is pink slime used in guy's burgers?

H82seaUgo

Are there parts of the country where this is the norm? I visited 4 different stores that sell ground beef over the weekend: Sam's Club, Mars, Trader Joe's, and Safeway. Each had a sign confirming that their meat did not contain pink slime. It didn't say that it had been eliminated, so I don't know if they had suddenly changed suppliers or not, although I got the impression that it's been standard around here for awhile, if not forever.

Safeway discontinued selling pink slime.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/03/28/heres-how-pink-slime-could-affect-your-pocketbook/

If y'all are gonna get bent over "ammonia" then you better stop eating any foods containing wheat and/or soy which naturally contain high levels of ammonia.

This "pink slime" media blitz is nothing more than yet another scare tactic to freak everybody out and make us think we're gonna die. So lame.......

If y'all are gonna get bent over "ammonia" then you better stop eating any foods containing wheat and/or soy which naturally contain high levels of ammonia.

This "pink slime" media blitz is nothing more than yet another scare tactic to freak everybody out and make us think we're gonna die. So lame.......

First of all, I don't think anyone believes they are going to die from this...I think some of us would prefer not to have this in our meat. If we can get our meat without it, we would prefer to buy that and as consumers we want to KNOW.

I also don't want hormones or antibiotics in my meat...none of which are going to make me die...but I would bet everything I have that NOT having this crap in my food is healtheir for me.

It is my right to buy what I want and to know what's in it and make my choice from there.

First of all, I don't think anyone believes they are going to die from this...I think some of us would prefer not to have this in our meat. If we can get our meat without it, we would prefer to buy that and as consumers we want to KNOW.

I also don't want hormones or antibiotics in my meat...none of which are going to make me die...but I would bet everything I have that NOT having this crap in my food is healtheir for me.

It is my right to buy what I want and to know what's in it and make my choice from there.

exactly. clearly mark the stuff that has the additives, and the stuff that doesn't. then (God forbid) we can make our own decision as to which we would want our family to ingest.

but it is interesting in seeing some rally behind the extenders. seems the cool aid is in the meat department as well. maybe the cows were LITTERALLY mad about 10 years ago.

I know I've got beef in the freezer that probably contains the additive. I'll still use it, I'm not afraid of it. But going forward I would prefer to not buy it. There is a lot of education we could all get about our food supply. Just the different grades of beef, when a cow is used that is sickly, how they are raised. I think we are all too trusting of our food.

Remember the contaminated cantelope mess last year.

anyone know?

we have some local markets that are finally eliminating this from their griund beef.

just hope this goes world wide.

Not sure why you care. I gather from all your original statements about the 2.0 upgrades you had no intention of eating one to begin with.

But I am sure uncle "google" can help you find the info.

Not sure why you care. I gather from all your original statements about the 2.0 upgrades you had no intention of eating one to begin with.

But I am sure uncle "google" can help you find the info.

never said i wouldn't have one. a burger is usually the first thing i eat when i board, or a subset of such.

If that's your preference and you can afford it then there's nothing at all wrong with it.

exactly. clearly mark the stuff that has the additives, and the stuff that doesn't. then (God forbid) we can make our own decision as to which we would want our family to ingest.

but it is interesting in seeing some rally behind the extenders. seems the cool aid is in the meat department as well.

Choice is good and knowing is good but as another poster said how do you mark the packages? Nothing has been added so there is no need to say that. If you don't want to have this in your food and can find a source that doesn't use it then that's great. But there's no need for a witch hunt that shuts down an industry that innocent people rely on both for a living and for their food. Is it the best cut of meat? Nope, it's not. Is it the only thing that some people can afford? Yes, it is, and if the frenzy gets too bad their food bill will go up because it won't be available anymore. I can now afford to buy the better cuts of meat but it wasn't that long ago that I couldn't.

if y'all are gonna get bent over "ammonia" then you better stop eating any foods containing wheat and/or soy which naturally contain high levels of ammonia.

like +1

If that's your preference and you can afford it then there's nothing at all wrong with it.

I can't afford NOT to.

I only wish I was half as smart about food and what's in it when my kids were young. Fortunately they will be better prepared when feeding their kids and they will make better food a priority.

"affording" is another word for prioritizing.

exactly.

Bottom line for me is if I have a tight week, I will buy NO ground meat as opposed to something that isn't chemical/hormone free. There are other options for protein. You don't have to be weathy to eat healthy.

