National Express station @ LHR

I have the same question. Would love a map. Also is this where I would purchase not only a bus ticket but the train ticket to Salisbury? I believe the train leaves from Woking station. I noticed that there is an rail air bus and a national bus. I am assuming we would take the national bus. Does anyone know the bus number?

Hi,

It is an actual Bus Station, with waiting area, seats, staffed ticket desk, Costa coffee shop, WH Smith newsagents and toilets. Directions to get there are clearly signposted whether you arrive from the Heathrow T1-3 Tube Station or from a connecting flight from T1 or T3.

Is the National Express pickup between Terminals 1 and 3 an actual building with a waiting area and facilities or just a designated pickup spot?

Thanks for any help.

It's not actually between 1 & 3 (that's the currently-redundant T2) but it's close by & was built to serve all three.

It's well-signed from the terminals.

It's a pukka bus station, with a shop, cafe, toilets, etc.

http://www.milesfaster.co.uk/information/heathrow-airport/heathrow-central-bus-coach-station.htm

nb T4 & T5 - these are newer terminals on other sides of the airport, remote from the 1/2/3/bus-station complex. Buses just call at stops on the vehicle concourse at each

JB :)

I have the same question. Would love a map. Also is this where I would purchase not only a bus ticket but the train ticket to Salisbury? I believe the train leaves from Woking station. I noticed that there is an rail air bus and a national bus. I am assuming we would take the national bus. Does anyone know the bus number?

If you're going to use National Express, then I'd pre-book online, has the airport runs are normally very busy. Link below.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/airport/index.aspx

A train ticket Heathrow-Salisbury, certainly a pre-purchased one, covers both the shuttlebus to Woking & the train from there. Pre-purchase is probably cheaper too, though be careful about any limitation on having to take a specific train in case you are delayed.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

I'm not 100% about buying a combined shuttle/train ticket at Heathrow bus station, hopefully others can advise - its possible you may have to buy the train portion when you get to Woking station but that's no big deal.

Unlike their national routes, you don't have to worry about pre-booking a specific shuttle-bus to the station.

For Woking station it's a Nat Express bus, for Reading station (no good for you) it's RailAir.

I don't know the bus number, but its destination board will say "Woking".

There are also direct Nat Express buses Heathrow to Salisbury, this would be cheaper & simpler, though frequency is poor, there are luggage limitations, & you're strongly advised to pre-book.

Don't know journey times, but whereas trains are usually quicker, I'll wager there's very little difference for your journey because of that shuttlebus.

Here's a map of sorts.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/airport-maps

Ignore the T3 "bus station" on that map, it's just for chartered coaches.

A better map may be difficult to find, because there's so much information & different levels/subways/bridges, vehicle ramps, etc that a proper map would be difficult to interpret. Even this simple one is schematic.

Thanks, everyone for all the help and the links. I have had my tickets since last September (just before they shut off the senior subsidy). I was afraid we could be just standing around on a curb waiting for a bus for a long time.

Looks like life is good. :D

Hope some experienced or locals still following:

Have booked a B&B 1-1 1/2 blocks from Victoria Coach (Ebury Street) to hopefully facilitate our primary transfers into and out of London before/after our Southampton cruise. Have found bountiful to/return from Victoria to Southampton and through the day Victoria to Gatwick south terminal. My issue (if I truly have one) is with Heathrow (T4) to Victoria. We are scheduled to arrive 0715 and as I read it the last bus departs 0915 (for the morning and afternoon). How can this be? I understand that NE is flexible in placing on next available coach if flight or security delays, but to wait until the evening would be intolerable. Am I reading this schedule correctly? Certainly want to feel a little more certain before purchasing this ticket. The To/From Southampton appears to be hourly as is Victoria to Gatwick south terminal, so this is my only immediate question. (Unfortunately NE does not provide simple link to post such a question.)

