Viking River Cruises Scam

mutuelmanager1

Foreign Transaction fees......I put a deposit on a cruise and low and behold I was charged 3 % ...$30.00 for a $1000 deposit, since they process payments in Chile.....it showed up on my credit card, I called the credit card company and they did remove it, but then I called Viking to complain, they say you have to file a claim with them or your agent to get the money back, I told Viking that this seems to be a scam, and that most people wouldnt even catch it, so beware and check your statements !

Foreign Transaction fees......I put a deposit on a cruise and low and behold I was charged 3 % ...$30.00 for a $1000 deposit, since they process payments in Chile.....it showed up on my credit card, I called the credit card company and they did remove it, but then I called Viking to complain, they say you have to file a claim with them or your agent to get the money back, I told Viking that this seems to be a scam, and that most people wouldnt even catch it, so beware and check your statements !

Oceania used to have the same practice (Ireland) and always refunded the charges. They are from your credit card company and not from the cruise line.

It is the credit card company that charged the fee, not Viking. They do not get any part of that. That is why we use a Capital One card as they do not charge any foreign transaction fees. It is not Vikings responsibility to inform you of your credit card policies.

Cheers,

I understand that, but viking is an american company using a offshore bank, they still have an obligation to tell you its a foreign transaction, Im sure many customers have unknowingly paid this fee. They could least in- form customers that they may be charged a fee by their credit card company, and that their policy is to refund the fee...........:),

I wouldn't call it a scam, however, it does seem to be a choice by Viking that is insensitive to their US customers. As a business, Viking has to select a credit card processor to handle payments to them. Most US based cruise lines choose one based in the US, that does NOT charge the cruiser a foreign transaction fee. Viking, for whatever reasons they felt best, chose a processor that is NOT in the USA, and therefore exposes the cruiser to a foreign transaction fee (even though the transaction is processed in US dollars and no currency conversion is necessary).

Since Vikings choice of a credit card processor has cost YOU money, I would call them at their customer service number, 1-877-523-0549, and tell them how much you were charged to do business with them because of their choice, and that you expect to be reimbursed by them.

Just be firm, but polite (after all, the folks on the phone DON"T make policy, they just try to fix problems).

If you are still torqued after getting your foreign transaction fee refunded by Viking, I'd suggest you write Torsten Hagen, the Chairman of Viking Cruise Lines and express your concerns. It is his job to weigh the financial benefits of the credit card processing/bank relationship with the customer service pain that exists. He is a very astute individual with a MBA from Harvard, and I assure you, he will take all feedback under advisement to achieve the optimal solution for both Viking and his guests.

We had that happen on our first cruise and all I had to do was fax the statement with the charge to the Viking accounting department and it was refunded to me. Our credit card now does not charge for foreign transactions. No big deal. Viking will take care of it.

way. I am sure they don't have to tell you what bank they use. Right, Oceania was formerly this way and another cruise line as well. I think it was Regent. The other poster was right, use Capital One or the real American Express, not one issued by another bank. They do not charge FTF's. And other posters were right, just call Viking and they will refund the money to you. It is your responsibility to check your bank card to see if they charge these fees.

thanks for all the input, did get charges removed by cc company, I then called viking to tell them they were removed, they did say they would refund with a copy of the statement, the agent at Viking agreed with me, that when you book , they should caution you about this problem. I also booked a cruise with Uniworld and there were no fees.

Thanks , have a great day !

Booking a cruise with Viking gets you an undisclosed charge of $30 that you were not informed about.

I don't know, but I would guess that Viking gets a kickback from the credit card processing company in Chile - which is why they do it.

Might not seem like a scam to you but it sure does to me.

Why should I have to go to the hassle of documenting a charge to get it removed when it should never have been there to begin with? And no, I don't want or need a Capitol one or AMEX.

If Viking disclosed the charge ahead of time, it would be a different story.

I would like to thank the original poster for the thread, and warning others that Viking will try to pop their credit card for 3%.

It is not a scam. Some credit cards charge foreign transaction fees for any charge made outside the US. Capitol one does not and now Navy Federal Credit Union doesn't. But that is the fact. There is no kickback to Viking--the credit card company keeps the charge.

a

It is not a scam..

Sure it is, they're getting 3% without warning you.

.. There is no kickback to Viking--the credit card company keeps the charge.
Umm, you think credit card charges to the vendor are not negotiable?

So, they picked a credit card processor out of Chile?

That's interesting, they don't seem to operate cruises there, or have offices there. Course, I guess Chile is really moving up as a real center of international commerce.

Processing credit charges thru Chile, in itself makes this a little weird. I guess maybe it happens, but I have never had any purchase of any sort run my credit card through a processor in Chile. I've been using a variety of credit cards for decades and somehow that just hasn't happened to me yet.

