Summit Questions.... First Time Cruiser...

Beachgirlohio

We are sailing on the April 14th Southern Caribbean Summit Cruise. This is our very first cruise. I just have a few random questions. Will someone help us?

1. Trying to figure out where the best place to be is for our first sail away? Balcony, pool deck, etc. Just want to hear some opinions.

2. We leave San Juan at 8:30pm. I am trying to figure out what time to get on the boat. My paperwork says 2pm is the earliest but I have read a lot of people saying they get on around noon. We will be staying at La Concha prior for a couple of days so we are open.

3. Tipping- If we pre-pay gratuities and I think they add gratuities on the bar drinks, are we really just tipping for special service?

4. Our flight departs for home at 3:10pm. What time do you recommend being at the airport? I think we are going to spend the day in town wondering around and having lunch.

5. My husband does not like the option of leaving luggage out the night before and wants to carry luggage off. How do you elect this option? TA recommended just telling our room steward.

6. Umbrella- Do we need to bring one or will there be one in our room?

7. Lastly, our room is 9074 Aqua Class. Any comments on this room location? We considered moving to deck 11 but this is our first time and I am worried about getting sea sick so we wanted to stay in the middle of the ship.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

You will love the Summit. You could have picked a more costly ship for your first cruise but there aren't many better ships.

The decks will be crowded for sail away. If you are not at dinner and the weather is fine you can wander from one spot to another. You will sail from the Pan Am pier around the old city and can enjoy El Morro even in the dark. You will want to be starboard (right side.) The transit will take well over an hour so you don't have to rush.

Since you will be in San Juan for a few days you can board at your leisure. We usually arrive at the pier around 11:30, have lunch in the Lido, and by the time we have a relaxing lunch we can access our cabin when it's ready around 1:30. The public areas will be open but the stateroom corridors may be blocked until this time.

You can always give additional tips. This is usually for your cabin steward and/or wait staff and the tips are normally given at the end of the cruise. If you order room service it is customery to give a small tip ($2+ depending on the meal) for services at the time the order is delivered.

Please give yourselves plenty of time getting through the mayhem of SJU. It is not the easiest airport. In addition to check in you also must get an inspection sticker from USDA. Do this BEFORE you get in line to check your luggage. I'd recommend you alter your lunch plan to brunch and get to the airport by 12:30 at the latest.

You can self disembark. You will receive a flight questionnaire and can request it when you fill out your information. However, self disembarkation is not for the faint of heart. You will be gathering with people who have mistakenly booked early flights and are frantic to get their luggage and themselves out of the gathering space down the ramp and on the elevator through Customs and Immigration and into a cab to SJU. You could always hold back and watch the masses but you do have to be out of your cabin by 8:30 or so and then you will be amongst the remaining passengers vying for an elevator. As long as there are no valuables in your luggage there should not be a problem leaving it out the last night. In over 30 cruises we have never had a problem. You can also plan to hand over your luggage to a porter in the hallway if you can find one.

If you have a small compact lightweight umbrella bring it. You probably won't need it but brief showers are not uncommon.

The general rule of thumb for first time cruisers is to select a cabin that is low and midships. While deck 9 is not low you have a good cabin and there is no reason for concern.

I hope you take time to visit the rainforest in Puerto Rico. It is wonderful.

Have a wonderful cruise. The southern Caribbean itinerary is one of our favorites.

Have you joined the Roll Call for your sailing? You will find many answers and opinions there too.

If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to ask.

We're on the same cruise, and we've sailed from San Juan many times. Here are my thoughts:

At sail away we usually go to a high deck and find a view that looks nice to us. As our ship starts to clear past our pier, we will sail near the other ships docked in Old San Juan. We usually move to that side of the ship to get a closer look at the other ships. Toward the end of sail away we like to walk to the back of the ship to watch the San Juan fade away. Don't worry, it all happens very slowly. There is plenty of time to walk around and find empty railing space.

We used to rush to the ship at 11 or 12, but now we stay at our hotel enjoying the beach and pool until later, say 2 or 3. This is like a port day for us rather than a ship day for those getting on early. By showing up later we walk right on with no line. Very relaxing day if you do it this way. However, being your first cruise you might want to get on as soon as possible, and we understand that feeling too!

Tips are included for all drinks purchased and other tips for staff are added to your bill. You wont need to add extra tips unless you want to.

I've never taken an umbrella ever. Any rain is usually short lived and were at the beach anyway. There is always someplace to duck into if you really need to for a minute or two. Its all part of the fun!

We always carry our bags off first thing. Just go to the purser and fill out the debarkation paper and check the box. Easy Cheesy.

Going to the cruise critic party? If so we'll see you there.

We are cruising B2B the following week making it a 14 night cruise, with two days at the Marriott prior to embarkation.

