Excursion musts and busts

edandpub

Hey, guys, going to Alaska on Serenade on July 17 for our third cruise/first Alaska. One of the most helpful threads on previous cruises has been where people tell their best and worst excursion experiences. What was actually worth the money and time, what wouldn't have been worth a dime? I'm rhyming today. Anyway, it would be good to hear from some of you experienced Alaska crusiers on what you've liked and not. Right now only leaning toward the whale watching and the railroad trip, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

Loved: Canoe on Mendenhall Lake, any glacier helicopter, floatplane to Misty Fjords, train in Skagway. I liked whale watching, but I got to see the bubble-net feeding. I'm not sure I'd like it as much without seeing that, but it's not prohibitively expensive, and the bus driver was just hilarious. I've never had such fun bus drivers as the ones in Alaska, but the guy to our catamaran had us in tears laughing.

Bus Driver: And there's the new Juneau jail. Much nicer cells than the old one!

Passengers: How would you know that?

Bus Driver: Hey look, it's a Bald Eagle!

The inexpensive ticket to the Raptor Rehabilitation Center on Sitka was worth it, but I love birds, so that may just be me.

Disliked nothing, but I hear the Mendenhall float trip and the jeep excursions aren't that great.

This year, besides another helicopter, I'm going very boaty. I'll let you know after 5/18 how that goes. :)

I have been on perhaps over 100 Alaska tours, very few I wouldn't repeat. I am a big fan of flights- and always take as many as I can fit in. :) I probably won't be flying on my May trip as I have an brand new Alaska visitor with me and she is afraid of small planes. :) But I've got 3 flights already lined up on my 3 week trip in Aug/Sept.

Thanks, guys. It appears from all I've been seeing that Alaska excursions are much better than those in the Caribbean, in terms of being worth it. There are some bad ones there that you need to avoid. I can't wait as my wife and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.... See ya on the water!

I really have to say that the canoe to Mendenhall both years, '02 and '03 were almost empty. People might think that they have to row. Sure, you should, but my 65-year-old mother with heart problems didn't, and no one made her. I'd recommend gloves if you do want to row, since I got a little blister. But the lead guide has the BIG paddles. They just don't want you to stop, people can not row, or rest in shifts, but if you stop it's hard to get going again. Overall, it's not strenuous at all. And the proximity to Mendenhall Glacier just can't be beat. You row right past all the icebergs, and they let you pick up the little ones, and right to the face of the glacier, as close as safely possible.

Archived