American money in Vancouver?

VolFan3

I think that having some Cdn cash would be worthwhile for incidentals (small purchases, tips, etc). The merchants & cab drivers will be glad to take U.S. cash, but I'm not sure what kind of exchange rate they'll give (we live close to the U.S. border here in Ontario, and often see signs posted in stores & restaurants advising what the exchange rate is....not always favorable.) A better alternative might be to get some Cdn cash from your bank before you leave the U.S., or use your debit card and withdraw cash at an ATM once you arrive in Vancouver.

Last time I was there, there was an ATM in the Vancouver airport. Don't recall the exchange rate, but you will likely be charge $1.50 or $2.00 just because it's not your bank. I find this rate ameliorates if I take out $100 rather than $40. If you end up with extra cash at the end, I would think you could use it for tips on board.

of exchange is about 20% but you will probably only get between 10 and 15% for shops etc.

Just a note to the Americans on this thread - Almost all Canadian businesses will accept US funds at different rates of exchange but when Canadians go to American cities they usually get laughed at if they try to purchase and pay for anything with Canadian money - a little better near the border cities.

Cheers

Dennis

Budget Queen - I did not realize taxis would take credit cards. Do you know if this is this true for all of them? I've had thought I'd need to bring Canadian dollars or travelers checks.

Yes most if not all Vancouver cabs take credit cards. Verify this before you get in and skip the cab if they don't.

Archived