Much thanks,

DJ:)

Hi

Heathrow T4 - Victoria

National Express has several coach stops at T4 and T5 but also a big coach station located close to T1+2+3

National express have a few coaches a day from T4 but have coaches almost every 10 minutes from the central coach station, you can transfer from T4 to coach station using the inter terminal train

Or catch tube from T4 into central london Change at Hammersmith (Cross Platform Transfer) into Victorial

Hope this helps

My issue (if I truly have one) is with Heathrow (T4) to Victoria. We are scheduled to arrive 0715 and as I read it the last bus departs 0915 (for the morning and afternoon). How can this be? I understand that NE is flexible in placing on next available coach if flight or security delays, but to wait until the evening would be intolerable. Am I reading this schedule correctly? (Unfortunately NE does not provide simple link to post such a question.)

Much thanks,

DJ

http://coach.nationalexpress.com/

An object-lesson in how not to construct a website :rolleyes:

Yes, the website tells you only about the three daily buses from T4 to Victoria. With a change of bus at T5 (which is also quite poorly served)

And check out that journey times for the 16 miles. Over 3 hours :confused:

Try again, but enter your start point as Heathrow Airport London (for T1 & T3)

Though it fails to explain, this actually means Heathrow Airport central bus station, which is within the T1, T2 (currently closed) & T3 complex.

You will find three/four buses per hour from there direct to London (Victoria coach station) throughout the day. Journey time about one hour. Normal ticket price £6

The NE website doesn't tell you this because they don't operate a route between T4 and central bus station. But there's a free & frequent airport shuttle by bus or by train between T4 (which is quite remote) & that central complex. I'm not sure whether the shuttle goes to central bus station, but T1 or T3 would be fine - its then a well-signed walk of 5 to 10 mins to central bus station.

Now a decently-constructed website would tell you this, but I've come across countless other examples of their website failing to come up with obvious solutions. Must be costing them a fortune in lost business.:(

------------------------------------------------------

You're likely to be clear of airport formalities in about 60 minutes. Even if your flight is delayed & you get to the T4 bus stop at 9.15, just right for the 9.15 bus it'd still be over an hour quicker to take a free shuttle to central bus station & a NE bus from there to Victoria.

Their website:

Depart T4 at 9.15 to T5, arrive 9.25.

Depart T5 at 11.05 (after 1hr 40 mins twiddling your thumbs at T5), arrive Victoria 12.20

My suggestion:

Depart T4 at 8.15 on free shuttle to T1/T3/central bus station, arrive 8.30

Depart central bus station 9.15, arrive Victoria 10.20.

That's two hours quicker.:)

And £2 cheaper ;)

If your flight is delayed (though I've built in over 30 mins margin in this example), NE staff at central bus station can re-vamp your ticket for the next available bus. I believe this re-vamp is free-of-cost at airports.

The NE website is poor. But their bus service is good.

Sorry, not well-explained - you might have to read this a time or two, & enter examples into their website, before you get the drift.

Just to hear that buses run continuously throughout the day to Victoria was very helpful -- even hearing back from two locals that I wasn't loosing my mind about a 9:15 schedule.

We are both 65 years old and plan to limit each to one 50-pound rolling suitcase. Hope that a shuttle bus can handle suitcases one way or the other?

Maybe I should just purchase this ticket at the bus terminal? Apparently roundtrip Victoria/Southampton should be purchased as early as possible, as prices seem to inch up as the date gets closer? Perhaps the Victoria/Gatwick ticket also remains a set price whenever purchased? I am trying to become even more organized but limit myself to purchases that are necessary ahead of time!

I realize this is off-topic, but while I have your valuable attention, let me pose one more question: We will have the opportunity for 1-3 day trips while in London and I've taken to avoid those Evan Evans days with visits to 3-4 places, or more clearly, at each place you see it. We were thinking of a day at Hampton Court, Canterbury, or Oxford or Cambridge. Any one-day suggested simple itineraries from either Victoria (coach or rail) stations? Am trying to expand my horizons on this our 3rd visit to London. For certain we will do the British Museum, perhaps on our arrival, should we get some sleep, even walking that first day to the National Gallery (we have become museum-visitors as we have aged).

