Real Life Cruising vs "Board Topic" cruising

sharecruises

some people do (try) to use the boards for :practical: info

My point is ...a LOT of the stuff you read about on here never even gets mentioned by anyone when actually on a cruise...at least I never heard it mentioned

I never had chair hog problems or care that much about what people wear

Sometimes I have seen "characters" who are dressed pretty funny but it has to be really over the top before I even notice

JMO of course

Great post! I agree. Of course you get a different group here then on board otherwise

each roll call would have 2000 plus members.:D

My favorite example of these differences is between being on a Royal Caribbean cruise and the RCI board.

On board the Mariner we met the nicest people. None had bad things to say about any other cruise line.

On the RCI board it seems you are either part of the "tribe" or not. Too many KoolAid drinkers.

Great post! I agree. Of course you get a different group here then on board otherwise

each roll call would have 2000 plus members.:D

My favorite example of these differences is between being on a Royal Caribbean cruise and the RCI board.

On board the Mariner we met the nicest people. None had bad things to say about any other cruise line.

On the RCI board it seems you are either part of the "tribe" or not. Too many KoolAid drinkers.

ROFLOL....soooo true haha

I went on my first Royal Caribbean cruise...and I was kind of surprized that NO one seemed to be obsessing about Carnival...we were in port with some Carnival ships in Grand Cayman and no "flame" wars were seen

I just had another thought...on all the Carnival cruises I have been on, NO one ever spoke about John Heald at all...never met a "blogger" or a "brand ambassdor" hater <grin>

I doubt if most even know who he is unless they sailed with him, some may remember him, some may not, just like I only remember a few cruise directors who stood out to me

There are so many things that are "super important" here but most cruisers never even think of them. I imagine some get a phone call asking them if they wish to upgrade or offer a deal...they have no idea it was the "Upsell Fairy" LOL

(and even some on this board today don't recall the days when it was the UPGRADE Fairy who put you in a better cabin when you got on board, before they computerized their inventory and hired telemarketers to make the Upsell calls LOL)

I have been on a number of cruises and cruise lines...and I never saw people so obsessed with :

decorating the cabin/balcony

worrying about what other people wear on board, in dining room

chair hogs (I have never had a problem with this since I have no desire

to be at the main pool)

location /deck/etc of cabin...I personally have been in everything from insides to balcony, low, high, front/back etc...never worried about it, liked them all, never got seasick (knock on wood)

worrying about the personal lives of the staff, and/or thinking of what "treats" to give them (Patronizing IMHO)

I have not even found the cruiselines (mainstream) to be all that much different

Yes, I am sure there is a really low end (the 2 night ferry Celebration out of Palm Beach) and there is a high end (Cunard, Seaborne, Crystal?)

but most of the rest seem to be more alike than different

Most people I know go on cruises to have fun, go to neat places, get away.....not to nitpick

I really have NOT met many/any people who obsess about this stuff

in real life....only read about it on the boards :o

Believe me I am not "worrying" about this simple just thought it was something new that passengers where doing to show their appreciation.

I agree w/ the OP for the most part. As another post stated, we (cc Members) have way too much time on our hands. I view reading most posts as entertainment. I do not watch TV very much. I just come on here to get a few laughs. I do not care what people wear, never had a problem finding a chair, inside rm or balcony is all good to me. I did give a small gift to the crew last cruise- just because I had an over abundance of something I thought they could use. Not to smooze w/ them so to speak. But OP you are correct- the board cruise & the ral life cruise are totally different.

THanks....that is what I am trying to say...most of the times on a ship, in "real life" people would not even know what the word "chair hog" means

or even think about giving logo items to room stewards etc LOL

I know what you mean. The first time I read "chair hog" I thought they were talking about fat people.

This reminds me of when I first came on cruise critic. I had cruised with my then 19-month old child (with autism) and we had taken a DVD player with us to dinner. It worked wonderfully for us and no one cared! We had a corner table all to ourselves and the waiter seemed as entertained by Nemo as our son. I made the mistake of mentioning this on a post on cruise critic and to my surprise found out that people thought it was just horrible that I would bring my toddler on a cruise, bring a DVD player to the dining room, and somehow subject them to his cuteness. SORRY!

I quickly realized that cruise critic is not the real world. Its a fun place to visit but be careful what you say!

And BTW he is now gearing up to spend his 9th birthday on his 14th cruise. :cool:

Texaslandshark noticed your going on the same cruise that I am wanted to let you know we have a huge roll call for magic april 29th come on over to roll calls we have a meet and greet on ship:D

I know what you mean. The first time I read "chair hog" I thought they were talking about fat people.

The US has become an entitlement society, we tend to be self centered. Many of us are not socially educated and it tends to be more obvious when confined to a ship with 3000 of our closest friends. Some rules many of us have not learned, mutual respect is one of them. As a society we tend to give some groups special privileges unfortunately those who receive special privileges often do not show mutual respect.