What worries me most about the pink slime is what parts are used to make it. I remember sometime back during the mad-cow issues it was mentioned that meat from close to the spinal membranes of the cows that becomes contanimated by the spinal fluid during butchering carry the spongioform bacteria or whatever it is that causes the mad-cow. My question is how does that impact the pink slime or whatever?????? Inquiring minds want to know....

"affording" is another word for prioritizing.

If you are saying that people have a choice and if they only prioritized correctly then you don't know what it's like to not have any money and to literally life paycheck to paycheck. The sad fact is eating "healthy" is really expensive and there a lot of people that can't afford to eat that way (well, they could if they only wanted to eat two days out of every 14;)).

I can't afford NOT to.

I only wish I was half as smart about food and what's in it when my kids were young. Fortunately they will be better prepared when feeding their kids and they will make better food a priority.

exactly.

Bottom line for me is if I have a tight week, I will buy NO ground meat as opposed to something that isn't chemical/hormone free. There are other options for protein. You don't have to be weathy to eat healthy.

It sure does help;).

I can't afford NOT to.

exactly.

weathy. is that a reference to girth?

I agree that a lot of people will choose an inexpensive, less healthy, more familiar option rather than expand their horizons. I disagree that it's always possible to choose the healthy option. I'm thinking of people relying on soup kitchens, food banks, those unable to cook for themselves, etc. Perhaps they have access to protein options that are free as opposed to those that cost anything at all. There are certainly people that have to go with free. I think it's a generalization to suggest that everyone can prioritize and choose the healthier option, every time. Having said that, I would also suggest that life without the occasional burger would just plain suck, so I could understand buying the pink slime meat if that was all that you could afford, at least sometimes.

If you are saying that people have a choice and if they only prioritized correctly then you don't know what it's like to not have any money and to literally life paycheck to paycheck. The sad fact is eating "healthy" is really expensive and there a lot of people that can't afford to eat that way (well, they could if they only wanted to eat two days out of every 14;)).

You are so totally incorrect. My husband and I just got finished with a two year time period only bringing in $1400 a month, from which we continued to pay our $500 mortgage. We grow much of our own fruits and veggies, we crop swap with neighbors and we take in all of our protein from organic sources.

What I don't do is blow my money on wal marts, dollar stores, drive through, cable tv or the like. I spend very little money and have very little debt, outside of the 15K left on our home. I do have internet but I work from home so the cost is absorbed into my salary.

How many of you have actually participated in the slaughter/processing of your meat, whether that be a deer, chicken, pig, cow, etc.?

I was fortunate to grow up on a farm where we did raise our own livestock for our own consumption, slaughtered the animals ourselves and processed them on-site (didn't send them out to a slaughterhouse to do so), and anyone who has done this will tell you, there are parts of an animal which you just don't use-- either it's a piece too full of fat or connective tissue, a spot that got contaminated with feces, etc., etc.

My parents still live on a farm and raise 90% of their own meat; DH and I help out at butchering time and get to take a lot of that meat for our own use. We DO still buy meat from the grocery store however, and if I have the choice to not buy meat with "pink slime" as an additive, you can be darned sure that will be my choice-- it's derived from scraps which are SCRAPS for a reason. If you saw those scraps, you wouldn't want that "meat" anywhere near your plate in any form it might get reprocessed into.

As for people being put out of work because of it... sorry, but that's not a valid argument for continuing to use the stuff. If somebody in Montana has a great big opium-poppy farm for manufacturing heroin and they employ 300 people, should they be allowed to stay in business just because they have employees? I think not. I don't fault the employees for working there-- a job is a job, and props to the people with jobs as undesirable as this must be-- but it's not a good-enough reason to continue using the stuff in our food.

You are so totally incorrect. My husband and I just got finished with a two year time period only bringing in $1400 a month, from which we continued to pay our $500 mortgage. We grow much of our own fruits and veggies, we crop swap with neighbors and we take in all of our protein from organic sources.

What I don't do is blow my money on wal marts, dollar stores, drive through, cable tv or the like. I spend very little money and have very little debt, outside of the 15K left on our home. I do have internet but I work from home so the cost is absorbed into my salary.

I'm sorry to say you are the exception, not the rule.

The best hamburger I ever got was from a restaurant called 'Plan B' and they use only certified 100% natural beef with no hormones, antibiotics or fillers and it is also certified humane. Of course I was happy to read all that on the menu...then I tatsed the beef and was converted in an instant. The beef was SO much better...unbelieveably better. It made me realize that what I had been eating all these years is absolute CRAP.

Best ground (anything) I ever had was in Israel, where i picked the piece of meat I wanted and they'd run it through the grinder right there. Of course, it was more expensive, but that may also have been from the kosher requirements...

Archived