Santa Monica to Orange Empire Railroad Museum

tip

We shall be staying in Santa Moncia for four nights post cruise and renting an automobile. Since I am a train/trolley buff, we are looking at visiting the Orange Empire Railroad Museum in Perris. I have called it up on Mapquest and recognize that this is quite a drive and it will be our only "event" of the day. Are we better off to take Interstate 15 or California State Route 60? Is Route 60 a limited access highway?

Also, is Perris considered a safe area? We no doubt will be stopping someplace for a sandwich. Any recommendations as to where we should stop or for that matter stay away from during our visit with safety being a concern.

We are from the east coast and this is our second cruise visit to LA. We enjoyed our trip two years ago thanks to the many tips from Cruise Critic, especially those from Bruin Steve and Cruisin' Chick. Thanks again guys!

Yep--that is quite a drive. But a family member that is a train buff thinks it is a great museum.

The road off the I-15 to Perris (almost to the I-215) not a major highway. Looking at the recommended directions from Google maps, you would take the I-10 (which is the Santa Monica Freeway at your start) to the 60 (which if it has a name, I don't know it) to the I-215. It is almost 90 miles and could take two plus hours as you have to drive through downtown LA to get there.

To avoid downtown, you could take the 10 to the 405 S to the 105 to the 5 to the 91 (part of the 91 offers a toll road to avoid traffic, but you should be going against the commute, so it shouldn't be a major issue) to the 215. But don't know if the extra miles might negative any time savings or you could take the 91 to the 15 and take the highway from the 15 to Perris.

Sounds like you will be eligible for the car pool, so that will be a help.

I am not aware of Perris being a bad area--but I am not really knowledgable of the area. Usually the daytime isn't too bad anywhere.

PS--looked at the website and it is only open on the weekend. You probably then want to take the 10/60/215 route. The 91 can be ugly both directions on the week as apparently everyone on the west side of the mountains want to go east and vice versa.

Yep--that is quite a drive. But a family member that is a train buff thinks it is a great museum.

The road off the I-15 to Perris (almost to the I-215) not a major highway. Looking at the recommended directions from Google maps, you would take the I-10 (which is the Santa Monica Freeway at your start) to the 60 (which if it has a name, I don't know it) to the I-215. It is almost 90 miles and could take two plus hours as you have to drive through downtown LA to get there.

To avoid downtown, you could take the 10 to the 405 S to the 105 to the 5 to the 91 (part of the 91 offers a toll road to avoid traffic, but you should be going against the commute, so it shouldn't be a major issue) to the 215. But don't know if the extra miles might negative any time savings or you could take the 91 to the 15 and take the highway from the 15 to Perris.

Sounds like you will be eligible for the car pool, so that will be a help.

I am not aware of Perris being a bad area--but I am not really knowledgable of the area. Usually the daytime isn't too bad anywhere.

PS--looked at the website and it is only open on the weekend. You probably then want to take the 10/60/215 route. The 91 can be ugly both directions on the week as apparently everyone on the west side of the mountains want to go east and vice versa.

Thanks for the advice. We shall be making the drive on a Sunday, thus commuters should not be an issue, just Sunday drivers!;)

Is the "60" a limited access highway (i.e. no traffic lights every 100 yards)?

Is the "60" a limited access highway (i.e. no traffic lights every 100 yards)?

Sorry--I thought you meant was it a toll road. The 60 is a major freeway--probably 3 to 4 lanes each direction, no traffic signals. It is part of the CA highway system, not part of the national interstate system.

I've been to the Museum. Perris is safe, however it's a smaller agricultural city...real estate development was starting to reach the area when the "bust" hit the area hard. Restaurants tend to be either "mom and pop" places, or truck stops along the Interstate. The old downtown has some Mexican restaurants that look good, but I've never tried them. There are the usual collection of fast food and chain restaurants along the entire route, but the choices thin out once you're on I-215.

The route from SM to Perris is freeway the entire distance. I recommend the 60 Freeway over I-10...arguably a bit more scenic, fewer big rigs, and easier to navigate. Exit I-215 at "N Street", which will take you through downtown Perris. For variety, consider going home Route 74 (a 2-lane highway) over to I-15; take I-15 north to Corona then Route 91 west.

FYI there is a Pacific Electric Red Car that operates along the waterfront in San Pedro. On the way to Perris there's an air museum at March AFB adjacent to I-215: http://www.marchfield.org/ Allow 60 minutes for a quick visit and 2-3 hours if you're really interested in military aircraft.

Thank you to all for your responses and valuable advice. While we may indeed visit the other venues, we really are looking forward to the Orange Empire Railroad Museum as it has rides on full sized equipment. I am a trian and trolley buff and serve as a motorman (trolley operator) at both the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine and at the Lowell (MA) National Historical Park.

