sea sick on Alaska Cruise

gardenflower_99

does there tend to be more motion sickness on the Alaskan Cruises? My husband suffers from motion sickness in cars.. airplanes ( when turbulant) airport shuttles. We are thinking of doing an Alaskan Cruise for his 40th birthday ... but I am real nervous about him getting sick and missing out on the fun! Is there a better time to travel where there would be less rocking? or different areas to go that would be less chances of motion sickness? Thanks so much for any information !!!

Might be a "little" rocky sailing southbound when you come out of Ketchikan before you get into the inside passage but it hasn't been like that all the time.

Also, ask your doctor about the patches. You wear a flesh colored little patch behind your ear. It works real well but it is a prescription.

There is also the wrist bands that work well for a lot of people. Then there is always bonine or dramamine and even when you take the non-drowsy kind don't take too much or you can still get drowsy.

We cruised the last week in May 2011 from Seattle to Seattle and all was great. I took GINGER pills everyday for all the different food choices AND seasick possibilities. Never had any problems. My cruise advisor recommends Dramamine....but I worry about being all drowsey and not enjoying my trip!! Going again the last week May 2013...cant wait!!!!!!!!

I have encountered rough sailing with sick passengers, on every route. You are on water, expect motion.

I suggest you have your husband, consult with his health care professional, there are many precautions that are successful.

Then there is always bonine or dramamine and even when you take the non-drowsy kind don't take too much or you can still get drowsy.

This could be the same drug, if you are talking about a 24 hour option. There are several dosing options that can significantly reduce any drowsy side effects.

ALL drugs have issues with side effects- I ONLY recommend- again, consult your health care professional.

I too have heard this & planned accordingly. ;)

Half of my trip planned out perfectly out of luck...I learned about the Inside Passage and that Glacier Bay was not to be missed, and that balcony was highly recommnded AFTER I booked my cruise lol :D

Its the ocean and if it floats it could rock :D

I've done two cruises in Alska one "inside" one west of the island. FWIW the worst storm I ever experienced was on my inside passage, not to scare you its all about the weather.

Carribean can be good unless a storm/hurrican

Med can be great unless one gets 50knot winds, which I once experienced too.

If you are on the ocean except some montion, but you could be lucky!

Even after that FUD, I think Alaska is no worse or better than any other region. There are medications that one can take but like all medications are not without some other side effect.

does there tend to be more motion sickness on the Alaskan Cruises? My husband suffers from motion sickness in cars.. airplanes ( when turbulant) airport shuttles. We are thinking of doing an Alaskan Cruise for his 40th birthday ... but I am real nervous about him getting sick and missing out on the fun! Is there a better time to travel where there would be less rocking? or different areas to go that would be less chances of motion sickness? Thanks so much for any information !!!

• 3 weeks later...

We went in June, southbound Whittier to Vancouver and it was the smoothest sailing we have ever done. Weather is impossible to predict, of course, but ours was great.

Archived