I totally 100% agree. I have virtually never had any problems that get talked about on here. If it wasn't for the boards, I wouldn't even know about half the stuff people complain about.

I am glad I am not the only one.

Sure no matter where you go on land sea or air , you are going to come across a real winner or two, that just make you go "wow" :)

But an entire ship full of drunks throwing up , falling down having sex all over the ship.

Hundreds of kids running in packs pushing elevator buttons and stealing room service cards .

People saving the first 7 rows in the showroom.

I guess I'm just lucky :)

Oh I thought of another one...

Some of the people I cruise with have NO clue where they are going, what ship....etc...I have to remind them of the day etc:rolleyes:

One gal I cruise with got on board with me and she had her Platinium welcome papers, card and letter...and she did NOT even remember or think that this was her 10th Cruise with Carnival:eek:

Some of my friends who have cruised with me will ask me "what ship were we on Esty?" ...LOL>>>I happen to have a really good memory ...for faces, names, and yeah cruises haha

I have seen others like this....my neighbors....hubby books a cruise (they are retired and he likes the last minute ones)...wife does not know which ship or where they are going. She went to the Panama canal on Freedom with NO idea where she was going, just went down to the Port and got on. They never seem to know what to do in any port either

I know people who are surprised to hear that St Thomas, Puerto Rico are "USA". I have been to Belize various times and many of the people cruising with me think it is "an island, somewhere south":rolleyes:

Lots of people just make sure to get their vacation time in and let whoever is planning it guide them to the port on time...."which ship are we on>?"

One friend of mine was disappointed that he did not get a "Past Guest" invite to the past guest party and his card was blue/red not gold...I went down to desk with him... TURNS OUT he was not a Past guest...then he remembered....he has only cruised Royal and NCL...he is "Gold" or something on NCL LOL:eek:

I am glad I am not the only one.

Sure no matter where you go on land sea or air , you are going to come across a real winner or two, that just make you go "wow" :)

But an entire ship full of drunks throwing up , falling down having sex all over the ship.

Hundreds of kids running in packs pushing elevator buttons and stealing room service cards .

People saving the first 7 rows in the showroom.

I guess I'm just lucky :)

Seriously. I've never had any major food issues. Never had people cuts lines on me. Never had problems with people smoking on the balconies (and we always have balconies). Never had chair hog issues (we usually sit away from the pool anyway). Never had problems with kids on the elevator. No tender issues. No mean staff.

Many of the issues that people complain about on here I would never even notice.

Seriously. I've never had any major food issues. Never had people cuts lines on me. Never had problems with people smoking on the balconies (and we always have balconies). Never had chair hog issues (we usually sit away from the pool anyway). Never had problems with kids on the elevator. No tender issues. No mean staff.

Many of the issues that people complain about on here I would never even notice.

You have to wonder sometimes if these heavy duty complainers are A) just looking for something to complain about (and we all know that if you look hard enough you can alwasy find some little thing to complain about)

or B) Bring this kind of aggravation upon themselves. :)

You have to wonder sometimes if these heavy duty complainers are A) just looking for something to complain about (and we all know that if you look hard enough you can alwasy find some little thing to complain about)

or B) Bring this kind of aggravation upon themselves. :)

Maybe, manybe not. It is my belief that many of these people are given expectations by others (family, friends or coworkers) about cruising and they find out it is really not all "that". Crusing is a nice way to vacation but it is not the only way to vacation. I will still do my land based AI and dive resort vacations, just throwing in a cruise or two every few years to break up the mix.

Most of the complaints on here have little relation to reality in the sense that when you get on the ship most of these "complaints" are non-existent or non-issues. Like the whole what to wear in the dining room thing. Whatever people say on here about what they might want or what the rules are, you will see people in the dining room wearing all kinds of stuff and that's just the way it is whether you like it or not. Apparently complaining about it here is these people's only outlet for it. I think that for the people with complaints this is where they blow off steam about them because they certainly don't in person. But the internet has always been full of people who say things on bulletin boards that they would never have the guts to come up and tell you in person.

I've learned a lot by reading these boards - other wise I wouldn't have had any idea what to call all those people that leave their towels/books on deck chairs and then disappear the rest of the day - other then rude HA HA

Really I've seen the chair hogs - and the rude people that jump in front of my father for the elevator when he actually needs to use it as he is in a wheel chair - but have I ever had a bad cruise because of that NOPE!!! Just go with the flow

The US has become an entitlement society, we tend to be self centered. Many of us are not socially educated and it tends to be more obvious when confined to a ship with 3000 of our closest friends. Some rules many of us have not learned, mutual respect is one of them. As a society we tend to give some groups special privileges unfortunately those who receive special privileges often do not show mutual respect.
Not sure what your point is regarding this thread. I suspect you don't agree with the OP's view

that people on CC care more about these "important issues" then do the vast majority of people actually on the ships.

Forgive me if I am wrong but you sound like someone who is looking for things to be annoyed at.

Sure many are not adept at the social niceties. So what. Getting annoyed will only spoil your cruise not theirs.

Archived