Which beach is better suited for us?

pampaul

We'll be in Cozumel in June. So far, the schedule looks like we're the only ship in port. :confused: THAT would be nice.

Anyhow, I've done some research and I like the reviews of Nachi Cocom. I like the idea of it being all inclusive. We are a family of four (two teenage boys 15 & 16). Hubby doesn't drink very much. In the 24 yrs that I've known him, I've probably seen him have 2-3 drinks and that was on the past couple of cruises (think rum punch type stuff). Nothing big. I would probably have a couple drinks (think 2-3). But I like that the food is included in the price, along with drinks. (Soda & alcohol) So, I found on their website that it's $49pp. That would be $200 for our family plus the taxi ride over and back. (not sure how much that currently is though)

Hubby on the other hand, would prefer Playa Planacar since it's free to get in. But you still have to pay the taxi fare both ways and the food. I have NO IDEA on how much it would cost for a family of four to have lunch at this beach (although I'm pretty sure it's not going to cost $200 LOL) And I know I would not order drinks if they weren't included (as in an all inclusive)

I guess after typing it all out, money wise, Playa Planacar sounds like a better deal, no? Hubby is all about how much $$$ needs to be dished out. LOL So on that account, I'm assuming PP is better suited for us, financially, right?

We already have a whole beach day at the private island and we're going to use the pool at the port in Costa Maya. Grand Cayman will be a driving around the island/sightseeing type of day. And he wants to do another beach day in Cozumel. I'm saying Nachi Cocom, he says Playa Planacar. Tell me who would win in your house. LOL

In my house my wife ALWAYS wins - "happy wife = happy life" :D

That said, your calculations make for a good argument for PP. Taxi to Nachi is about $15-16 each way for 4 of you; it will be closer to $30 each way for PP. You will not spend $200 on food and drinks at PP, but even the costs of non-alcoholic drinks (soda/water) adds up! :(

You may save a few dollars overall by going to PP, but not much. You will have a great time at either location. Good luck! :)

Two of us always eat a great big lunch with appetizers and 2 margaritas at Palancar and our bill is around $40 for the two of us, including tip. The portions they serve you are big so you might possibly be able to split something between 2 people. We love Palancar and have never had a bad time there.

Okay, so let me try to gather it all up.

Playa Palancar

Would be about $60 round trip taxi fare.

And probably about $80 lunch for four? Would this include water and soda? Or should I add in a little extra?

Is this also the beach that has you pose with the sombrero hats? If so, how much is that picture? Can you have 4 people in one picture? Since I' a scrapbooker, this would be a must. LOL

Nachi Cocom

Would be about $30 round trip taxi fare

And $200 all inclusive beach fare

Aside from the $$$ aspect of these beaches, is one "nicer" than the other? Pros/cons for either? Not really interested in renting jet skis or snorkling or anything. Basically a simple beach day.

We just got back from Nachi. It was a nice beach & the food was good. They had hammocks you could take a nap in,& a nice pool. If you don't really drink alot, I wouldn't go here. We wished we would have went to Palancar instead. We took a snorkeling tour from there & it wasn't any good. It was really a waste of money. The couple next to us rented jet skis & they kept breaking down.

We just got back from Nachi. It was a nice beach & the food was good. They had hammocks you could take a nap in,& a nice pool. If you don't really drink alot, I wouldn't go here. We wished we would have went to Palancar instead. We took a snorkeling tour from there & it wasn't any good. It was really a waste of money. The couple next to us rented jet skis & they kept breaking down.

Thanks for the heads up. I kind of figured that the all inclusive was a better value for people who were bigger drinkers. LOL I guess I'm leaning more towards Palancar.

Playa Palancar

And probably about $80 lunch for four? Would this include water and soda? Or should I add in a little extra?

Is this also the beach that has you pose with the sombrero hats? If so, how much is that picture? Can you have 4 people in one picture? Since I' a scrapbooker, this would be a must. LOL

Nachi Cocom

Aside from the $$$ aspect of these beaches, is one "nicer" than the other? Pros/cons for either? Not really interested in renting jet skis or snorkling or anything. Basically a simple beach day.

I think you are a little too high in your estimate for lunch for 4-we usually each get the fish tacos, a huge bowl of guacamole, chips and salsa and I get 2 margaritas myself and my hubby (or daughter) whoever I'm cruising with) usually gets one and we eat all that for $40 including tip. If everyone in your party drinks a couple of drinks each then it could be but that high but I'm sure water, soft drinks and tea are less. As far as the picture, yes that was taken cruise before last (April 2011) but when daughter and I returned a month later they did nottake pics and I forgot to ask about it.

Playa Palancar

Nachi Cocom

Your estimate for lunch is about right, but I'd add another $20-30+ for beers/soda/bottles of water outside of lunch - it gets mighty hot on the beach. The sombrero picture is at just about every beach club I have been to in Mexico, including Nachi; all 4 can get into one group shot and it's usually about $10-12 (try to bargain before you've had a bunch of free drinks! :o).

Your estimate for Nachi is a little high - adults pay about $50, your teens will not be allowed to drink there and should be charged only about $30-35.

