sea sick on the Kenai Fjords?

WASUP

I have read that there is a good chance that the sea sickness bug will hit on the Kenai Fjords, as there is an opne area of possibly rough waters.

Can anyone tell me what they did for the sea sickness? I got sea sick when we drift, if the motor is running and we are not drifting I am fine. So, do they shut down the engines or are they constantly moving?

I have heard of taking Bromine and Dramamine, any other suggestions that helped?

Thanks

Yes you've heard right.......it does get rough out in the open water. The boat will stop and drift for wildlife viewing from time to time. I'm not usually prone to seasickness but I was very sick on this trip with Kenai Tours two years ago, I didn't prepare by taking something because it's not a problem for me usually. I will be going again on 5/25 but will be going with Major Marine tours, just for a change. I will take Dramamine this time just to be safe, the tour is too wonderful to risk getting sick again. The two meds that you mentioned work well but be sure to take the dose an hour or two before you set sail. You may also want to ask your Doctor for the "patch", worn behind your ear and it's good for a few days at a time.

I see sick passengers EVERY trip. And many time the ones who said at the dock- they never get sick. :) Bonine is a good long acting product, great for these boat tours, draminine- the regular acting- has a nasty side effect of significant drowsiness, so, consult your MD if you have questions. Long acting draminine is the same as Bonine. Over the counter.

Since you get sick drifting- what about the cruise?? I've seen Plenty of sick passengers there too. NO guarantees of smooth sailing, and I've encountered some very rough sailing. If prone to seasickness- it may be a good idea to be on something the entire sailing then you are already covered on the Kenai Fjords. This is no place to risk illness, time is short. :)

I am on boats about 100 days a year, and occasionally out in the Gulf of Alaska in winter, with seas sometimes 20+ feet. I don't recommend the patch, as you will probably suffer dry, cotton mouth and very dry sinuses. You have to apply it a few days in advance and are not supposed to take it off if you get side effects. Marezine (cyclizine) is supposed to be very good, and is often recommended. You can buy it thru drugstore.com. Bonine and non-drowsy dramamine (meclizine) are also good. In rough seas, I start with 1/4 tablet and wait a bit. If I still feel nauseous, I take another 1/4. I rarely take more than 1/2 tablet, as they make me sleepy (even the non-drowsy). I never take regular dramamine and don't recommend it unless you want to sleep thru a very expensive tour.

BTW, the last time I was out on a Kenai Fjords tour, we turned back right outside Resurrection Bay, as the seas were over 8 feet, we were on one of the smaller boats, and I think the crew had visions of a massive cleanup effort if we continued. If the weather is really bad, they'll usually make alternate plans or turn back.

I also use Sea-bands, the wrist band that applies pressure to your wrist. I got them at WalMart, you don't need a prescription, but I did have to ask the pharmacist for them. I don't recommend the patch. I have not used it, but have heard of bad results from people who did (although I am sure it worked great for some). Ginger is supposed to help, and you can buy pills, or just have ginger ale on hand. I heard, but have not confirmed this, that if you start taking Dramamine a few days before you go, your body will adjust and it won't make you sleepy, or as sleepy anyway.

Liza123

I intend to print this page, as the suggestions are great...I am not prone to any sea sickness on the cruise ship, I have been on many, in rough waters..I am just so scared of drifting and that circumstance did cause me sigificant sea sickness. We are going on Major Marine on 5-23!! I cannot wait and willnot let the possibility of sea sickness get me, so I am delighted with some of the suggestions..

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Got sea sick one time on this trip so now I just automatically take Dramaine. Better safe then sorry. Just came off the 4/23 sailing of the Jewel and never had a problem on the ship.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived