Seward to Whittier

ShrinkinTexas

I need your help. My family of 8 is doing 2 weeks in Alaska next summer. I am starting to plan now. We will finish up our first week in Seward and will need to get to Whittier to start our cruise. What do you think is the easiest and or least expensive way to get there. We are willing to pay a little extra for easiness. There will be 6 adults and 2 kids and TONS of luggage!! What should we do? :confused:

Not many options, taxi service is available. "Little extra"- doubtful.

Or you could train to Anchorage and backtrack back to Whittier. One way rental cars with Hertz. I would also look at sailings out of Seward, would make the best use of your time? Consider also switching around your routing- you're too early anyway for any fixed plans. :) If you go to Seward first, then north? End up in Anchorage- then transfer to the ship in Whittier, via ship bus, Alaska RR, one way Avis cars etc. :)

Was your entire time going to be on the Kenai Peninsula??

Hi BudgetQueen. I have been watching both these boards and Fodors for a while. If you're willing, I think I am really going to be needing your help for next summer.

In starting in Fairbanks (which I know some people say to not bother with, but we have friends we are going to see). Within the week, we plan to travel south and end up catching a Princess cruise out of Whittier. I have been told that Princess just does a better job than the others when it comes to Alaska.

Originally, I had planned to go from Anchorage to Whittier, but many people said that I really needed to go the the Kenai Fjords in Seward, so we are planning a day/night combo there. The thought of back tracking to Anchorage to then get to Whittier doesn't sound great, but if that's what we need to do..........how far of a drive/train ride is it between Anchorage and Seward?

Hi BudgetQueen. I have been watching both these boards and Fodors for a while. If you're willing, I think I am really going to be needing your help for next summer.

In starting in Fairbanks (which I know some people say to not bother with, but we have friends we are going to see). Within the week, we plan to travel south and end up catching a Princess cruise out of Whittier. I have been told that Princess just does a better job than the others when it comes to Alaska.

Based on my experience I totally disagree that Princess does a better job. Are you going independent on the land portion? One way Fairbanks/Anchorage is very costly with a rental car and limited on the train. Research fully and determine what your priorities are?

Originally, I had planned to go from Anchorage to Whittier, but many people said that I really needed to go the the Kenai Fjords in Seward, so we are planning a day/night combo there. The thought of back tracking to Anchorage to then get to Whittier doesn't sound great, but if that's what we need to do..........how far of a drive/train ride is it between Anchorage and Seward?

Yes "many people" will tell you to go to Seward but you need TIME when touring Alaska. With only 7 days and having to be back to Whittier- you may be better off renting a one way Anchorage Whittier car, then going stright from Seward to Whittier. It is a 4 hour train ride Seward/Anchorage a 3 hour drive. About 1 1/4 hour Anchorage /Whittier plus tunnel time if you have to wait.

I need your help. My family of 8 is doing 2 weeks in Alaska next summer. I am starting to plan now. We will finish up our first week in Seward and will need to get to Whittier to start our cruise. What do you think is the easiest and or least expensive way to get there. We are willing to pay a little extra for easiness. There will be 6 adults and 2 kids and TONS of luggage!! What should we do? :confused:

Easiest would be doing cruise from Seward. :) Taxis in Seward are available 24/7.

We had the same dilemma.. how to get from Seward to Whittier. We decided on PJs Taxi (http://www.pjstaxi.com/). We have made a reservation for July to go from our hotel in Seward to Whittier to catch the ship. I'm not sure, but I think they have a van as well.

I like this choice because we can go at our own pace, stopping when we want, and seeing the "sights" along the way with someone who lives there.

Cathy

Archived