What are your favorite places for lunch? And also your favorite "free" stuff to do?

pampaul

Sorry to put both questions in my title.

But we'll be in Bermuda for 3-4 days on the HAL Veendam.

Just wondering what your favorite little spot is for lunch. Whether it's a sit down restaurant or even a little roadside place for a quick burger/hot dog (if these even exist there).

And I'm also wondering what your favorite places are that are free? Which I'm pretty sure are sightseeing type stuff, which is fine.

At first I was thinking of hiring a private taxi to take a tour around the island, but hubby wants to just use the bus system and do things on our own. So I'm trying to compile a list of things to do while there. We'll also be doing a few things that have an admission to get in but we'd also like to do a few things that cost nothing.

Thanks!!!

We like to eat at the Hog Penny Pub, which is on a side street at 5 Burnaby Hill, just across Front Street from where the Veendam will be docked.

You can take a bus to the very historic town of St. George and explore it.

Take a ferry to Dockyard and take that in.

Do some window shopping (or real shopping) on Front St., where your ship docks.

I enjoy the Sea Glass Beach just outside the dockyard area. You can walk the distance or take the bus. There are good directions on the site, just put Sea Glass Beach into the search engine. The dunking of the wench in the Town Square in St. George every noon a lot of fun to watch. My daughter and I walked the old Railroad bed for a distance this last year. Great views and a really pretty walk. Tobacco Bay is a pretty walk outside of St. George and short distance further is St. Catherines Beach and view of the Fort. Love Gibb's lighthouse. It does cost $2 if you want to climb the 185 steps to the top. Wonderful views outside on the iron catwalk observation platform.

DW and I enjoy lunch at Gibbs Lighthouse. Nice views.

I'm not sure how recently you've been there, but the old tea room closed a few years ago. There's now a different restaurant in the lighthouse, and it's only open for lunch Thursday through Saturday. They do serve dinner every day.

http://www.primaverarestaurant.com/The_Dining_Room.html

But we'll be in Bermuda for 3-4 days on the HAL Veendam.

And I'm also wondering what your favorite places are that are free? Which I'm pretty sure are sightseeing type stuff, which is fine.

At first I was thinking of hiring a private taxi to take a tour around the island, but hubby wants to just use the bus system and do things on our own. So I'm trying to compile a list of things to do while there. We'll also be doing a few things that have an admission to get in but we'd also like to do a few things that cost nothing.

Thanks!!!

Here is a 'to do' list for Bermuda. Anything in Navy Blue requires an entry fee. All the others are free except for transportation costs.:

• go to the beach, most popular - Horseshoe Bay (#7);
  • walk the beach path that connects 5 beaches, start at Horseshoe, end at Warwick Bay (#7);
  • off the beach snorkeling - at Tobacco Bay (well protected), near St George & Church Bay (not), near Horseshoe Bay;
  • visit the Bermuda Aquarium Museum & Zoo (BAMZ) (#10 or #11);
  • visit the caves - Crystal & Fantasy (#1, #3, #10 or #11);
  • visit historical St George, a UNESCO World Heritage Center, (#1, #3, #10 or #11);
  • sea glass collecting (near Dockyard or near St George);
  • go horseback riding on beach/rail trail (#8);
  • visit forts: Fort Hamilton (free), Hamilton, Fort St Catherine, St George, and Scaur Hill Fort (free) (#7 or #8);
  • visit lighthouses: Gibbs L/H (can climb) (#7), St Davids L/H (#6);
  • shopping: Hamilton, Clocktower Mall Dockyard;
  • do a helmet dive, departs from Heritage Wharf, Dockyard;
  • do the Dolphin Quest, Dockyard;
  • sample rum cakes at the Bermuda Rum Cake Co, Dockyard;
  • visit the Bermuda Maritime Museum, Dockyard;
  • go golfing - Port Royal Golf Course, closest to Dockyard (#7 or #8);
  • walk the Botanical Gardens (#1, #2 or #7);
  • visit Bermuda Underwater Exploration Inst. (BUEI), Hamilton;
  • try hiking/biking the Railway Trail;
  • see the Unfinished Church, St George;
  • climb the bell tower of the Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity, Hamilton for outstanding view (donation required);
  • visit Paget Marsh nature trail (#2, #7 or #8);
  • visit Blue Hole Park nature reserve (#1, #3, #10 or #11);
  • see the smallest drawbridge, Somerset Bridge (#7 or #8);
  • visit the Dockyard Glassworks for demo;
  • try geocaching (thxs to CC mbr LoveMyBoxer);
  • watch the wench dunking, King's Square, St George. Weds & Sat @ noon (thxs to CC mbr Nana G);
  • weekly street festivals (thxs to CC mbr Nana G):
    • Market Nights, King's Square, St George - Tuesday night, late May - August,
    • Harbour Nights, Front St, Hamilton - Wednesday night, late May - August
    • Heritage Nights, Dockyard – Thursday nights, from May-end for 18 weeks

The number following some of the activities is the bus route that the activity is closest to.

SBtS

I'm not sure how recently you've been there, but the old tea room closed a few years ago. There's now a different restaurant in the lighthouse, and it's only open for lunch Thursday through Saturday. They do serve dinner every day.

http://www.primaverarestaurant.com/The_Dining_Room.html

:(

Thanks for the info. Yes it has been a few years since we were there. Going back this summer.

We may sound touristy, but we have always enjoyed Swizzler's Inn. They have two locations. Great menu, friendly service and don't forget to try their Rum Swizzle, although be warned that they are potent!

Enjoy!

Cathy

Archived