PP is a beautiful quiet, uncrowded beach; Nachi is also very nice, relaxing, with lots of shade options and a small pool (with swim-up bar :D). You will not go wrong with either. Good luck! :)

Your estimate for lunch is about right, but I'd add another $20-30+ for beers/soda/bottles of water outside of lunch - it gets mighty hot on the beach. The sombrero picture is at just about every beach club I have been to in Mexico, including Nachi; all 4 can get into one group shot and it's usually about $10-12 (try to bargain before you've had a bunch of free drinks! :o).

Your estimate for Nachi is a little high - adults pay about $50, your teens will not be allowed to drink there and should be charged only about $30-35.

PP is a beautiful quiet, uncrowded beach; Nachi is also very nice, relaxing, with lots of shade options and a small pool (with swim-up bar :D). You will not go wrong with either. Good luck! :)

Oh, good to know. So that would make the total $170 plus about $30 taxi fare. $200 total for Nachi. And I'd still gather a guess at Palancar to be about $150 for the day.

So really not much of a price difference. Guess I'll have to research the beaches themselves. Is one more soft sand than the other? Does Palancar get busy? I know Nachi only lets in 100 people.

Oh, good to know. So that would make the total $170 plus about $30 taxi fare. $200 total for Nachi. And I'd still gather a guess at Palancar to be about $150 for the day.

So really not much of a price difference. Guess I'll have to research the beaches themselves. Is one more soft sand than the other? Does Palancar get busy? I know Nachi only lets in 100 people.

I've never seen more than 30-40 people at Palancar. Never been to Nachi so don't know about that one.

Some have complained about the sand at Nachi - it seemed like beach sand to me? :confused: It is not the fine, white, sugary sand you find near Pensacola and along the gulf coast, but it was not an issue. You do not need water shores at either spot - so have another maragrita and don't worry about the sand.:cool:

We went to Nachi and LOVED IT!! Hammocks, plenty of loungers, nice pool and HUGE hot tub that is connected to the swim up bar. We ate so much there, the food was delicious. We spent a good 6 hours there, so we had at least two rounds of snack and one full meal. The nice part was that when you wanted some nachos or chips or shrimp, just let the beach waiter know and he'd bring it out to your spot. It was heaven. It was nice not worrying about paying and tips and having enough cash or pesos or whatever. Just order thoses shrimp fajitas and enjoy! The beach was beautiful. The sand was white and clean and while the ocean was choppy the day we were there, we had a great time in the water, which was warm and clear. We wandered up and down the beach. Two of us in the group got massages on the beach for something like $30 each. The place was so much fun.

They limit the people to 100 I think, and there is more than enough room for that. What we liked was the pool, hot tub, food and all-inclusive factor. I think two growing boys/men would totally enjoy ordering what they want as often as they want and not have to watch the $$$$. We thought it was well worth the money. They did have us pose for the standard sombrero picture....and yes we did buy it. Can't remember how much. I think it was $10.

We were at Nachi last August and LOVED it too! My hubby and I were there with our 17, 13 and 10 year old and my B&SIL were there with their two teenagers.

We all had a great time! Good food! Good service! Good drinks. the beacj was nice, there was lots of shade if you wanted it and sun if you didn't. Swim up bar and a "hot" (actually warm which was lovely in the hot sun) was great.

Sigh...

Best day of our cruise last summer!

Is snorkeling a factor? It would be better at playa palancar. You can take a boat ride out to the Palancar Reef which is one of the top dive spots on Cozumel. I would think PP would be more subdued....just my opinion. We went to Nachi before it became an all inclusive and it was nice but not awesome. For as many people that were there, the hot tub was smallish and only warm at best. The sand was a little rocky and the water wasn't that Caribbean blue. The pool was awesome though. I think since they became an all inclusive they have probably improved it quite a bit so my opinion could be totally outdated. I would think that Nachi might have more to offer your boys perhaps. Plus, I have never been to Playa Palancar myself. We are going to try it on our next cruise (in a month). My research tells me that it is a little more remote and tropical but we'll see and then I'll do a trip report. Good luck with your decision.

Kathy

Is snorkeling a factor? It would be better at playa palancar. You can take a boat ride out to the Palancar Reef which is one of the top dive spots on Cozumel. I would think PP would be more subdued....just my opinion. We went to Nachi before it became an all inclusive and it was nice but not awesome. For as many people that were there' date=' the hot tub was smallish and only warm at best. The sand was a little rocky and the water wasn't that Caribbean blue. The pool was awesome though. I think since they became an all inclusive they have probably improved it quite a bit so my opinion could be totally outdated. I would think that Nachi might have more to offer your boys perhaps. Plus, I have never been to Playa Palancar myself. We are going to try it on our next cruise (in a month). My research tells me that it is a little more remote and tropical but we'll see and then I'll do a trip report. Good luck with your decision.

Kathy[/quote']

Palancar doesn't seem to be an especially kid friendly beach-I mean there aren't tons of things for kids to do that I"ve noticed. But for adults, it's a great place to kick back and relax-we always love coming here.

Archived