FISHES; Misty Bay or Juneau for Whales?

jtsbusiness

I know this has been asked several times, but now cannot find the answer. We are in Icy Strait on 15 May 3 - 10 pm and Juneau 17 May 7.30 am to 8 pm. Which is the best place to see the whales and possibly bears. I saw a thread thoroughly recommending FISHES and now can't find it again.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated:o

Humpbacks are seen on 100% of the whale watches from either place. I suggest you figure out your entiire touring selections. Then book the whale watch where it fits your time best.

Are you looking for a bear tour?? chance sightings are rare. There is a possible, drive up bear watch out of Hoonah, and a fly in to Pack Creek out of Juneau.

Generally there is a lot less to do in Icy Strait Point than Juneau so I would suggest the whale watch in ISP. Lots of good options in Juneau, but I disagree with Budget Queen about Pack Creek. Mid May is way too early for Pack Creek. I also feel it is too early for a bear "search" in Hoonah.

Generally there is a lot less to do in Icy Strait Point than Juneau so I would suggest the whale watch in ISP. Lots of good options in Juneau, but I disagree with Budget Queen about Pack Creek. Mid May is way too early for Pack Creek. I also feel it is too early for a bear "search" in Hoonah.

Correct on this bear information. It was general information, I was giving, since I didn't notice the date. A "chance" possible, all day, driving the Klondike Highway, perhaps?

There is a possible, drive up bear watch out of Hoonah, and a fly in to Pack Creek out of Juneau.g.gif

That is exactly what Budget Queen said but apparently you missed my post that both of these are too early for the OP in May. Well, if someone wanted to throw their money away I guess not. But bear sightings that early at Pack Creek are slim to none. Hoonah would be slightly better, but even in the best of times it is called a bear "search" for good reasons. You can read more than one report on CC of the "search" coming up empty-handed.

Thank you all for your input.

The lady on the FISHES web site said that it might be possible to see bears coming down to the water front especially as there has been so much snow. However MISTY email said no chance of bears and would not have time to do both a whale watch and bear hunt. Just wondering now which of the two organisations to go for if we were to plump for one or the other. Any recommendations?

Thank you all for your input.

The lady on the FISHES web site said that it might be possible to see bears coming down to the water front especially as there has been so much snow. However MISTY email said no chance of bears and would not have time to do both a whale watch and bear hunt. Just wondering now which of the two organisations to go for if we were to plump for one or the other. Any recommendations?

If I were you I would go with FISHIES since Floyd has lived in Hoonah his whole life and knows what to expect. The folks from Misty Bay just moved into town a couple years ago and I'm sure they are still learning the area

Thanks. I am erring towards FISHES but then saw a comment on Trip Advisor where they did not wait for somebody to get off the tender boat as they did not want to be late for the next trip. I have only had to come off a tender boat once, and they was a free for all so bit concerned.:(

Anybody else had any experience of this?

FISHES has excellent reviews for the most part. We were going to book with them but were a little nervous about the tender also. They told me to just make sure I was one of the first ones off. We then decided to go with Rum Runners in Juneau and combined a whale watch with salmon fishing. We are in Juneau for 14 hours and only in Icy Straight for 7 so that was part of our decision. We may just walk around Icy Straight and then hang out on the ship. We are very busy in the other three ports.

I've been whale watching with Misty Bay Lodge (last Aug.) and can HIGHLY recommend them! Capt. Dan was a wonderful host on his six passenger, very comfortable boat. Interior viewing as well as aft covered area outside for great viewing. And if the weather is good, there is a fly bridge on top with a padded seat. Unfortunately, it was raining the day we were there, though I did climb up to take a peak;)! Spent the majority of our time on the aft covered deck and we had a spectacular day of whale watching - how fortunate! Literally breach after breach after breach, and numerous instances of bubblenet feeding. Now be aware that is not normally the behavior and we do realize we hit a jackpot whale watching day. Would go with them in a heartbeat and do not hesitate to recommend them to everyone. Both Capt. Dan and his wife Hope were very helpful and responsive to my emails and phoned me twice answering all my questions. They pick you up just outside the cannery where the ship's tenders drop you off.

I went on a bear search with them afterwards, while my niece and her boyfriend walked around Hoonah, and then Hope invited them to have lunch with her with the offer of a ride back to the ship. Very accomodating! My bear search was once again very successful and we ended up watching two bears very close up for about 45 minutes each.

All in all, I have great confidence in recommending Misty Bay Lodge for whale watching (and a bear search if you are there during the salmon run). Enjoy your day in ISP! I hope to go back sometime and spend a few days there - just loved that it was unspoiled and very natural.

Thanks for your post Assateague Island Princes, I have my family booked with Misty Bay and was worried as they new to the area. You have put my mind at ease. I know they have a new catamaran this year with whale listening devices.

You're very welcome, and I don't think you'll be disappointed! I too saw they have a new boat - looks nice and stable. Hope you have as great luck as we did. Please tell Hope and Dan that Lynda, Allie and Bill said hello! In their lodge, where they take you to settle up for the whale watch trip, they have a photo posted that my niece Allie took on our trip - its a whale tail with another boat (F.I.S.H.E.S. I believe) behind it and it looks like the tail is holding the boat. Allie sent it to Capt. Dan and he said he framed it for his shop. BTW - the lady in orange and man on the right on the F.I.S.H.E.S. boat is VBMom (and her husband Bob) from these boards! They were on the same cruise as we were, and I had sent her some photos - what a surprise when we discovered we had a shot of them on THEIR whale watch trip! LOL! Small world.

Also, according to their website, I think Hope and Dan have actually been in ISP for about 10 years, if I'm not mistaken. So while they aren't 'lifers' so to speak, they apparently have some experience there. Good people.

So enjoy your whale watch and ISP - its a lovely little port, very quiet and serene, very "Alaskan" without all the touristy shops, etc. We very much were smitten by it and hope you are too.

Archived