Back-To-Back Changeover Info Venice

ducklite

We're on a B2B and our changeover day is in Venice. We are scheduled to arrive around 10:00am, coming from Croatia. All aboard is at 4:00pm that afternoon.

We already know that we don't need to change cabins, so no packing. We are coming into the small port.

Our plan is to go to Doge's Palace and then do some shopping. We know we've got a very limited amount of time, and want to use it wisely.

When we arrive, will be need to clear customs seeing as how we are coming from Croatia?

If we need to clear customs, how long does it normally take? I'd hate to end up behind 150 people with full suitcases when we'd be walking off with nothing but a camera and the items in our pockets given our very limited time...

Does anyone have experience getting from the small port to Piazza San Marco? How did you get there and how long did it take? We'd rather not spend the money on a water taxi, but if it will save us 30 minutes we might have to. Are there water taxis readily available in that port?

When we return will we have to be fully reprocessed with new room keys/ID's and such or will it all carry over from the previous cruise?

Anyone care to offer any info or tips?

Hello Ducklite, When we arrived in Venice at Stazione Marittima there was a shuttle to the terminal where our luggage was waiting for us.Obviously,you won't have luggage.Then we saw a sign for a free shuttle to Piazalle Roma and we waited for that.It was a bit of a long wait but it came and took us in to the city.I am not sure if the vaporettos run from P R,but a short walk along the canal and over the bridge will bring you to the vaporetta stop by Ferrovia (the train station).From there you can catch the no.1 vaporetto all the way to San Marco.

Sorry,but I can't help with back to back arrangements as we've never done this.

Are you taking the Secret Itinerary tour at the Doges Palace?It is well worth doing.

We are trying to do the Secret Itineraries Tour, we're just not sure if we'll have time. Google Maps shows that we should be able to walk to Piazza San Marco in about 25 minutes from the bridge from the terminal to Zaterre and then through the city. The other option might be to take a land taxi. The only tour we could possibly make is at 11:30, we're just not sure that we'd make it. What do you think?

Hmmm. Not sure about that.It could be rather tight especially if you are not off the ship promptly.There could be a delay in getting off and you would need to be at the Palace a bit before.I think I would find it a bit stressful

With not a lot of shore time if you have to be back by 4pm maybe you'd be better not committing yourselves to anything with a set time.Just soak up the atmosphere,wander around some of the smaller canals and if the queues are not too bad and there is time,then visit either the Doges Palace or the Basilica which is gorgeous.

Not getting off on time is certainly a bit of a worry. Do you know if we need to clear any customs or immigration? I don't think so as we'll be coming in from Croatia. That will save us time. Everything I've read is that a land based cab will cost about $30 and take about 10 minutes. We are willing to go that route if we are running late. That would still get us to the Palace on time even if the ship is an hour behind.

We leave Hvar, Croatia the day before at 1:00pm and sail directly to Venice. It's about 300 nautical miles and with 21 hours to do that, I suspect we might arrive earlier than later.

At this point the cruise that ends that day is only about 50% sold, so getting off should be a breeze. We don't expect to be back in Venice for close a decade or more, so we might not get another chance.

I think I'm going to book the tour and hope for the best. Worst case is that we miss it and we're out $65. There are certainly far worse things in life. :)

Why wouldn't you have to clear immigration and customs if you are coming from Croatia? Croatia is not a Schengen country.

I also would book the tour; I think you will make it. I recall getting off the ship in Venice fairly quickly.

Yes you probably will make it especially if you have the option of a land cab.I am just a bit paranoid about timings--it drives my husband crazy.

And at the end of the day,if something happens and you don't get there,you are hardly losing a fortune.

I just loved our cruise along the coast of Croatia and then sailing into Venice.You'll have a wonderful time.

Why wouldn't you have to clear immigration and customs if you are coming from Croatia? Croatia is not a Schengen country.

I also would book the tour; I think you will make it. I recall getting off the ship in Venice fairly quickly.

Ah, I didn't realize it wasn't a Schengen county.

I've gone ahead and booked, I agree that it seems we'll get in sooner rather than later. And hopefully we can be first in line to clear customs and immigration as we won't have luggage or anything. Thanks for the heads up about customs and immigration.

Archived