Another Smoking Question...not a debate

TabFox

I'm going on the Glory in May....balcony room. I'll be with my Mom and two other ladies who are all non-smokers. I'm the only one in the group, so it will not be 4 people puffing on the balcony. I don't chain smoke, but I do enjoy reading, relaxing, enjoying a beverage and smoke when in my room. I also want to be respectful to my neighbors. Would it be presumptuous of me to let my balcony neighbors know that I am a smoker and if I am out there and my smoke is too much for them, to please let me know? I don't mind refraining at times, as long as the neighbors will accommodate me at times. Am I just opening a can of worms, or should I just keep quiet and IF the neighbors mention it, then discuss it? It's a touchy subject, so please don't turn this into an "all smokers are disgusting" debate. Thanks!

I'm going on the Glory in May....balcony room. I'll be with my Mom and two other ladies who are all non-smokers. I'm the only one in the group, so it will not be 4 people puffing on the balcony. I don't chain smoke, but I do enjoy reading, relaxing, enjoying a beverage and smoke when in my room. I also want to be respectful to my neighbors. Would it be presumptuous of me to let my balcony neighbors know that I am a smoker and if I am out there and my smoke is too much for them, to please let me know? I don't mind refraining at times, as long as the neighbors will accommodate me at times. Am I just opening a can of worms, or should I just keep quiet and IF the neighbors mention it, then discuss it? It's a touchy subject, so please don't turn this into an "all smokers are disgusting" debate. Thanks!

I would keep it quiet and if they complain the try to accommodate them. I am a smoker also and try to keep my smoking to a minimum while on the balcony.

I see no need to let you neighbors know, or consult with them, or worry about it one bit, when you want to have a smoke in a "legal" smoking area, such as your balcony. It sounds like you are very considerate & will not be out there chain smoking anyway. And besides it is the outdoors... smoke goes away with the wind in no time!

There was an almost identical thread a few weeks ago and it did turn into a heated 200+ post debate, so get ready for that possibility! :o

From a non-smoker, I think I would enjoy it if my smoking neighbor said hello. Even if the smoke still bothered me, the fact that my neighbor addressed the fact would make me much more accepting. My neighbors would go from being "those friggin' smokers out there" to "those nice ladies next door".

I wouldn't tell you to go out of your way, knock on your neighbor's door on embarkation day and say "Hey I'm going to be smoking out there for the next 7 days", but there may be more than one time when you'll be standing against the railing of your balcony, and your neighbor will also be standing against the railing of his balcony just 2-3 feet away. If you do see them, take a moment, say hi, introduce yourself and as part of the conversation ask if the cigarrette smell bothers them.

It is your right to smoke out there, but that doesn't mean that you can't be pleasant, polite and accomodating (some things that a lot of cruisers forget to be these days...)

I never comment on these threads on smoking, but I like your tone, so here are my thoughts. I am a sensitive-lunged non-smoker with several family members who smoke, so I'm in no way a basher.

If I had a balcony (I wish...), and my neighbor was nice and polite about it as you are proposing, and said they were open to hearing from me, I would be so impressed by their consideration of me, even if I felt bothered, I would probably not say anything. I would head inside while you smoked, and knowing you're not a chain smoker, would wait until you were done, then head back out.

Knowing that the smoke would be occasional/temporary, and that you were cognizant of the idea that it can be potentially unpleasant for others would make me much more patient and understanding. And as someone above said, I'd consider you the nice ladies next door, and not the obnoxious smokers. :)

I'm a non smoker.... actually a former smoker who quit for good 26 years ago...... If you have issues from your neighbors, they should just learn to live with it. You are obviously a considerate smoker and your neighbors can't ask for anything more since smoking is allowed on the balcony. I surely wouldn't say anything upfront to them. You're opening the door for problems unnecessarily. When I book a cruise, I do it knowing that if I have a balcony, I may have to deal with smoke. On our Legend cruise this past January with my wifes kids, we intentionally booked the front most balcony to minimize the risk and it worked out perfectly.

balconies are designated smoking areas. you don't need to explain yourself to anyone.

balconies are designated smoking areas. you don't need to explain yourself to anyone.

