Quirks, foibles and Fun on the Freedom 10-18 March 2012

big_duck

Thank you for the excellent report on this cigar factory! I was hoping you were going to end it with a free Monte at least but alas...still quite an experience!:)

I know eh. Every time I toured the Hershey factory I got a free bar.

La Roma was also Past Guest party day. Pretty much the normal free drinks and hors douvres. One thing though, the tech was having problem with the equipment and couldn't get "the film" to show. Brent really did a good job of ad libbing his way out of that one.

Speaking of Brent, I thought he was an excellent CD. One thing he does that I have never seen anyone else do, prior to shows he stands at the foot of the stage stairs in the audience, thereby making himself available to the guests.

The next day found us arriving in Willemstad, Curacao at 2 P.M. Curacao has some wonderful beaches, but we decided due to the late hour just to do some site seeing, shopping and barhopping in Willemstad. I took my iPad with me in hopes of finding some free WiFi and was able to find a couple of spots. One was in the Rif Fort at the Chihuahua Cantina.

Spent some time waterside watching the pontoon bridge open and close. If you aren't quick you can actually get stuck on the bridge when it opens.

6853549390_46722df1ef.jpg

IMG_0968 by big_duck, on Flickr

Eventually, all things must end and we made are way back to the ship, where I regretted not having a tripod (or even monopod) with me.

6853549762_52dfa294d4.jpg

P1030739 by big_duck, on Flickr

So after our long day in port I walk into the cabin and what do I see? Another plate of chocolate covered strawberries. Then I see tucked in behind it the infamous JH fruit basket with a note "Courtesy of Senior Cruise Director, John Heald".

Now please note, I really hate it when people infest John's Facebook page and Blog begging for goodies, something I have never done so myself.

Let me tell you when it is unasked for and unexpected it is quite a pleasant surprise.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, I will say though it would have been nice to have received it earlier in the cruise - only because a lot of the fruit will have gone to waste (I hope the Stewards made use of it).

At Aruba, we took a cab ($5 PP very reasonable) to Palm Beach ($10 per chair, $25 per very big umbrella very unreasonable).

This beach is in the heart of a resort area so all the usual beach activities were available. We didn't take part in any so I can't comment on prices. The beer prices at the pier bar were good though.

Hi Don,

Like the relaxed pace of your review, it's great.

We aren't going till Thanksgiving but we will have 2 kids ages 4 and 8 w/ us. For VIP boarding, do they let you go on first or earlier? Would be so much easier for us, w/ the grandsons! Feed them quickly and then head to the pool. Promise I won't let them fall in!

Thanks~

Hi Don,

Like the relaxed pace of your review, it's great.

We aren't going till Thanksgiving but we will have 2 kids ages 4 and 8 w/ us. For VIP boarding, do they let you go on first or earlier? Would be so much easier for us, w/ the grandsons! Feed them quickly and then head to the pool. Promise I won't let them fall in!

Thanks~

Before boarding began we stood in line at security with everyone else. After we checked in at the VIP counter, we stood in line to go through the "boing" Machine with everyone else.

The Terminal building is very rudimentary.

Friday was a sea day and we pretty much just chilled on deck.

We did however go to a wine and food pairing event held in the Sun King Steakhouse in the afternoon. This was a lot of fun, and interesting.

As you can see by the photo, we were given a California champagne, 2 whites and 2 reds to taste. We were also given various nibbles to taste along side.

7006012227_b4af83827b.jpg

IMG_0999 by big_duck, on Flickr

Speaking of wine. Due to purchasing wine packages etc it has been awhile since I've actually seen the Carnival wine list. I must say I'm very disappointed at how ... umm ... pedestrian it has become. Something that never would have happened under Bob Dickenson.

I also found out early in this cruise that Luggage Express is now available for international flights, so I went and signed up for this today as well (more on this later).

So a typical last sea day.

I received my Luggage Express package I opened it up and a had a look. Boarding passes check, Number 4 luggage tags check. Luggage tags wait a sec these say Chicago. So I throw everything in the envelope and had down to the Guest Services desk. There is a line, but I don't care I'm Platinum. So I put on my best "That's right I'm important look :p" and headed to the concierge counter. So I'm standing waiting for the next available purser and start reading the outside of the envelope and there it is in black and white. "provided luggage tags state the first leg of the flight only. These will be replaced with proper luggage tags when the luggage is received at the airport".

So I put on my best "That's right I'm a dufus look :o" and head back to the cabin.

The moral, always, always RTFI!!

I received my Luggage Express package I opened it up and a had a look. Boarding passes check, Number 4 luggage tags check. Luggage tags wait a sec these say Chicago. So I throw everything in the envelope and had down to the Guest Services desk. There is a line, but I don't care I'm Platinum. So I put on my best "That's right I'm important look :p" and headed to the concierge counter. So I'm standing waiting for the next available purser and start reading the outside of the envelope and there it is in black and white. "provided luggage tags state the first leg of the flight only. These will be replaced with proper luggage tags when the luggage is received at the airport".

So I put on my best "That's right I'm a dufus look :o" and head back to the cabin.

Hilarious! Thanks for sharing!

Great review !

I will be on Freedom but going to Antiqua/Tortola

I agree...Port of Miami is much nicer (even tho I live here LOL)

a few questions?

>> did you see any shows??

>> music? did they have a good "cover band"?

>> how was the food? anything great ...or to avoid??

>> I see you did the wine tasting on the last sea day...did they also have that on the first sea day?? We might like that...but at the start of the cruise, not at the end

>> You said you did not pay corkage fee for the wine you carried on...

did you bring it to the dining room to be opened or did you open it in cabin and then carry it in?

Great review...thanks in advance

:D

I would have not realized my mistake and I would have REALLY looked like a dufus. I'm happy you managed to escape that fate. :D

Great review !

I will be on Freedom but going to Antiqua/Tortola

I agree...Port of Miami is much nicer (even tho I live here LOL)

a few questions?

>> did you see any shows??

>> music? did they have a good "cover band"?

>> how was the food? anything great ...or to avoid??

>> I see you did the wine tasting on the last sea day...did they also have that on the first sea day?? We might like that...but at the start of the cruise, not at the end

>> You said you did not pay corkage fee for the wine you carried on...

did you bring it to the dining room to be opened or did you open it in cabin and then carry it in?

Great review...thanks in advance

I don't do the shows. I did see a couple of the comedy shows though. Lido food was great in particular the Tandoor, Mongolian Wok and Fish and Chips. the MDR food was good as well, the singular exception being the Oysters from the Didja menu which were cold and gritty.

They wine and food pairing is held on the first sea day and the second sea day.

The first sea day features european wines and the second features new world wines.

Both of our bottles of wine were brought to the MDR unopened and we were not charged corkage for either. It is a misconception the corkage is charged for opening the wine, it isn't. I find that if I wait a couple of days and develop a rapport with my wait staff I don't get charged.

Archived