Cant wait!

We just completed the 7 day southern itinerary on the Summit last week so feel free to ask any more questions about this route.

On the question of disembarkation... they are NOT formally offering the self-disembark option any more. I had an afternoon flight but an early morning independent excursion (Segway tour) so I wanted to be off the ship around 8 am. The form they are now using for the disembarkation questionnaire doesn't give you a way to request a time for departure or to select "self-disembark".

I asked guest relations about the carry-off your own luggage option and they said it is not offered, but they wouldn't stop us if we wanted to try, however they did not recommend it and even cautioned that customs might delay us by inspecting bags, etc.

In the end, we made a specific request for an early departure group and were given 8:05 am, which was group 4 (earlier groups were reserved for people who could show morning flight reservations or those who had Celebrity transfers or excursions). Departure groups ranged up towards 10:30 am for the latest times.

They did a good job trying to police the disembarkation process and move the groups through smoothly, however there were quite a few people who walked off earlier by cutting into the lines. I didn't see anyone carrying massive quantities of baggage, however.

I'd definitely plan on getting to SJU early. We were there at 1 pm for a 4:15 pm flight and lines were more than an hour to get through security and even longer for US Air check-in (thankfully we were flying a different airline).

We are a group of 10. This is our third Celebrity cruise and probably our 15th cruise overall. Still doesn't stop the excitement. We are also in AQ, 9069; all of our group is on the 9th floor AQ. Hope you are going to the Connections party. See you in 3.5 weeks! We are Mike and Joyce from Atlanta.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! The amount of time that was spent answering these questions is soooooo appreciated! We are so excited! 21 more sleeps until we leave for San Juan! One more question that I thought of. I am really excited to eat in Blu for Breakfast. Do any of you know what time breakfast starts as we have a ton of excursions already booked! I promise when I get back to post a very detailed report! :)

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! The amount of time that was spent answering these questions is soooooo appreciated! We are so excited! 21 more sleeps until we leave for San Juan! One more question that I thought of. I am really excited to eat in Blu for Breakfast. Do any of you know what time breakfast starts as we have a ton of excursions already booked! I promise when I get back to post a very detailed report! :)

Breakfast in Blu usually starts a half an hour or so before the ship docks - there is plenty of time to enjoy Blu then get off in port very early - we did it five times in February - my only regret... I didn't eat more before climbing Mt. Liamigua....!

Just returned from the Summit a couple weeks ago. Great time, she looks lovely and I enjoyed the changes, having seen her before, as well. We were in AQ on 11 aft, and enjoyed our time there. The Sunset Bar on deck 10 became our favorite place...you'll soon see why! Say hello to bartenders Mario and Devon! They both make a mad drink! Let Devon go crazy and concoct something for you....he is creative! :D

In the AQ cabin there is an umbrella, but honestly, you probably won't want to take it ashore. Kind of a pain. Do yourself a favor and pack a poncho that folds up very small. While I was on the alternate itinerary a few weeks ago and got rain on and off each day (it is the rainforest, after all), you may not but it's a nice thing to have and not have soaked clothing all day.

Blu is great and opened for breakfast 7:30 each morning. But for other options you may dine in main dining room for breakfast (7:30) if you want restaurant style breakfast; or go to the buffet (oceanview cafe, 6:30 lite selections, 7:00 waffles/eggs/etc); or aquaspa cafe (7:00 light & healthy); or Cafe al bacio (7:00 free wonderful pastries, upcharge for specialty coffees), or Bistro on 5 for crepes (6:00, $5 upcharge). You will never go hungry nor miss a breakfast due to an excursion! Cafe al Bacio is definitely great for a quick-y snack anytime of day - free, other than the coffee! :p

Another tip I learned recently is that on embarkation day, skip the hecticness that is the oceanview cafe (the buffet aft on deck 10 - you'll be there plenty of other times) and go to Bistro on 5. It is the creperie with a $5 upcharge pp, but you can eat all you want. The savory crepes are outstanding (try 2-3 between the 2 of you) and then select 2 dessert crepes to share. Amazing and well worth the 10 bucks we paid! Good service, great food, and a nice quiet area to look out the window, people watch those going by inside the ship and just settle in for about an hour.

Make time for the Persian Gardens and all it has to offer. A nice place to hang out and unwind for a short time....that's all that's needed.

