Those who have cruised Princess and HAL

lovevacadays

I believe the Veranda Cabins are similar, both have bath tubs. That is a plus for me.

Both lines are very similar. We have cruised the Westerdam, Eurodam and Statendam on HAL.

Really like the Westerdam, did two cruises - a TA and a Eastern Mediterranean on it. It has been 3-4 years since we have been on HAL.

We have about 45+ cruises, on 7-8 lines, have lost count, so we are kinda of picky about what itinerary we want.

We love Princess, HAL, Cunard and Celebrity, in that order.

Been on both Princess (most often) and a few HAL ships. Can't really answer your questions because it can depend on the ships.

Will say HAL normally has decent sized balcony cabins. We mostly book mini- suites on Princess but would have no problem with going again with a balcony cabin on HAL.

the hal mini-suites are similar to the princess mini-suites, however, the bathrooms on hal are larger, there are two vanity sinks and a separate tub and shower. the balcony furniture is nicer on hal, imho. what is really better about hal to me are the beds and the linens. the beds are fabulously comfortable and the linens are really first rate. i always need an eggcrate mattress topper with princess and that only reinforces the fact that the mattress is very uncomfortable for me. hal gives you a dvd player in the mini-suite and princess doesn't. the hal room service menu is better than princess because they have hot breakfasts which the last time i cruised with princess, they did not. also, hal has a great selection of appetizers on their room service menu if you like those sort of things.

however, i am going on a princess cruise in two weeks and i've booked princess for 2013. i primarily like princess itineraries and that trumps hal. has this helped or confused you more? i hope i've helped but these are just my opinions. i'm sure you'll hear all sorts of reasons why people prefer one line over the other.

cheers

What cabin type on HAL would be equivalent to a minisuite on Princess? And what do you like/dislike better on either or?

Minis on Princess Grand Class ships are much closer to suites than to balcony cabins on HAL Signature Class ships.

Princess

2qdzejl.jpg

2gxmbmq.jpg

Pros:

Balconies hovering over the sea.

Beautiful unobstructed views.

Minis on Emerald deck - best affordable cabins (for 3-4 pax) at sea.

Cons:

Uncovered balconies (except minis on Emerald deck)

HAL

9bgpzt.jpg

29em2i8.jpg

Pros:

Typical suites on HAL are more square-shaped with therefore wider balconies.

Some suite "perks" applicable.

Cons:

Located over lifeboats, especially the cheapest ones.

Typically, minis on Princess are about $200 more expensive than the best regular balcony cabins on HAL.

The cheapest suites on HAL and minis on Princess are priced equally.

Typical suites on HAL are about $500+ more than minis on Princess.

Prices may vary.

In essence: larger balconies over lifeboats on HAL vs uncovered balconies with beautiful views on Princess.

Exceptional Emerald deck minis on Princess are unbeatable.

What cabin type on HAL would be equivalent to a minisuite on Princess? And what do you like/dislike better on either or?
I had a VA "Superior Verandah" on the Oosterdam and Zuiderdam and would say that this cabin is very similar to a Princess mini-suite plus if you can snag one of the aft balconies on deck 5, they have a huge covered balcony. They don't have as much storage as a Princess mini-suite, though:

Cabin%25205184.jpg

Sitting%2520Area.jpg

Cabin%25205184%2520Balcony.jpg

Joanie, a frequent poster on the HAL boards, has put together an absolutely awesome website with the pro's and con's of just about every cabin on every HAL ship, with photos and reviews: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/

I really enjoyed HAL much more than Princess. My lobster tail on HAL was of normal size....not the tiny tiny ones you get on Princess. I found service to be the biggest difference. HAL made me feel like a real guest. On Princess I was made to feel like I am bothering them. HAL is just a step above Princess in my opinion.

Oh and the beds. So much more comfortable on HAL. Princess beds are like concrete.

Oh and the beds. So much more comfortable on HAL. Princess beds are like concrete.
No longer an issue or true. Princess now has really nice pillow-top mattresses with firm support underneath. IMHO, far better than HAL mattresses which have always cause my sciatica to flare up because they were too soft with no support. :) My friend with whom I've traveled a lot and hated the Princess beds with a passion acknowledged last week that her bed was very comfortable.

No longer an issue or true. Princess now has really nice pillow-top mattresses with firm support underneath. IMHO, far better than HAL mattresses which have always cause my sciatica to flare up because they were too soft with no support. :) My friend with whom I've traveled a lot and hated the Princess beds with a passion acknowledged last week that her bed was very comfortable.