Much reassured regarding initial airport logistics,

DJ:)

Hi DJ,

Shuttles from T4 to the T1-T3/central bus station complex, either train or bus, are geared to luggage - no problem.

Nat Express luggage policy is a limit per passenger of 2 x 44lb bags plus hand luggage but its not strictly controlled, so 1 x 50lb isn't a problem.

Other than perhaps a small on-line discount, Nat Express fares from Heathrow aren't variable, the price 2 days out is the same as the price 2 months out. But some buses do book out, which is why you should book in good time.

For day-trips from London by public transport, the train is the simplest & quickest. Do ask for a "cheap day-return" - not available on all routes, but when available the round trip is about the same price as a one-way ticket.

The cheap-day return price will be offered on this website if available http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Enter your start point as "London, all stations", the website will name the terminus for each trip.

These places are an easy day-trip from central London by train, they're quite compact, train stations are convenient, & all the sights are walkable:

Salisbury & Stonehenge (ho-ho bus from Salisbury to Stonehenge)

Bath (train to Bath Spa)

Shakespeare's Stratford-upon-Avon

Oxford (not a place I rate as worthy of a visit, but many folk would disagree)

Canterbury

Admiral Lord Nelson's Portsmouth (train to Portsmouth harbour) (all major sights grouped in two locations, Portsmouth harbour & Southsea seafront, short bus or taxi ride between the two)

Windsor (either train station) and Hampton Court are closer to London, either would be a relatively short day, or combine the two into a single day.

Google these places, see what you think - for any that appeal, we can expand on the travel & the sights

I agree with JB about Oxford - There are lot's of beautiful buildings but you won't get to see them. The same would apply to Cambridge.

Hampton court is well worth a visit - rain or shine - The easiest way to get there is by train from Waterloo (about 35mins and a 15 min walk.)

I would highly recommend Portsmouth Historic Dockyard for a full day out.

Stonehenge and Salisbury by coach is also a very pleasant way to spend a day.

• 2 weeks later...
I see there is a bus from Southampton to London with sightseeing stops (Post cruise). Is there any service available from the airport to Southampton with stops? (Precruise)

The same company ("International Friends" or similar, via London Travellers Toolkit) offers a bus from central London hotels or Heathrow to the quayside at Southampton.

Pick up from the hotel to London Victoria coach station. This might be in a van or a full-size bus, & cruisers will be sharing this part of the journey with others from the hotel & nearby hotels who are heading off on various excursions. At Victoria coach station cruisers change to a bus dedicated to passengers who are all boarding the same ship. This bus will be picking up at Heathrow on the way through.

But because of the time-frame (arrival in Southampton needs to be around 2pm) it only visits Stonehenge, with a stop there of about 60 minutes.

A pick-up from Heathrow has to be problematic - what if your flight is late? Or you don't find the right boarding point? Now you've got to make your own way from Heathrow to Southampton & since National Express coaches are comparatively infrequent and often fully-booked, that'd have to be by shuttlebus and train. Not cheap - and that's on top of your wasted tour tickets. All for one 60-minute stop.

Southampton to London is likely to be very popular, since it combines three stops with a stress-free transfer.

In the opposite direction, the time-frame means just the one stop, which makes it less attractive but for cruisers from central London it neatly fills the gap between a very cheap transfer by public transport and a more expensive (for a twosome) sight-seeing transfer.

But from Heathrow, a direct private transfer is cheaper even for a twosome. And a private transfer with a detour to Stonehenge wouldn't cost much more.

I don't think this service a good idea from Heathrow.

An established & reputable supplier, but it's a new service so I've seen no feedback yet.

Check their cancellation rights, the bus will not run without minimum numbers and its too early to tell whether this will be a frequent problem.

Cruise luggage has been taken into consideration.

:rolleyes: Too late to edit....................

Just checked the website - the Heathrow pick-ups are from selected Heathrow hotels, not from the terminals.

Perhaps an acknowledgement by the operators that the service doesn't suit those flying in same-day.

Since Heathow hotels are very close to the natural route central London - Southampton, pick-ups there will cost only 10 minutes.

Archived