a visa for Kiribati for green card holder

big green

we are thinking about a 30 day cruise to hawaii//south pacific

I have searched the internet all morning -- does Holland American require

a green card holder (permanent US resident) with a valid South african passport to have a visa to visit this little island-

Thanks

Big Green

Wouldn't the question be whether Kiribati requires the visa? ;)

Your green card should not make a difference, it matters what passport you have.

http://www.kiribatitourism.gov.ki/index.php/practicalinformation/visainformation

spme places have exceptions for permanent resident alien green card holders--

--has anyone had this experience on this cruise??

Thanks

Big Green

spme places have exceptions for permanent resident alien green card holders--

--has anyone had this experience on this cruise??

Thanks

Big Green

Never heard of that, and I held a green card for 10 years. Not saying it isn't true, I just never came across that.

It may be that you may not need one because you are on a cruise ship. Try calling HAL or contact Kiribati authorities.

a green card holder (permanent US resident) with a valid South african passport to have a visa to visit this little island-

Thanks

Big Green

Your Green Card only gives you the right to permanent USA Residency it does not give you USA Citizenship. You are still a South African Citizen and that's the determining factor. It's appears from the following link that South Africa is not on the exemption list and you might have to apply for visa.

http://www.kiribatitourism.gov.ki/images/stories/Republic_of_Kiribati_Entry_Requirements.pdf

Please contact Zierer Visa Service for a correct answer regarding visas.

www.zvs.com

You'll be entering Kiribati on your South African passport, not your green card.

When you return to the US, you'll be entering the US on your green card, not your SA passport.

When you return to the US, you'll be entering the US on your green card, not your SA passport.

Correction: you enter the USA with South African passport - and need the green card to give you entry. ;)

To the OP: FYI if you decide to take US citizenship in the future - you can keep SA citizenship too but you have to get permission from SA first before you start any application. (I did it, I have both)

Thanks

Big Green

I received the following response via email today from the Kiribati consul in

honolulu today:

The Honolulu Consulate of Kiribati's response to your phone call was the "official statement" you appear to be seeking.

Passengers, WITH VALID PASSPORT, on board Holland America cruise vessel with port call permit, ARE EXEMPT

FROM A REQUIREMENT TO OBTAIN A VISA BEFORE ENTERING CHRISTMAS ISLAND.

Regardfs,

Hon. Consul

Consulate of kiribati

Honolului

Honolului is the small town outside Honolulu where the airport is located. :)

Ahhh, interesting. Thanks.

Learn something new everyday. :)

I thought it odd the Consul wouldn't know how to spell it. :D (It caught my eye.)

i read a story the other day that kirbati is sinking into the ocean and the government is looking for a place to move all the islanders to. seriously.

That is what we were told on our cruise/port stop there too....yes, that is serious...Holland America also does donations for the people on this island too...

I received the following response via email today from the Kiribati consul in

honolulu today:

The Honolulu Consulate of Kiribati's response to your phone call was the "official statement" you appear to be seeking.

Passengers, WITH VALID PASSPORT, on board Holland America cruise vessel with port call permit, ARE EXEMPT

FROM A REQUIREMENT TO OBTAIN A VISA BEFORE ENTERING CHRISTMAS ISLAND.

Regardfs,

Hon. Consul

Consulate of kiribati

Honolului

Suggest you print the email and pack it with your cruise documents. Probably not needed but would still take a copy.

Archived