Copyright photos

Karencruiser43

Does anybody know of a website that Princess is affiliated with where you can print off a letter that authorizes you to have copies made of your photos that were purchased onboard. I have a website that I have used for years that has a lot of cruise lines on it who authorize copies of their photos, but unfortunately, Princess cruise line is not on this website. Can anybody help. Thank you!

Does anybody know of a website that Princess is affiliated with where you can print off a letter that authorizes you to have copies made of your photos that were purchased onboard. I have a website that I have used for years that has a lot of cruise lines on it who authorize copies of their photos, but unfortunately, Princess cruise line is not on this website. Can anybody help. Thank you!

Call Princess and they can send you the copyright release...

I didn't even know that existed!! That would be wonderful to have!! Do you happen to know if Carnival is on the one you have? I could use that for the pics we purchased from our most recent cruise.

Celine

I didn't even know that existed!! That would be wonderful to have!! Do you happen to know if Carnival is on the one you have? I could use that for the pics we purchased from our most recent cruise.

Celine

This is the site for Azamara, Celebrity, Cunard, Disney, NCL (but just a few ships), Paul Gaugain and Royal Caribbean:

http://www.image.com/html/guest-postcruiseCopyrightReleaseForm.cfm

Carnival has a .pdf file that you can print (Princess should do this!!).

http://www.carnival.com/cms/FAQs/PhotoRelease.pdf

I never used a release letter to have prints made but are they issued for a specific photo or does it cover any & all Princess photo's?

The release form is for the prints that you purchased whilst aboard the ship. It technically covers all prints, including stock photos, but the intent is that you are allowed to reproduce those prints only for personal use.

The release form is for the prints that you purchased whilst aboard the ship. It technically covers all prints, including stock photos, but the intent is that you are allowed to reproduce those prints only for personal use.

I understand that you're supposed to have a release letter but once you have a copy I'm assuming that it can be applied to any photo purchased at any time. Is that so? There's no number association between the letter and a specific photo is there?

Sorry to sound dumb on this one, but are you not allowed to make copies of pictures you purchased of yourself on board or what? Will photo companies not do the print for you?

Each photo has a stamp in the back stating that the picture has a copyright. Legally speaking, one is not to reproduce copyright material without the owner of the copyright's consent.

This is the site for Azamara, Celebrity, Cunard, Disney, NCL (but just a few ships), Paul Gaugain and Royal Caribbean:

http://www.image.com/html/guest-postcruiseCopyrightReleaseForm.cfm

Carnival has a .pdf file that you can print (Princess should do this!!).

http://www.carnival.com/cms/FAQs/PhotoRelease.pdf

Thanks so much!!! I can now go to Costco and make copies for everyone in my family!! :)

Sorry to sound dumb on this one, but are you not allowed to make copies of pictures you purchased of yourself on board or what? Will photo companies not do the print for you?

Ah, I see, so you either have to get the copyright release or go at it yourself with a scanner and photo paper in your printer lol

That's pretty much how it works. I've even had some places question me if it was a copyrighted photo & if you tell them "of course not" they print it. I suppose it relieves them of any obligation. Since each picture doesn't need a separate release the whole idea of having one is a joke. LOL I suppose it you used it in a publication for profit it might be a completely different story.

I've printed photo's downloaded & some of them do look very professional & they'll also be questioned at times.

Just get one of the other ones and change the name from Carnival to Princess. Or just bring the Carnival one. They guy making the copies will not know the difference.

I understand that you're supposed to have a release letter but once you have a copy I'm assuming that it can be applied to any photo purchased at any time. Is that so? There's no number association between the letter and a specific photo is there?

Not at all... as others have noted, they keep the release and use it over and over again.

That's pretty much how it works. I've even had some places question me if it was a copyrighted photo & if you tell them "of course not" they print it. I suppose it relieves them of any obligation. Since each picture doesn't need a separate release the whole idea of having one is a joke. LOL I suppose it you used it in a publication for profit it might be a completely different story.

I've printed photo's downloaded & some of them do look very professional & they'll also be questioned at times.

