What should I cover?

KauaiKris

We're hoping to take a cruise early next year. We have a bunch of college students in our family who want to go, but are all unsure what their class schedules will be and if they will feel like they can skip a week of school. So we'll want one with "Cancel for any reason". We're looking at TravelSafe. But what all should I insure? I'm not sure how I should arrive at my totals.

• The cost of the cruise fare.
  • We live on the west coast will will be flying to Florida. We'll need to cover the cost of the flights.
  • We need to stay at a hotel the night before -- that might could be canceled, depending on how we book it. Obviously if we get it through priceline, that money is spent.
  • What about excursions? If we cancel early, we can get refunded, but if the cancellation is shortly before sailing, we could be charged for that. What about excursions we arrange with private vendors? Would those be a covered item, or only excursions pay for through the cruiseline. Or would excursions in general not be covered at all?
  • Is there something I'm overlooking that I should add in - or should I not include something I have listed?

Thanks so much for your helpful advice!

Just be aware that most "cancel for any reason" policies will not reimburse you 100%. Most of them will only cover 75% (amount depends on the policy).

I have a couple college students in my household, and none of them could skip a week of school. They usually get such a long winter break. Could you find a cruise during their time off? Schedules should already be available for next year.

We're hoping to take a cruise early next year. We have a bunch of college students in our family who want to go, but are all unsure what their class schedules will be and if they will feel like they can skip a week of school. So we'll want one with "Cancel for any reason". We're looking at TravelSafe. But what all should I insure? I'm not sure how I should arrive at my totals.

• The cost of the cruise fare.
  • We live on the west coast will will be flying to Florida. We'll need to cover the cost of the flights.
  • We need to stay at a hotel the night before -- that might could be canceled, depending on how we book it. Obviously if we get it through priceline, that money is spent.
  • What about excursions? If we cancel early, we can get refunded, but if the cancellation is shortly before sailing, we could be charged for that. What about excursions we arrange with private vendors? Would those be a covered item, or only excursions pay for through the cruiseline. Or would excursions in general not be covered at all?
  • Is there something I'm overlooking that I should add in - or should I not include something I have listed?

Thanks so much for your helpful advice!

With almost all insurers you're going to have to insure all of the above. The only gray area is hotels -- some are more strict than others. Once you have chosen an insurer contact them and find out what to do. But it basically comes down to: If you're a "no-show" will you be charged for the room? Being able to cancel 48 hours prior to arrival with no penalty doesn't matter.

All of your pre-paid, non-refundable arrangements will have to be insured. This includes shore excursions if they meet those two conditions.

Even though you're traveling with young, and probably healthy, companions, make sure you have medical evacuation insurance. Accidents can happen to anyone. If you have to get off the ship for medical reasons, it can cost tens of thousands of dollars.

I also like to insure against our luggage not arriving with us.

I appreciate the feedback; all are good things to consider.

I wish I could take a cruise during the holiday, and I'm looking into the possibility. We are trying to arrange the cruise with several families, and the holidays are not only expensive times to cruise, but extremely high airfare, so it may not be affordable enough.

If you buy non-refundable airfare (which most of us do), would the total amount be covered, or only the change fees the airline will charge? Sometimes you get a credit toward future travel; would that prevent you from being reimbursed (or a % of) the entire fare?

Thanks!

If you buy non-refundable airfare (which most of us do), would the total amount be covered, or only the change fees the airline will charge? Sometimes you get a credit toward future travel; would that prevent you from being reimbursed (or a % of) the entire fare?

Thanks!

If the full cost of the air ticket is included in the insured trip cost (as it must be if you're buying the Cancel For Any Reason option coverage) you would be paid for the full ticket cost if you cancel for a covered reason. If you bought the Cancel For Any Reason option and cancel for a reason not covered under the regular plan wording you would be reimbursed for a percentage of the ticket cost (50%, 75%, 90%, etc) depending on the plan wording.

If the full cost of the air ticket is included in the insured trip cost (as it must be if you're buying the Cancel For Any Reason option coverage) you would be paid for the full ticket cost if you cancel for a covered reason. If you bought the Cancel For Any Reason option and cancel for a reason not covered under the regular plan wording you would be reimbursed for a percentage of the ticket cost (50%, 75%, 90%, etc) depending on the plan wording.

So the potential credit with the airline for a future ticket would not be a factor then. Right?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

So the potential credit with the airline for a future ticket would not be a factor then. Right?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

In the old days you had to send the insurer the actual paper ticket in order to get your money and that may still apply today if you have a physical ticket. Nowadays, I think each insurer has it's own way of dealing with any possible value attached to an e-ticket the insured has been fully compensated for. I know some just don't seem to care what you do with it, others ask for the ticket information but I have no idea what they do with that info. You'll have to contact the insurer to find out.

Archived