Will Camp Carnival be able to handle my ACTIVE 2 year old?

beanersmom

We are sailing in a few days (yay) and started thinking today how in the world the counsellors can handle the little ones at 2 :p My ds just turned 2 and he is extremely active! He does not like to stay still...EVER..... What kind of activities do they have for ones that young? I was hoping to leave him there for a couple of hours a day on sea days. Will he be able to wander around or will someone be close by if he starts climbing on things??? I guess it would be like a daycare setting?

DS was 2 (27 months) when we sailed Carnival last year and he has always been a very independent toddler - constantly in motion, wants to play with everything, climbs any chance he gets, short attention span, not much patience. I would imagine these are traits common to most 2 yr olds. :) He was fine in Camp Carnival. They maintain a fun lively atmosphere so the kids seemed to general want to do whatever were the organized activities, there was plenty of free play time for them to play with the stuff in the room as they wished, and the counselors were overall really good w/ DS.

We would generally ask him if he wanted to go, and if he said yes we'd take him. If he didn't we would just keep him with us. He typically would go on sea days for an hour or two in the morning if he expressed that he wanted to go, and about 2 hours a couple evenings. We took him to have dinner w/ camp several nights when he was clearly too hyper from the day's activities to sit through a 2 hour formal dinner since their dinnertime program was more like lunch at his regular daycare - quick kid-friendly meal and being allowed to get up and play as soon as he was done eating so long as he was not disrupting other kids still eating. They provided a cell phone so that if something came up that they could not handle, if he misbehaved, or was crying inconsolably, we would be called to pick him up. We did get called twice during the trip when he wanted mom and dad and they couldn't calm him, but overall he did really well.

I also forgot to mention that my ds is still not talking (24 months).If he wants something he will come and take my hand and bring me to what he wants i.e food=fridge etc. I wonder if this will also pose issues??

My daughter just missed being able to take part in Camp Carnival on her first cruise as she was 23 months of age. But when she was 3, she couldn't wait to go every day (she called it "ship school"). She loved to be active at that age.

Just wait til your son is older, like 8 -- try helping out in a classroom or on a field trip. I needed to make sure I took my vitamins on those days.

Archived