HAL Headquarters Building

sail7seas

Hi Bob

Did you ever get to Cunard's HQ when they were still at 5 Av and 45 St in NY?

I stopped by a few times, and remember the big model of QE2 in the reception area. Fond memories of walking by that building. :)

Walked by several times, but never entered. Alas, back then I wasn't the ship fan I am now....

Hi Bob

Did you ever get to Cunard's HQ when they were still at 5 Av and 45 St in NY?

I stopped by a few times, and remember the big model of QE2 in the reception area. Fond memories of walking by that building. :)

I remember that location! I picked up my tickets for my first QE2 voyage there. Then I walked across the street to pick up my plane tickets at the British Airways office. This was many many many years ago, when such things were done on the phone and/or in person. I was working in NYC at the time, and thought it was so cool to be able to walk in and ask for my tickets!

HAL used to sail from Pier 40 in Manhattan (at the foot of W Houston St). It has been rehabbed as a sports complex with a bunch of soccer fields on the roof. But if you go in at the street level, you're in the lobby where passengers entered. The HAL logo is still in the floor, and there are some tile/mosaics on the wall with HAL ships and, IIRC, a map. The level below is now a parking garage. If you go down there, you can see the doors that opened to allow luggage and supplies to be loaded. We even saw a few of the luggage-finder numbers still hanging from the ceiling.

I remember that location! I picked up my tickets for my first QE2 voyage there. Then I walked across the street to pick up my plane tickets at the British Airways office. This was many many many years ago, when such things were done on the phone and/or in person. I was working in NYC at the time, and thought it was so cool to be able to walk in and ask for my tickets!

HAL used to sail from Pier 40 in Manhattan (at the foot of W Houston St). It has been rehabbed as a sports complex with a bunch of soccer fields on the roof. But if you go in at the street level, you're in the lobby where passengers entered. The HAL logo is still in the floor, and there are some tile/mosaics on the wall with HAL ships and, IIRC, a map. The level below is now a parking garage. If you go down there, you can see the doors that opened to allow luggage and supplies to be loaded. We even saw a few of the luggage-finder numbers still hanging from the ceiling.

Cool. I'll have to slip on down there, and check it out.....:cool:

Archived