The Wind or the Aloha?

old bag

Due to work/school contrainst, my family can only travel in the summer. We really would like our next cruise to be to Hawaii -- leaving us with only two options - - the Aloha or the Wind.

Much to our surprise the Wind's 11 day trip is cheaper and the room is larger than the Aloha's 7 day trip. Of course the thought of being stuck in stink for 11 days is concerning.

On a more positive note, neither my husband nor I consider ourselves "sophisticated" enough to want to dress up -- as such the free style aspect of NCL is really attractive.

So, thoughts... Wind or Aloha?

Thanks!
Bonnie

Bonnie, I am going to be sailing on the Wind on Wednesday...I will try to write a review when I return. There are two members of this board who are on the current sailing. They will be back Thursday, so look for their reviews. They are MidTheNight and Gardenmama40 (I think). They usually post on the Hawaii port of call board. I was faced with the exact same decision, and chose to sail on the Wind because we needed to sail in early June. I view the the lower rate and the longer cruise as bonuses. It has been difficult to pack for a family of five for such a long cruise, but I am looking forward to the chance to relax during the extra sea days. I am also very much looking forward to going to Fanning Island because it's unique. I'm sure either cruise you chose will be great.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;1;17;19;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img] [img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;6;9;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]  6/9/04 Norwegian Wind to Hawaii

Hi Bonnie- I was just thinking the same thing. My DH and I would like to go to Hawaii next year for our 10 year anniversary which is in June and I wanted to know peoples opinions on these 2 ships. This will be our first time sailing with NCL.

Ecstasy 6/00
5 year Anniversary

Fantasy 10/01
DM 50th Birthday and
My 31st Birthday

DH 40th Birthday Surprise on the Fascination 6/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;6;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

I just booked the Wind for next summer. I was able to get the only single cabin on the ship. Aloha was almost 3 times as much for a single. And I too want to go to Fanning Island. Sounds very unique!

Becky

Hi Becky,
Yes, the Fanning Islands do seem neat. We like going off of the beaten track -- and we love days at sea.

Hopefully we can get some good feedback from others who have tried the Wind and Aloha.

Bonnie

We cruised the STAR Hawaii cruise last Sept. and loved the trip down to Fanning Island. We are now booked on the WIND Hawaii on Sept. 11th. If you love sea days (we do) and want a great taste of the islands...this is the way to go. We know that the WIND is an older and smaller ship...but the chance to go to Fanning is well worth the trade-off. And the prices for the POA are out of sight right now. We live in Hawaii..but still choose to vacation in the islands. Nuff said!!

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I have read conflicting reviews re Fanning Island and a family friend also had something to say after his trip and it wasn't complimentary. As a matter of fact, he said it was a long way to go and 'boring' when there. As u stated the Wind is cheaper and there usually is a reason. I suspect why the POA is more expensive is because of the refurbishing and as they likely have to pay the staff more to attract the best which is what they usually put aboard 'new' ships on 'new' itineraries (and a large percentage have to be Americans also). Hope u will all post after your cruises and give me your impressions and that u all have wonderful cruises. :0)

Here is my take:
We were on the Star two years ago and due to a medical emergency on board, our cruise did not get to go to Fanning Island. I found that I enjoyed having the extra days on the islands and that wasn't enough! That is why we chose the Aloha for this trip, more time in the Hawaiian Ports.

There is where your choice comes:
1.) Wind: Go "off the beaten" track and to a foreign country that most people don't visit. (Repbulic of Kiribit, which Fanning Island is a part of) You get extra sea days and a chance to see a unique culture.

or
2.) Aloha (or America if you wait): You get more time to see the Hawaiian Islands and hence more chances for shore excursions. You also have a shorter trip and perhaps that would allow you to take an extension in Honolulu, which I highly reccommend.

As far as the price difference, remember that the Aloha is a newly refurbished ship while the Wind is four years old. (if that even matters to you!) Either way, in the end, you need to base you decision on you and your families personal desires and interests!
Have a great trip!

Thanks Jeconk for your advice. It gives me lots to think about.

Ecstasy 6/00
5 year Anniversary

Fantasy 10/01
DM 50th Birthday and
My 31st Birthday

DH 40th Birthday Surprise on the Fascination 6/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;6;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Thank you all for all of your feedback. I can't tell you how helpful your comments have been. (FYI -- we like days at sea -- so we're leaning toward the Wind.)

I look forward to those of you who are cruising on the Wind and Aloha to provide more information.

My friends don't believe me that I can get the level of info I get from this board -- all of you are wonderfully helpful.

Happy sailing!
Bonnie

• 1 month later...
[quote name='old bag']Of course the thought of being stuck in stink for 11 days is concerning.

On a more positive note, neither my husband nor I consider ourselves "sophisticated" enough to want to dress up -- as such the free style aspect of NCL is really attractive.[/QUOTE]

I do not understand what you mean by being "stuck in stink for 11 days." What is going to stink? The ship? The ocean? What?

Also, one really does not have to be a sophisticate or have graduated from a prep school to put on either a tuxedo or a dress for dinner. Take the most sophisticated woman you can imagine - I'll wager she gets dressed the same way you do, Bonnie. Sophistication has nothing to do with it. So please tell us, Bonnie, is it the lack of sophistication on your part, or just the lack of courtesy to others that makes "the free style aspect of NCL (is) really attractive." In other words - you just don't want to. Period. Why not just say that? If you were on Princess, or HAL, or another line, you would still not dress for formal night.

It has nothing to do with sophistication.

Get out on the wrong side of the bed this morning TWA4EVER!! Dang, lay-off.

Old Bag,

I had heard about the rotten egg smell on the Wind (kind of funny when it's put that way :D ) but I think it was only in a certain area and hopefully they have taken care of it.

We are on the Aloha only as transportation between islands. We considered switching to the Wind after reading some bad reviews of POA, but we really like the idea of being in port longer.

Hope this helps,
Sandy

[quote name='Hawaii5o']Get out on the wrong side of the bed this morning TWA4EVER!! Dang, lay-off.[/QUOTE]

I don't take orders from you, Hawaii. I shall comment upon and question anything I please. And what side of the bed I rose from is none of your business.

We are also looking at Hawaii for next summer...I have been trying to talk DH into a cruise for two years....He's got his heart set on an expensive land tour because he fears the ship not being able to port due to weather problems or other problems..Has this even happened to anyone, besides the medical emergency? Thanks for the info!

Jenny :)

We loved Fanning Island and the added sea days are great. Plus, it is fun to say you have been to the Republic of Kiribati because it is so unique. People go what? where?

Fanning Island is like walking into the pages of National Geographic. Our first time there, we were the 12th group of visitors there. Prior to that, a freighter ship three times a year went there and that was it! Very interesting.

Archived