Mainly, enjoy your first cruise and the wonderful locations you will visit! You'll be surprised how hard it is to get in everything that is happening on the ship, so don't worry if you can't. Pick the most interesting, pace yourselves, try new things and have a blast! :D

We are considering Summit in AQ and was wondering about noise from above. The cabins on deck 9 seem to be below the pool area, so we were thinking about the aft cabins on Deck 11. Was there noise from above? Did you find people looking down on your balcony? Anyone have a deck 9 AQ cabin have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

Lisa

1. Trying to figure out where the best place to be is for our first sail away? Balcony, pool deck, etc. Just want to hear some opinions. I bet you would have fun sitting on your balcony after a nice dinner in BLU at dusk with a glass of wine, some binoculars (in your room) as you watch San Juan. What time is sunset in San Juan on the say of your departure?

2. We leave San Juan at 8:30pm. I am trying to figure out what time to get on the boat. My paperwork says 2pm is the earliest but I have read a lot of people saying they get on around noon. We will be staying at La Concha prior for a couple of days so we are open. Dont be in a rush. We have always boarded around noon, but other times have taken our time and explored the area before getting on the ship.

3. Tipping- If we pre-pay gratuities and I think they add gratuities on the bar drinks, are we really just tipping for special service? your pre pay gratuities cover your stateroom service and restaraunt service only. They do add a tip for any drinks you order and that goes to your server. You can always tip more if you want. In fact I would suggest tipping your room steward and waiter additionally, and at the beginning of your cruise, not at the end. I think you will find it well worth it. If you go to the Celebrity site and search in FAQ for garatuities there will be a full break down of your daily tips, and who gets what.

4. Our flight departs for home at 3:10pm. What time do you recommend being at the airport? I think we are going to spend the day in town wondering around and having lunch.

5. My husband does not like the option of leaving luggage out the night before and wants to carry luggage off. How do you elect this option? TA recommended just telling our room steward. Last month on Eclipse we were given a disembark card giving us the option to be in the first group to leave the ship and carry our own luggage. Just fill out the card, but be sure to read all the rules, exactly what time to be where etc.

6. Umbrella- Do we need to bring one or will there be one in our room? Unbrella is in your room. I might buy a couple of .99 cent thin plastic ponchos for a pop up shower. Light, easy to pack in a bag.

7. Lastly, our room is 9074 Aqua Class. Any comments on this room location? We considered moving to deck 11 but this is our first time and I am worried about getting sea sick so we wanted to stay in the middle of the ship. should be a nice room. Enjoy the Persian Garden and Blu.

We are looking at Summit for Jan 2013. With the late sail away how do dinners work that evening? We will be in AQ so would we just go to Blu prior to sail away if that is what we choose?

Dining on the first night is the same times as every other night. If you're in AQ, you basically have any time dining. The lifeboat drill will be around 5 pm even though the departure isn't until 8:30 pm or so.

If the lifeboat drill was at 5pm we would miss it! I have Choice Air and my flight isn't arriving until after 4pm. We wanted to do day prior but have to travel from an airport far from home so our day prior is an airport overnight instead of San Juan :( Anyway, we won't even get to the pier until after 5 and by the time we check-in and get on board it will be 6:00 pm. Choice Air said you have to be on the ship by 7 & they told me I wasn't the last one arriving, they have people on flights up until 6 pm. It seems unlikely they do the drill until all passengers are on board; I would think it's after dinner as it also seems unlikely they'd have it during meals. I think on my other cruises it took place within an hour after sailaway. So I'm guessing it will be approx. 9:30 pm.

If the lifeboat drill was at 5pm we would miss it! I have Choice Air and my flight isn't arriving until after 4pm. We wanted to do day prior but have to travel from an airport far from home so our day prior is an airport overnight instead of San Juan :( Anyway, we won't even get to the pier until after 5 and by the time we check-in and get on board it will be 6:00 pm. Choice Air said you have to be on the ship by 7 & they told me I wasn't the last one arriving, they have people on flights up until 6 pm. It seems unlikely they do the drill until all passengers are on board; I would think it's after dinner as it also seems unlikely they'd have it during meals. I think on my other cruises it took place within an hour after sailaway. So I'm guessing it will be approx. 9:30 pm.

On our prior Celebrity cruise out of San Juan when the ship sailed at 8:30, the muster drill was indeed at 5:30. I would believe that if you are boarding after that time and miss the drill, Celebrity will brief you separately.

On our prior Celebrity cruise out of San Juan when the ship sailed at 8:30, the muster drill was indeed at 5:30. I would believe that if you are boarding after that time and miss the drill, Celebrity will brief you separately.

That is correct. A few weeks ago on the Summit, they were taking attendance at the 5 pm drill. Anyone who wasn't there due to late arrival received a notice on their cabin door the next morning requesting their attendance at a drill later that day.

We are sailing on the April 14th Southern Caribbean Summit Cruise. This is our very first cruise. I just have a few random questions. Will someone help us?

1. Trying to figure out where the best place to be is for our first sail away? Balcony, pool deck, etc. Just want to hear some opinions.

