What shoes for kids?

ExpatKat

Ok, I just noticed that on the NCL Kids Club Dailies it says "proper footwear, no sandals or flip-flops please". So, what do kids wear on their feet? Are Crocs okay? Please help! I'm literally in the midst of packing for my DS's (6) first cruise - we fly out on Tuesday, and if I have to take him shoe shopping between now and then... :eek:

I've got leather shoes packed for with his dressier clothes, water shoes for some of the excursions and Crocs for pretty much everything else (he lives in Crocs when the weather is warm here).

Thanks,

Kat

I believe that they are looking for tennis/athletic shoes. My DD only wears flip flops and sandels in the summer but we have been making her were her tennis shoes a little each day to get used to them. I am not sure if crocs will work since they slip off easily.

My son always wears flip-flops or crocs and has never been told he couldn't even though it says it's not allowed.

Most of the time ( past 3 cruises on NCL) they take their shoes off as soon as they enter the Kid's Club area.

Ok, I just noticed that on the NCL Kids Club Dailies it says "proper footwear, no sandals or flip-flops please". So, what do kids wear on their feet? Are Crocs okay? Please help! I'm literally in the midst of packing for my DS's (6) first cruise - we fly out on Tuesday, and if I have to take him shoe shopping between now and then... :eek:

I've got leather shoes packed for with his dressier clothes, water shoes for some of the excursions and Crocs for pretty much everything else (he lives in Crocs when the weather is warm here).

Thanks,

Kat

This is the rule at almost every day care facility. Crocs are okay if your kid will keep them on his feet and not take them off. I know some daycares (normal ones, not on ship) do not like crocs because items (sticks and stuff for daycares with outdoor palygrounds) can still poke through the holes in crocs. The whole point of proper footwear is for your kids feet to be protected when stepped on by another kid, stumble, trips, thrown blocks, etc. If you do not send them in proper footwear and they end up with a foot injury, that is on the parents.

My boys have gone in crocks in a pinch, but usually wear running shoes. If you're stuck for shoes, you can always have them bring home their school shoes and return them after your trip.

The kids take off their shoes to go into kids club, but if they go up to the sports court, the athletic type shoes become important.

My daughter will bring slip on shoes that work well for school. Sometimes she might also bring athletic shoes but the type with velcro as she hates tying laces. One pair of sandals for wearing on deck or with her dresses if she feels like it.

I can certainly understand the rule for closed shoes that'll stay on. And that's what they need for school anyway (and no wheelies).

Thank you everyone!

It looks like I'm going shoe shopping... (sigh)

My son wears black leather shoes to school, and has a pair of runners that are exclusively for gym class and after-school football (soccer). His other closed toe shoes are much too dark & heavy to wear with shorts.

Now the question is, what to buy? If we were in Canada/the US, I would just go to Wal-Mart/Target/Payless and get some cheap slip-on shoes - but I've yet to find anything like that here! Well, espadrilles, but they aren't much in evidence this time of the year unless you go to a specialty shop!

I guess I'll head to the shops and see what I can find. We may end up with either more robust sport style sandals (he's been able to wear this type of thing to both school & daycare in the past so it should be okay) or boat shoes, because if I'm going to spend 30 or 40 euros then it needs to be on something he'll continue to wear after the cruise! There's no point in buying another pair of running shoes - he'd rather not wear socks & I'd rather he not wear running shoes with shorts unless he's doing sports! I know, everyone does it, but I personally just don't like putting him in cute plaid shorts with a polo shirt and then throwing socks and running shoes on. I guess I could put him in sports clothes whenever he goes to kids club, but I hadn't really planned on packing anything like that.

Anyway, thanks again for your help! Sorry for my rambling - I'm more thinking out loud than anything. :o

Kat

I attended summer camp for 10 years and worked there for two--we allowed the kids to wear crocs and keens, as long as they had the close toe. I think either of these should be fine. I haven't sailed NCL, but my niece (2 then, now 4) never had a problem with Crocs on CCL.

Thank you everyone!

I'd rather he not wear running shoes with shorts unless he's doing sports! I know, everyone does it, but I personally just don't like putting him in cute plaid shorts with a polo shirt and then throwing socks and running shoes on. I guess I could put him in sports clothes whenever he goes to kids club, but I hadn't really planned on packing anything like that.

Anyway, thanks again for your help! Sorry for my rambling - I'm more thinking out loud than anything. :o

Kat

My DD hates wearing tennis shoes with her shorts and capris. She lives in sandals and cute flip flops in summer. She is used to the rule because of her day care, but normally she wears jeans to daycare so the tennis shoes are okay with her then.

I hope you found something suitable!

My daughter lives in Keen sandals in the summer, and waterproof Keen hiking type shoes in winter.

Personally, I have NOT found Crocs to be "non-slip", I've had some bad slip/falls in them myself, as has my daughter, all on wet surfaces - we no longer wear them and I would NEVER choose wear them on possibly wet cruise ship decks.

• 2 weeks later...

I will also chime in on the Keens. Worth the money!!! Check your local thrift stores too. I have found them there also.

We went on Freedom of the Seas RCI. I will say in hindsight-pack tennis shoes and let your child wear them to dinner if they have to. I didnt pack tennis shoes for DS and there was a dodgeball tournement right after dinner.

DS wears Crocs all the time, but Crocs are not good for Dodgeball.

I would take:Crocs, if they wear them, tennis shoes, water shoes (like keens) that they will wear at the beach in in the water, and their dress shoes. Yuck-4 pairs!

Archived