spending LOTS of money reserving a suite and expecting some perks for it....well a BIG one has just again been lost.

But heres one of those I'm moaning and complaining issues IMHO. Go online reserve your shows, no big deal. Again some people aren'y happy unless they are miserable or complaining:rolleyes:

But, how many "reservations" do they hold open for suite guests? If they have 10 seats in the reserved section is that all they hold? I would say they hold more than that as many suite passengers sit elsewhere?

My bet is they were holding more spots for the suite guests causing the non suite guests to not be able to get reservations. When only half the suite guests then showed up for a particular show, the remaining were there for those in line, but if it was known ahead of time how many were attending more non suite guests could have had guaranteed reservations.

I am one that thinks suite guests should get more for what they pay, but it has to be balanced out to not take away for the ability of the rest to partake in the activities we also paid for.

We as many other suite guests do not use the seats saved for suite guests. We usually sit somewhere else. They only hold those seats until ten minutes prior to the show. Those seats do not take away from anyone. This new policy will not change one thing in the actual theater. Those seats will still be saved until ten minutes prior to the show.

But heres one of those I'm moaning and complaining issues IMHO. Go online reserve your shows, no big deal. Again some people aren'y happy unless they are miserable or complaining:rolleyes:

And then there are people like yourself here to raise your pom-poms every time someone posts something negative about RCI. :rolleyes:

Oops - didn't know that! So much for my logic!:D

Archived