2. We leave San Juan at 8:30pm. I am trying to figure out what time to get on the boat. My paperwork says 2pm is the earliest but I have read a lot of people saying they get on around noon. We will be staying at La Concha prior for a couple of days so we are open.

3. Tipping- If we pre-pay gratuities and I think they add gratuities on the bar drinks, are we really just tipping for special service?

5. My husband does not like the option of leaving luggage out the night before and wants to carry luggage off. How do you elect this option? TA recommended just telling our room steward.

6. Umbrella- Do we need to bring one or will there be one in our room?

7. Lastly, our room is 9074 Aqua Class. Any comments on this room location? We considered moving to deck 11 but this is our first time and I am worried about getting sea sick so we wanted to stay in the middle of the ship.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

If you carry your luggage off the ship and intend to spend the day wandering around town and having lunch you'll have to drag your luggage around with you. I wouldn't want to do that ... Especially in hot San Juan.

Enjoy your cruise.

Tips are not included in the drink price. 15% is automatically added to the price of the drink that is on the menu. $5 beer will end up being $5.75. Sometimes in certain ports sales tax will also be added.

Room service for breakfast in AQ is another option. Many times we will order some coffee, smoothies, OJ and rolls and also have breakfast in Blu. You select the time and they will also give a courtesy call to warn that they are on the way. A dollar or so tip is the norm for room service.

Be sure to have many small bills for the various tips, taxi fares, and other things that you may do on the islands.

The porter at the ship terminal also has his hand out for putting your luggage in the rack????

Take your own binoculars as those in the cabin are hit and miss. Umbrella may also be used for sun protection beside rain.

Dear me! 4PM is cutting it extremely close. Good thing it's with Choice Air and they might possibly hold the ship for you if the flight is delayed!

Believe me I am not happy with my arrival time but we only booked this cruise last minute last week. The earlier flight not only had a connection but cost $650 per person more! To make it worse, I live in CT and the flights out of Hartford were sold out or costing $1100 per person so my only option was to fly out of Newark (Huge difference in fare , paying only $330pp for nonstop flight) and instead of pre-cruise in San Juan we have to do pre-cruise at Newark airport. Choice Air talked me into this flight and kept reassuring me that I wasn't the "last one", they had flights arriving up until 6:00 pm. You have until 7:00 pm to be on board. Depending on how long it takes to claim my luggage, I have Celebrity transfers & have to wait for their shuttle, I hopefully will be at pier by 5:30.

That is correct. A few weeks ago on the Summit, they were taking attendance at the 5 pm drill. Anyone who wasn't there due to late arrival received a notice on their cabin door the next morning requesting their attendance at a drill later that day.

Bummer! After a full day of travelling we'll be arriving very tired & very hungry & wanted only to dump our carryons in our cabin & head to dining room for early dinner. We'll most likely be arriving while the drill is already in progress. What a pain to have to attend one on our only full day at sea.:( Hope they schedule it early enough to not interfere with any of the activities we want to do. I forgot how long the drill lasts?

The drill was about 30 minutes or so in total. I don't remember when they had the make-up drill scheduled on the next day, which for our itinerary was a port day.

If you miss your assigned dining time due to late boarding, you might try asking if they will let you do select dining that night.

The drill was about 30 minutes or so in total. I don't remember when they had the make-up drill scheduled on the next day, which for our itinerary was a port day.

If you miss your assigned dining time due to late boarding, you might try asking if they will let you do select dining that night.

Thanks for all your info trabeler. We actually have Select Dining and prefer eating early - especially that first night which is a long travel day and we'll have missed lunch (will have airport crap before flight but will be boarding shortly after 11:00 am) so will be starving by the time we arrive on ship. I vaguely remember from past cruises the drill being a long dragged out thing so 1/2 hour is good news. With the very much smaller late group it will hopefully go even faster. If they follow the same schedule for the make-up drill I bet it will happen during the Cruise Critic roll call party.Oh well, it is what it is & once again I appreciate all your detailled info.

If you carry your luggage off the ship and intend to spend the day wandering around town and having lunch you'll have to drag your luggage around with you. I wouldn't want to do that ... Especially in hot San Juan.

Enjoy your cruise.

You can drop your luggaage at Barrachina's restaurant in Old San Juan. They request a "tip" of $5 and they sort of expect that you'll eat there. That's what we did in February, and then we walked around town until time to go to the airport, then came back and got our luggage and took a taxi to the airport.

After we got home, we decided that next time we'll just get a taxi at the pier when we get off the ship and negotiate with him to drive us around San Juan and keep our luggage for us. By the time we took a taxi to Barrachina's, ate lunch, and took a taxi to the airport we had spent around $45 and we were hot, tired, and sweaty. Have a great cruise, whatever you do!

Archived