As FYI, here's info on the Red Car that operates along the San Pedro waterfront: http://www.sanpedro.com/sp_point/troly.htm

Sounds like you're savvy on the interurban system that used to cover the entire LA area. If you want to learn more, google "Pacific Electric". Short version- the system was put out of business by the automakers as the freeway system grew in the 50's. LA has been working for the past 10-15 years to re-establish a railway system. Since automobiles promote sprawl that doesn't follow corridors, it's difficult to provide good geographical coverage with a rail system.

Enjoy the Museum!

As FYI, here's info on the Red Car that operates along the San Pedro waterfront: http://www.sanpedro.com/sp_point/troly.htm

Sounds like you're savvy on the interurban system that used to cover the entire LA area. If you want to learn more, google "Pacific Electric". Short version- the system was put out of business by the automakers as the freeway system grew in the 50's. LA has been working for the past 10-15 years to re-establish a railway system. Since automobiles promote sprawl that doesn't follow corridors, it's difficult to provide good geographical coverage with a rail system.

Enjoy the Museum!

Thanks. We are planning to ride the "Red Car" during our stay. I didn't even know that it existed until we took a cruise out of San Pedro two years ago. We saw it from the ship which we already had boarded and "The One Who Must Be Obeyed" wouldn't let me off the ship because she thought that I would miss the ship due to being too enthrolled with the trolley!:D

Even closer is the Lomita Railroad museum

http://lomita-rr.org/

Neither Lomita, nor Travel Town, nor LA County Fairgrounds offer rides on historical equipment like OERM does (aside from the little Live Steamers at Travel Town). Their displays are all "stuffed and mounted" The PE recreation in San Pedro is good, but is using replica equipment, if memory serves.

From a railfan/traction fan point of view, that is a very good reason to venture out to Perris on a weekend when OERM is running, as they don't operate on weekdays.

BTW, Tip, if you are ever in the Bay Area, you have to go out to Western Railway Museum at Rio Vista Jct. Best museum I've been to, and a good, long electrified mainline to ride.

Had to look on google maps for Perris as it sounded familiar. It's on the way to Hemet, a town that I've traveled to quite a few times between 1978 and 1983 as a former bf's father had a farm there. That's probably the best route, but I haven't been back that way in years. Didn't know about the train museum.

Have you ever heard of this one: http://www.fwry.com/ It's in Ventura county, and it sounds like it might be a fun trip to take sometime.

Also, someone who used to work for my hubby some 13-14 years ago, retired and self-published a book of photographs of various railroad locations then and now. Don't know if the book is still available.

Neither Lomita, nor Travel Town, nor LA County Fairgrounds offer rides on historical equipment like OERM does (aside from the little Live Steamers at Travel Town). Their displays are all "stuffed and mounted" The PE recreation in San Pedro is good, but is using replica equipment, if memory serves.

From a railfan/traction fan point of view, that is a very good reason to venture out to Perris on a weekend when OERM is running, as they don't operate on weekdays.

BTW, Tip, if you are ever in the Bay Area, you have to go out to Western Railway Museum at Rio Vista Jct. Best museum I've been to, and a good, long electrified mainline to ride.

I have checked out all of the above and that is why we are going to the Orange Empire on a Sunday, the rides on historic equipment. You are indeed correct about the trolley in San Pedro, it is on reproduction equipment, but it is close to where we will be staying. Although "The One Who Must Be Obeyed" has been to the Bay Area, I never have, but it is on my "bucket list". I just happened to be surfing the net over the weekend for trolley and railroad museums and came across the Western Railway Museum. This will give us just another reason to travel to the west coast in the future! Thanks for your suggestions and information.

Had to look on google maps for Perris as it sounded familiar. It's on the way to Hemet' date=' a town that I've traveled to quite a few times between 1978 and 1983 as a former bf's father had a farm there. That's probably the best route, but I haven't been back that way in years. Didn't know about the train museum.

Have you ever heard of this one: http://www.fwry.com/ It's in Ventura county, and it sounds like it might be a fun trip to take sometime.

Also, someone who used to work for my hubby some 13-14 years ago, retired and self-published a book of photographs of various railroad

locations then and now. Don't know if the book is still available.[/quote']

Thank you Cruisin' Chick. We can always count on you to provide us with good information!

I haven't been to Riverside in a long time, so I can't help you with a sandwich out that way (maybe ask for food advice at the museum.) But you could take the 215 from Perris to the Mission Inn in Riverside. There are several restaurants there, though they can be pricey. And there's always the Old Spaghetti Factory in Riverside, they have a train you can sit in while you eat, I think it's actually in an old station, it's right near the metro station.

The 60 Freeway for all those wondering is the Pomona Freeway.

I think the Mission Inn in Riverside ( http://www.missioninn.com/ ) is a great idea for lunch. It is a great old, elegant hotel and it is where Pat & Richard Nixon were married along with many So Cal couples over the years.

Archived