Question re: 19 year old

Markmom18

My son (20) and his gf (19) will be going with us on our cruise. Yes, we have them "booked" with an adult. My son & husband in a room, and myself and gf in a room. Of course, when we get onboard things will change. But, I'm now wondering since I'm technically booked with the gf, do I need to get her parents travel permission? When we sign the cruise documents does she accept the terms, or do I accept the terms? Is a "minor" just anyone under the age of 21 (who isn't married)??? :confused::confused:

Thank you.

My son (20) and his gf (19) will be going with us on our cruise. Yes, we have them "booked" with an adult. My son & husband in a room, and myself and gf in a room. Of course, when we get onboard things will change. But, I'm now wondering since I'm technically booked with the gf, do I need to get her parents travel permission? When we sign the cruise documents does she accept the terms, or do I accept the terms? Is a "minor" just anyone under the age of 21 (who isn't married)??? :confused::confused:

Thank you.

I would guess a minor would be under 18....

Thank you both for replying so quickly. I'll just accept the terms for everybody. Since over 18 is an adult, then why am I doing this silly dance of booking the 20 and 19 year old with an "adult"? The PVP told me since my son & gf were not married and under 21 my husband and I were elected to share a cabin with one of them. Not new news here I know. Thanks again. :)

you must be a cool mom. I would never let my son share a room with his gf on a cruise. When he is away at college I know he shares his room with his gf but ......out of sight as they say. Why encourage them? Sorry I guess I still a little old-fashioned.

You can call and have the rooms switched showing booked the way it will be on the ship. For me it is just easier having things the way they should be (don't have to worry about two cards, one for S&S and one for door). I would call and change it:)

you must be a cool mom. I would never let my son share a room with his gf on a cruise. When he is away at college I know he shares his room with his gf but ......out of sight as they say. Why encourage them? Sorry I guess I still a little old-fashioned.

They are adults and it's not like they are staying in your home.

I am going to throw the monkey wrench at you OP. In the real world the gf is an adult for all purposes, but there have been reports that Carnival wants parental permission for anyone under 21 to sail. Don't ask for an explanation because I don't have one.

To be on the safe side have the gf get permission from her parents in the form of a letter, not a big deal and might save having to track it down when you get to the port.

Not a cool mom, just one that accepts reality and is not into playing games and turning her son into a liar. Think about it.

I am going to throw the monkey wrench at you OP. In the real world the gf is an adult for all purposes, but there have been reports that Carnival wants parental permission for anyone under 21 to sail. Don't ask for an explanation because I don't have one.

To be on the safe side have the gf get permission from her parents in the form of a letter, not a big deal and might save having to track it down when you get to the port.

I understand the idea of covering all the bases, but I can't imagine how angry I would be if Carnival told me a 19 year old adult needed parents permission to cruise. I would raise hell. Old enough to enlist, old enough to cruise.

I think to make sure you should call Carnival and find out for sure, get NAMES of who you talk to. And take a letter of parental permission anyway, just to cover all bases. I believe in Murphys' Law!!!

I would never judge you for your son and his gf sharing a room, I don't think anyone should judge others.

I take care of my backyard and let others take care of their own!!!

Have a good time.

Carole

Thank you both for replying so quickly. I'll just accept the terms for everybody. Since over 18 is an adult, then why am I doing this silly dance of booking the 20 and 19 year old with an "adult"? The PVP told me since my son & gf were not married and under 21 my husband and I were elected to share a cabin with one of them. Not new news here I know. Thanks again. :)

We are cruisin in November, and also taking son and his girlfriend. He will be 25 then, and she will be 21, but when we booked, we booked myself and GF in one room and husband and son in other room. This was so we could get the past guest rate on both rooms. We will switch rooms when we get on board.

Perhaps that was another reason that your PVP told you to book the way you did?

I understand the idea of covering all the bases, but I can't imagine how angry I would be if Carnival told me a 19 year old adult needed parents permission to cruise. I would raise hell. Old enough to enlist, old enough to cruise.

I'm with you, I think that if they are old enough to go overseas and risk thier lives than not only should they be old enough to not need thier parents permission, they should also be able to buy a drink, a cigarette and book a room together on thier own. My DD is 20, she has been to Europe quite a few times and over there she was pretty much considered an adult and responsible for her own actions. We baby our kids waaaayyy to much. "When is an adult not an adult?" Think about it.

Perhaps that was another reason that your PVP told you to book the way you did? Hi, OP here, no we're all brand new to Carnival. I booked ES Rate. The PVP just told me, what I've shared here, so I just went with it. It surprised me to read the judgement calls with just a couple of the posters, truly. I like whoever said, take care of your own backyard. :)

Thank you.

I took my sister, who was 19 at the time, on a cruise with me. I had read on Carnival's site that anyone under 21 (not married) would need a notarized letter from the parents stating they gave permission for her to travel without them out of the country. We just typed up a letter, went to the bank and had it notarized. No one at the port ever asked to see any such letter, but I wanted to have it just in case. Not sure if the rules have changed.