Agree. I'm a non smoker, and know that's the risk I take when I book a balcony. Doesn't bother me at all and you're not breaking any laws. Really considerate of you though. :)

It's up to you, but as a non smoker who is really allergic to cigarette smoke (so what do I do? I marry a smoker =) I would find it really considerate if you asked me about your smoke on the balcony. Chances are if you asked me, it wouldn't bother me when you were out there smoking and I would just go back in my room until you were done. One of the reasons we loved our balcony room was my husband could go outside and smoke and I wouldn't have to be near it (not that I ever HAVE to be near him when he is smoking, but you know). Totally up to you. You may also find that your neighbors are rarely on their balconies (that was our case; never saw our neighbors). Enjoy the cruise!

In the OP, it was mentioned smoking in the room (might have been a typo), no smoking in the room since 2011.

Yeah, I just re-read what I wrote...I did mean on the balcony, not actually in the room. Even when we "could" smoke in the rooms, I wouldn't because of the lack of ventilation and smell (especially in interior rooms).

I appreciate everyone's feedback. It'll definitely give me some ways of handling this should the need arise. I would just hate to know I've caused an issue with my neighbors. I like everyone to be happy!

I am a smoker and always have a Balcony. If I am out there, and see the neighbors are out, I always tell them if my smoke bothers them, just to rap on the divider and I will put my cigarette out.

Only one person said he had athsma, but he never tapped. He must have not smelled it.

Yeah, I just re-read what I wrote...I did mean on the balcony, not actually in the room. Even when we "could" smoke in the rooms, I wouldn't because of the lack of ventilation and smell (especially in interior rooms).

I appreciate everyone's feedback. It'll definitely give me some ways of handling this should the need arise. I would just hate to know I've caused an issue with my neighbors. I like everyone to be happy!

"I like everyone to be happy"! Nice thought, ... but that ain't gonna' happen.;)

I see no need to let you neighbors know, or consult with them, or worry about it one bit, when you want to have a smoke in a "legal" smoking area, such as your balcony. It sounds like you are very considerate & will not be out there chain smoking anyway. And besides it is the outdoors... smoke goes away with the wind in no time!

I agree 100%. DH has never announced he is a smoker and we have never had a complaint from our neighbors about smoking.

Say hello to your neighbors when you see them but you don't have to tell them you smoke - the balcony is a designated smoking area. Its easier to be accepting of certain things when you know the person(s) doing it.

Since you sound like a considerate smoker who won't be chain smoking, I see no reason for anyone to get into a tizzy. For those that do, you won't be able to come to any understanding no matter what you do anyway....

I wouldn`t say anything...just smoke when you want...after all it is one of the places you can.

However if my neighbor was nice...approached me respectfully and had an issue...I would compromise.

Now if they were rabid anti smokers...I would just ignore them

I'm a non smoker.... actually a former smoker who quit for good 26 years ago...... If you have issues from your neighbors, they should just learn to live with it. You are obviously a considerate smoker and your neighbors can't ask for anything more since smoking is allowed on the balcony. I surely wouldn't say anything upfront to them. You're opening the door for problems unnecessarily. When I book a cruise, I do it knowing that if I have a balcony, I may have to deal with smoke. On our Legend cruise this past January with my wifes kids, we intentionally booked the front most balcony to minimize the risk and it worked out perfectly.

My husband and I both smoke and we intentionally picked an aft balcony for that reason that the smoke goes behind us :)

I wouldn`t say anything...just smoke when you want...after all it is one of the places you can.

However if my neighbor was nice...approached me respectfully and had an issue...I would compromise.

Now if they were rabid anti smokers...I would just ignore them

Ditto on that

Archived