I had read that Princess is slowly changing the beds over as the old ones wear out. Based on recent posts some people had them, some didn't.

So has Princess now switched to pillow-top mattresses in all cabins on all ships?????

I really enjoyed HAL much more than Princess. My lobster tail on HAL was of normal size....not the tiny tiny ones you get on Princess. I found service to be the biggest difference. HAL made me feel like a real guest. On Princess I was made to feel like I am bothering them. HAL is just a step above Princess in my opinion.

Well, that's your opinion, and you are, of course entitled to it. I, though, found service on the couple of HAL cruises I took to sometimes be off-puttingly obsequious. I really don't wish to discuss the previous day's activities with Stewart; he's there to straighten my cabin, not be my pal. Though not every single request I've made on Princess was immediately responded to, I never, ever was made to feel like I was "bothering" anyone.

And, like others, I sleep on a firm mattress at home and have found Princess mattresses comfy and back-friendly. Looking forward to the pillow-tops, though.

In any case, I believe the OP was asking about cabins, not lobster tails.

I had a VA "Superior Verandah" on the Oosterdam and Zuiderdam and would say that this cabin is very similar to a Princess mini-suite plus if you can snag one of the aft balconies on deck 5, they have a huge covered balcony. They don't have as much storage as a Princess mini-suite, though:

Cabin%25205184.jpg

Sitting%2520Area.jpg

Cabin%25205184%2520Balcony.jpg

Joanie, a frequent poster on the HAL boards, has put together an absolutely awesome website with the pro's and con's of just about every cabin on every HAL ship, with photos and reviews: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/

Thanks Pam. That was what I was looking for. I've sailed Princess minis a few times but wasn't sure which category on HAL was comparable. I couldn't really tell from their website. I appreciate the pictures. It does appear that HAL's comparable cabins might be a bit more expensive than what I've paid for Princess' minis.

Still trying to decide what I want to do for my next cruise. I'm also looking at the Royal's TA but not sure about an 18 day cruise. Longest I've done is 10 days.

Thanks, too, to everyone else for your thoughts.

Well, that's your opinion, and you are, of course entitled to it. I, though, found service on the couple of HAL cruises I took to sometimes be off-puttingly obsequious. I really don't wish to discuss the previous day's activities with Stewart; he's there to straighten my cabin, not be my pal. Though not every single request I've made on Princess was immediately responded to, I never, ever was made to feel like I was "bothering" anyone.

And, like others, I sleep on a firm mattress at home and have found Princess mattresses comfy and back-friendly. Looking forward to the pillow-tops, though.

In any case, I believe the OP was asking about cabins, not lobster tails.

I didn't know cheerleaders were so mean. I was just trying to be helpful to the OP as he asked the likes/dislikes of either HAL or Princess.

Perhaps the OP likes lobster tails?

Pam,

:confused:Have ALL ships received the new pillow-top mattresses? Just wondered if Grand Princess has the new mattresses.

BTW..Thanks for the HAL photos. :D

Pam,

:confused:Have ALL ships received the new pillow-top mattresses? Just wondered if Grand Princess has the new mattresses.

BTW..Thanks for the HAL photos. :D

I don't know about all but quite a few have been. I was just on the Star and all cabins had been upgraded to pillow-tops. You might want to check a recent Grand roll call and ask whether the beds had been upgraded. Many people get the email alerts to new messages and respond or perhaps someone who has just been on the Grand knows and can post here.

I didn't know cheerleaders were so mean. I was just trying to be helpful to the OP as he asked the likes/dislikes of either HAL or Princess.

Perhaps the OP likes lobster tails?

I believe the OP was asking about cabins AND likes /dislikes of either company. Umbarger I think you were being helpful and that is what this site is all about:) You were asked for your opinion and you gave it;)

Happy cruising!

Reader

I don't know about all but quite a few have been. I was just on the Star and all cabins had been upgraded to pillow-tops. You might want to check a recent Grand roll call and ask whether the beds had been upgraded. Many people get the email alerts to new messages and respond or perhaps someone who has just been on the Grand knows and can post here.

Thanks Pam for the info on the Star. My DD is going on the Star to Alaska in May. She will be happy to hear this news.

Good suggestion about checking a roll call on the Grand.

Archived