Yes, if you "lie" and say that the print is not copyrighted, that relieves the photo lab from liability. Princess photos do not have a watermark on the back that specifically states that the photos are copyrighted, but others do... a reputable lab would not print those photos without a release. And, yes, if you reproduced a photo taken by Princess and incorporated it into something that you sold, then the financial liability (to you and the photo lab) could be staggering.

Just get one of the other ones and change the name from Carnival to Princess. Or just bring the Carnival one. They guy making the copies will not know the difference.

I suppose. But getting a release from Princess is as easy as giving them a call and they will email it to you.

And I guess in this day and age of digital photography, most photo labs don't have highly trained personnel anymore... developing film used to be an art form.

Not at all... as others have noted, they keep the release and use it over and over again.

Yes, if you "lie" and say that the print is not copyrighted, that relieves the photo lab from liability. Princess photos do not have a watermark on the back that specifically states that the photos are copyrighted, but others do... a reputable lab would not print those photos without a release. And, yes, if you reproduced a photo taken by Princess and incorporated it into something that you sold, then the financial liability (to you and the photo lab) could be staggering.

I suppose. But getting a release from Princess is as easy as giving them a call and they will email it to you.

And I guess in this day and age of digital photography, most photo labs don't have highly trained personnel anymore... developing film used to be an art form.

Somehow I don't see what good having a copy of the release does anyone since 1 copy is good for a lifetime, so why bother? If you actually needed one for each separate picture it would make some sense.

I worked at a photo lab years ago...at that time there was a $250,000 fine for reproducing copyrighted photos. We had to have a copyright release from the company/photographer before we could reproduce any photos that were copyrighted.

Some companies now have a watermark on their prints so that they cannot be copied...even with a release. Meaning all copies have to come from the company/photographer who took the photos. It's a big money making scam for a lot of private photographers.

I worked at a photo lab years ago...at that time there was a $250,000 fine for reproducing copyrighted photos. We had to have a copyright release from the company/photographer before we could reproduce any photos that were copyrighted.

Some companies now have a watermark on their prints so that they cannot be copied...even with a release. Meaning all copies have to come from the company/photographer who took the photos. It's a big money making scam for a lot of private photographers.

By watermark, do you mean printed on the back?

By watermark, do you mean printed on the back?

No they actually print it across the front of the photo, but it's undetected unless you try to reproduce the print. Sometimes it will have the name of the company across it and where the lettering is the picture will be blurred. Some companies even have it so that it will print their name in black across the front of the picture.

Somehow I don't see what good having a copy of the release does anyone since 1 copy is good for a lifetime, so why bother? If you actually needed one for each separate picture it would make some sense.

I understand the confusion, but it's just the legal requirement. Cruise lines are probably among the least stringent of those companies that could enforce their copyrights, so by providing the release, they are legally absolving you from any wrongdoing by reproducing a photo that, technically, belongs to them. In reality, they are not going to spend time and money hunting down people that reproduce cruise photos without obtaining a release, but legally, they could do so...

I'm not sure that I'd call it a scam... sure a private photographer (and most studios) would want to sell you extra copies because they can charge more than if you went to the local Target and scanned that photo, but that is part of their livelihood. The photos (negatives or files) belong to the photographer. If someone illegally reproduces said photos without a release, then they are guilty of a crime. Luckily, many of the mass-market studios (JCPenney, Sears, etc) will sell you a CD/DVD of the images (for more money, of course) which transfers the right of ownership to the consumer. Then you can use the images for any purpose whatsoever.

Luckily, many of the mass-market studios (JCPenney, Sears, etc) will sell you a CD/DVD of the images (for more money, of course) which transfers the right of ownership to the consumer. Then you can use the images for any purpose whatsoever.

This is not true. Possession of the digital files does not imply ownership. You would still need a release. The Intellectual Property is still owned by the photographer or studio where the photos were taken. A release is needed whether or not you have the digital files in your possession or not.

I sell digital files all the time with limited reproduction rights. I've never sold the ownership of the copyright.

No they actually print it across the front of the photo, but it's undetected unless you try to reproduce the print. Sometimes it will have the name of the company across it and where the lettering is the picture will be blurred. Some companies even have it so that it will print their name in black across the front of the picture.

Interesting. Is the watermark also detected once the photo is scanned? I've had smaller copies made that way & have never been questioned.

Archived