Need some advice

k9hndler

I am considering booking the Wonder for a quick three night cruise and surprise my wife for our Sept Anniversary. I have heard great things about the Disney ships for kids, but we will be leaving our children with grandma so my wife and I will have some romantic alone time. This will be our first vacation by our selves since the kid’s births. Is Disney Right for us? Any input is appreciated.

We also plan on bringing the kids on a Disney cruise when they are old enough to appreciate it, maybe a few years from now.

Howdy,

My husband and I have taken disney by ourselves and with kids and grandkids.

It was fantastic each and every time. We are going by ourselves again on May 12th. There is the adult pool with hot tub, no one under 18. There is a quiet place on deck 9 past the adult pool called the cove which is a quiet area for adults only to relax and have time for themselves. They have drinks, both alcoholic and non alcoholic, and espressos too. Very nice. Then there is the Spa, which has many romantic packages to choose from, or just an hour to your selves doing what ever spa experience you want. Palo's is a must for a romantic dinner. Again, no one under 18. You must dress nice and make reservations the minute you get on board as it fills up fast!!!I believe it costs $10 per person to go there. That is the gratuity, no extra charge for the food. They do offer romantic package deals that you might want to check into with the cruise line. Of course there are clubs at night with lots of musuc, dancung and they haveadult comedy shows too. They are done in good taste, but definately adult themed. If these things sould like something your wife would like, I say go for it! We love it. And it will give you a sample of what to expect when you bring the kids in the future.

Have a magical time.

mom x4,grandma x4

We have cruised DCL three times without kids. That being said, unless you love, love, love the mouse, if you are not bringing the kids, this may not be the perfect quick ROMANTIC getaway for the two of you. Quite frankly DCL is expensive, and although the service and attention to detail is outstanding, and the shows are spectacular, other cruiselines have better food and better activities for adults. Since you are planning on taking the kids on DCL at a later date, IMHO, if it were me, I would investigate other cruiselines for this short trip. If you are willing to give up the pixie dust, you can definitely find a cruise that is a better value that you will still have an awesome time on.

We have cruised DCL three times without kids. That being said, unless you love, love, love the mouse, if you are not bringing the kids, this may not be the perfect quick ROMANTIC getaway for the two of you. Quite frankly DCL is expensive, and although the service and attention to detail is outstanding, and the shows are spectacular, other cruiselines have better food and better activities for adults. Since you are planning on taking the kids on DCL at a later date, IMHO, if it were me, I would investigate other cruiselines for this short trip. If you are willing to give up the pixie dust, you can definitely find a cruise that is a better value that you will still have an awesome time on.

CONCUR

unless you are REALLY into the Disney thing....don't subject yourself to 1000 kids that AIN'T YOURS!:eek:

Disney as a family trip is GREAT.:D

Disney as an adult escape is..............huh?:cool:

{if you got the bucks - do a WINDSTAR - if you don't....save and wait! Now THAT's a getaway} ;)

I know that adults swear by DCL without kids, but I would never consider it. It was a fantastic trip, but very geared toward our kids. If you want romantic and are leaving your own kids behind, go for a different cruise line. You will be surrounded by kids otherwise! If you do decide to go, don't miss Palo's. It's a great grown-up experience.

p.s. We've done Celebrity without the kids and loved it.

We went 3 adults and we probally would not had picked Disney but we got a great last minute deal-we actually had a balcony stateroom on deck 6 on the Wonder and we got this for the normal going price for an oceanview on fanasty or Sovereign,.

We loeved it and yes there were TONS of kids and if I had had to stay at the children's or family pools I would have hated it but the adult pool was great-hardly anyone there.

We never had any problems with children-the worse I could say was some tiny ones crying in terror at the Hercules show at that Hades guy-(not that I could blame them-he was a pretty scary thing -I could see why a 3 year old would be terrified)

We loved Palos and we also enjoyed very much Route 66 and the Cadallic Club which had great adult entertainment. One was a piano bar the other had a live band. I thought these lounges every bit as good as lounges I have been on other ships.

But for Disney's normal price you could probally book a nice 7 day cruise on Princess-which may be a better fit since this is a romantic getaway. I have only taken one Princess cruise but I found Princess was great-much better then Carnival or RCCL.

I will say this though- if you only have time for a mini cruise I would pick the Wonder over Sovereign or Fanasty any time. Even if I had to pay more for the Disney cruise-comapred to those other 2 ships it is much nicer.

Castaway Key is tons nicer then Coco Cay and has a wonderful adults only area. You can even book a massage there.

I got a terrific deal on a 3 day on wonder, and booked for our anniversary. We are looking forward to this time away, and appreciated everybody's advice.

Thanks again

Good for you -- we're getting ready to book a 4-night for our 10th anniversary. We have one-year-old twin boys who will be staying with the Grandparents.

We have heard great things about the adult areas/activities (that they are actually enforced, for one thing), and we figure it will be good research for when the boys are big enough.

I got a terrific deal on a 3 day on wonder, and booked for our anniversary.

Haven't been here in a while and just wanted to comment. What I found is that Disney offers such great programming for kids you're more likely to ask where they all went. To avoid dining with lots of children, book late seating for your meals. And as far as food quality is concerned, I have sailed on both Disney and Royal Caribbean. DCL was substantially better in my opinion.

Wishing you a terrific anniversary cruise...

I've done 6 Disney Cruises without children and had a terrific time on every cruise!

Palo is a MUST for you since it is a special anniversary surprise. The entertainment area is kid-free after 9 pm and I know you will have a blast!

Happy Anniversary! :)

Cathy

Haven't been here in a while and just wanted to comment. What I found is that Disney offers such great programming for kids you're more likely to ask where they all went. To avoid dining with lots of children, book late seating for your meals. And as far as food quality is concerned, I have sailed on both Disney and Royal Caribbean. DCL was substantially better in my opinion.

QUOTE]

I have to disagree with the booking late seating theory when you are on the short Wonder cruises. We went during a traditionally low children time and late seating was still packed with children. While you can almost find time away from kids on the Magic, the Wonder is packed with families due to the length of the cruise and also the popularity of the land sea vacations.

I've done the Wonder twice with DD, but I feel I've missed on some adult parts of those cruises...the pool, the clubs, etc., and even the adult beach on Cataway. She's with us, and we're with her the whole time.

Hey, you can't go wrong anywhere on a 3 day getaway, and it'll get you ready for planning on what to do with the kids.

Bon voyage!

Archived