We are cruisin in November, and also taking son and his girlfriend. He will be 25 then, and she will be 21, but when we booked, we booked myself and GF in one room and husband and son in other room. This was so we could get the past guest rate on both rooms. We will switch rooms when we get on board.

Perhaps that was another reason that your PVP told you to book the way you did?

25 Isn't 20 and 21 isn't 19. The rule is anyone under 21 must be booked in a room with someone over 25 unless travelling with Parent or legal guardian.

To the OP, the letter is only recommended by Carnival. My wife took my DD and her BFF on a cruise a few weeks ago. no letter required.

Get a signed letter just in case, don't want anything to hold ya up at the port!

From Carnival's site...

Guests Under the Age of 21 NOT Traveling with Parents / Grandparents

The minor must travel with a guardian 25 years of age or older in the same stateroom. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

•*Legally married couples and same gender union couples less than 21 years of age must provide Carnival with legal proof of marriage/civil union at least two weeks prior to sailing.

•*Documentation can be e-mailed to individualsailingsupport@carnival.com or faxed to 305-406-6479.

•*For those guests whose marriage/civil union will not take place until closer to the sailing date, they must bring proof of their marriage/civil union to embarkation. Failure to do so will result in denied boarding and* no refund.

•*Documentation: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Infants must be at least six months old (twelve months for Transatlantic, Hawaii and South America cruises) to be eligible to travel.

Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will be denied boarding and assessed a 100% cancellation penalty. NO exceptions will be made at embarkation.

Please note that adult guests are responsible for the safety and behavior of their minor guests. Our Camp Carnival®, Circle "C" and Club O2 programs features supervised activities for children 2-17.

Spa Carnival and fitness center: Guests under 12 years of age are not permitted in these facilities.* Guests between the ages of 12 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.

All guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo I.D. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

Air Travel / Hotel Stay - Guests under the age of 21, staying at any hotel in conjunction with Carnival’s Fly Aweigh® program, may be required to be accompanied by a guest 21 years or older in the same room as per each hotel’s policy. Permission for minor guests to fly unaccompanied is determined by the airlines as per each airline’s policy.* We suggest you check with your scheduled airline for their requirements.* Carnival assumes no responsibility for guests under the age of 21 traveling unaccompanied by air.

????

Let me get THIS straight. I assume you have no problem your son going to join the military at 20 and shooting at people or being killed or otherwise defending your and your friends freedom BUT you have a hang up with him having sex?????? Thats not old fashioned....thats just sad. Maybe if he was 16 but the guy is a man and old enough to marry.......and fight.......

This cruise line thing of treating adults under 21 I would have thought could be challenged. Once again they can work, they are not legally have to attend school, they can join the military and fight and die for their country, hell they can even be flying as pilots etc but little old Canival et all still treats them like children. IN which case if they themselves are employing people under 21 and given the hours they make them work wouldn't Carnival be breaching international child labour explotaiton rules?

To someone like me its amusing how the land of the free actually does treat its citizens freedoms and no one sticks up a finger in protest....

Maybe its just me but when my child becomes an adult, I dont really get to tell them what to do anymore. I suppose I could pull the old BS of "If I am paying, you follow my rules!" but as an adult, I don't like being told what to do by my mother and I extend that same courtesy to my children.

I think having to be 25 to book a cruise is a bit silly. I can understand 21 but 25? My husband and I started dating as teenagers. We are now in our late twenties. I see absolutely nothing wrong with couples living together. I think if people would live together and truly get to know each other before getting married, there would be less divorces. Some parents need to learn to accept the fact that their children are adults and they can no longer control what their adult children do.

Whoa, did anyone else catch that line in the "rules". Anyone between the ages of 12 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult at "all times"? Then all these children, and some even under the age of 12, running around the ship at 1 or 2 am, must all be in my imagination. They're not really there at all. LOL

First hand experience, you don't need a letter from the GF parents. She is an adult. We have cruised with my DD and her friend both 19 (Oct 2011). We split them up just as you are you doing for the booking. No problem at all.

I flew in to Jax was renting a car and was so depressed. A solider came home from active duty, his wife and kid took a bus to meet him. But he was not allowed to rent a car to drive back home 6 hours away because he was 20. I still feel bad for just handing him $$$ but at the time all I could do. Sorry kid you risked your life for me but I'm closing on a house in an hour and my wife won't understand.

Whoa, did anyone else catch that line in the "rules". Anyone between the ages of 12 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult at "all times"? Then all these children, and some even under the age of 12, running around the ship at 1 or 2 am, must all be in my imagination. They're not really there at all. LOL

That rule is for the Spa/fitness area only:

Spa Carnival and fitness center: Guests under 12 years of age are not permitted in these facilities.* Guests between the ages of 12 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.

Archived