You can say it's not a scam all you want, I will continue to think it is a scam.

Sorry, but hitting the purchaser for 3% without warning is a scam by my definition.

Triodes - I completely agree with you. Like I (or any other customer) who books with viking or any other supposedly "American Company" or one with offices in the U.S., how would we be expected to know or even guess that their/our credit card transaction are going to be proceesed through a bank in Swaziland, or Uzbekestan, or Chile?! It might not be technically "illegal" or an actual "scam", using the traditional definition - but I wouldn't call it exactly "normal" - either. I think most of us would be surprised if we bought underwear at our local Walmart with a credit card and got hit with a "foreign transaction" charge because it was processed through a bank in.....Switzerland! Before we swipe our credit card at a Mobil gasoline pumpe, do we need to go up to the counter and ask the clerk if the transaction is going to be processed in New Zealand? If nothing else, Viking should be tuned in to potentially adverse perceptions like this from their customers - before they even arrive on the boat and Viking shouldn't do things that cause ill-feelings like this. Right or wrong - it's now aready out their on this website. Haven't they had enough "bad press" in the past 6 months on this site?? Regards

I just got 2 charges on my Bank of America Visa card for foreign transaction. Booked through AAA for Viking River cruise. I called the card company and they said they couldn't do anything about the charges. Now trying to get hold of travel agent so will let you know the result.

It is your responsibility to know about Foreign Exchange Charges.

Sure. I agree with that part.

I also believe that someone who advertises on my local channel should also warn me if they are processing my card thru Chile and that foreign Exchange charges may apply.

The scam here is not that there is a charge, but that consumers are not being informed that their credit card will be processed in Chile and that they may incur a foreign exchange card.

Further, I'm not real sure that I want my credit card info being processed by someone in Chile. It's not like Chile is a center for internet and system security. There have been far too many credit card data breaches IMO.

Further, I'm not real sure that I want my credit card info being processed by someone in Chile. It's not like Chile is a center for internet and system security.

From

http://techie-buzz.com/featured/biggest-data-thefts-hacking.html

The Biggest Data Thefts in the Past Five Years

In May 2007, Chilean government servers were hacked, and identity card numbers, names, and addresses of 6 million people were posted on public forums. The hacker claimed that his intention was to highlight the lackluster security infrastructure.

I just got 2 charges on my Bank of America Visa card for foreign transaction. Booked through AAA for Viking River cruise. I called the card company and they said they couldn't do anything about the charges. Now trying to get hold of travel agent so will let you know the result.

AAA is taking the charge off my credit card. I had to send them copy of statement and they are sending it to Viking Cruise Line.

Well Im glad you caught that charge and Im glad most people agree with me that this is not a good practice by Viking ! You always have to be on your toes these days !

we are booked on the uniworld antionette april 21st 2013 and Viking ageir on November 30th 2013, ready to try something new after 70 + cruises:)

Mutuelmanager1 - Greetings from onboard the Avalon Imagery. Yesterday, we were heading south on the Rhine and pulled into Rudesheim for a 4 hour port visit. The Uniworld Antoinette was already tied up at the pier for a visit and the Imagery tied up (outboard) the Antoinette. The ship looks very new and in very good shape. The Imagery passengers had to pass through the Quarterdeck (main entryway) of the Antoinette to get over to pier. Even though it was just a brief encounter, the Antoinette (Swiss registry) looked very elegant with a large chandilier hanging from the ceiling and very ornate furniture in the lobby area. We could only see through the windows into the dining area but it all looked very nice. Some of the passengers were up on the sky deck in lounge chairs enjoying an afternoon drink. We're all encountering abnormally warm and sunny weather in this part of Europe at the moment and all the trees, grass, and fields along the Rhine are already turning green. I know you'll have a great trip in a few weeks onboard the Antoinette. Regards to all.

I can't pay my TA for anything for any amount with my credit card unless I pay the commission. It's life for some of us. It's how it is, you use that service, you pay the commission where I am.

I personally think it's a bit harsh to call it a scam.

.. It's life for some of us. It's how it is, you use that service, you pay...

I think the problem and the complaint that cause people to call it a scam are the fact that they are not informed ahead of time that there will be such a charge.

Viking advertises on my local TV channel. Incurring a foreign transaction charge on something advertised in my area without being informed of a likely #3% foreign transaction charge, IMO is a scam.

I just booked Holland America, for approximately the same amount as some posters who have had complaints about viking bookings. 3% would have only been a little less than the cost of insurance. No foreign transaction fee will be charged. I asked the agent if they did something like that ( process the card through Chile ) and he laughed.

If you tell customers ahead of time about it, I have no complaint, and don't see it as a problem or issue. However, it appears they do not inform customers.

Hard for me to believe people would expect the credit card charges to be processed thru Chile.

Archived