iPad and explorer

sr5242

Ok, I'm a novice with electronics. I have an iPad and an iphone, and was hoping someone who could explain to me, in very simple terms, how to use them at sea on the explorer to surf the net, but how to avoid roaming charges.

Thanks in advance!

I was on the Explorer in January and I had my iPhone and Blackberry Playbook with me.

I purchased an internet package but besides that, I believe the only way you can access the internet at no cost is when you are in port. When we stopped in San Juan, I went to Senor Frogs and was able to get access to their free wi fi.

With your iPhone, please make sure you have the data roaming feature activated. I do customer service for a major wireless company and I've seen some outrageous bills.

I was on the Explorer in January and I had my iPhone and Blackberry Playbook with me.

I purchased an internet package but besides that, I believe the only way you can access the internet at no cost is when you are in port. When we stopped in San Juan, I went to Senor Frogs and was able to get access to their free wi fi.

With your iPhone, please make sure you have the data roaming feature activated. I do customer service for a major wireless company and I've seen some outrageous bills.

I should have data active or deactivated?

...explain to me, in very simple terms, how to use them at sea on the explorer to surf the net...

You will need to use the ship's Internet; you can buy a package of minutes for the best deal. It is called WiFi, which is wireless and you can use your own laptop or iPad instead of the ship's computers. Once you get onboard, go to Customer Relations for an info sheet. You need to set up an Internet account and get a list of the "hot spots" (where the signal will be picked up). On Explorer, I don't think it is in cabins yet so you'll need to go to one of the hot spots, get comfy, and log in. They will tell you how to do all that.

Using your iPad was easy for us on Brilliance - you just need to remember to turn your WiFi OFF when you are done.

Also... ship's internet is very slow... you might get frustrated using it. You will waste a lot of minutes, so if you really don't need to be online and are just doing it becasue you are bored, it might be better to wait and take your iPad into port; often you can get a free WiFi signal at a bar or coffee house, or sometimes right inside the cruise ship terminal.

Have fun. Exlorer is fabulous. :)

Ok, I'm a novice with electronics. I have an iPad and an iphone, and was hoping someone who could explain to me, in very simple terms, how to use them at sea on the explorer to surf the net, but how to avoid roaming charges.

Turn Airplane Mode on. Airplane Mode disables all the radios, you won't return home to an unexpected large bill.

Then, you can turn WiFi back on. Use either a free, low-cost, or even the ship's WiFi. Use WiFi to surf the web or check your email. Plus you'll be able to use both devices for anything else -- except phone calls.

No need to remove the sim card or disable roaming. Airplane mode turns all the radios off -- but remember, you can then turn WiFi back on. And this is easy to test before you leave home.

If you are expecting to surf the net the same way you do at home (or at any land-based wifi hotspot), forget about it! It will be EXTREMELY slow, taking 3 or more times as long to load anything. It can take MINUTES just to log in to an email account. And of course you are paying for all these minutes, whether they move in slow motion or not.

Consider waiting until you get to a port, then find a wifi hotspot. The crew members are pretty good about knowing where they are.

If you are expecting to surf the net the same way you do at home (or at any land-based wifi hotspot), forget about it! It will be EXTREMELY slow, taking 3 or more times as long to load anything. It can take MINUTES just to log in to an email account. And of course you are paying for all these minutes, whether they move in slow motion or not.

Consider waiting until you get to a port, then find a wifi hotspot. The crew members are pretty good about knowing where they are.

Thanks to all for the gret advice. Will definitely look for hot spots on land. Maybe head to señor frogs the night we dock in Bahamas

Archived