Can past cruisers show your pearl purchases and the best places to buy them?

D-ma

I just informed me DH that since a 30th anniversary is a Pearl anniversary, I will be shopping for them in FP. I am leaning towards Tahia Collins based on the web. Which island has the best selection? Also, I read that Moorea has the best prices? Is that true?

We bought pearls from Tahia Collins this past year at her shop in Moorea. We were lucky enough to have her help us through the evaluation and purchasing process. She is a very very knowlegeable gal and was so very helpful (and patient) in getting us the right size and color of pearls. I'm sure we paid more for the service but it was worth it.

Just a note. Do some research before you go as well as while you are there. We visited many shops in the US and in FP to get their opinions before we got to Tahias and that helped us finally make a choice when we worked with her. Another reason we bought from Tahia was her brand name and reputation that we checked out before and while we were in FP.

Good Luck!

I am a Pearl person. I have bought pearls from various vendors - Robert Wan - very reputable, Island Fashion - Ron Hall is really nice and gives you the soft sell, Motu Mahana - keishi pearls mainly. I bought a fair number of individual pearls and had them set with gold/white gold and diamonds. I collected large keishis over many trips and then for my 30th anniversary had them set into a white gold necklace similar to one you can see on Justin Hunter's website. I enjoyed designing each piece and having it made. However, I never had a full strand until I fell in love with one at Tahia Collins shop on the ship. That is it - no more Tahaitian pearls!

I would suggest that you look at all the websites for what they have - designs, colours, sizes. When I first went I was totally unprepared so just bought one large bluish greenish one and started my keishi collection. The second time I went prepared to buy a strand but nothing captured my fancy. In Moorea, Tahia collins has a van to take you to her shop. She has a larger selection there. Her quality is uniformly good and her designs pretty good. A number of her designs seem to have found inspiration from the winners of the pearl jewellery designing competitions.

Very often you will find Tahaitian pearls stateside for lower prices - so its not really a questions of saving any money. There are 2 reasons why you buy the pearls in Fp. One the wide selection and colours available. The other is its the most wonderful keepsake and memory of your time there.

If you are buying an expensive piece or strand you can ask for a 5 to 10% discount. I got 7% both in Fiji ( yellow pearls!) and in Moorea with Tahia.

And Donna, if you dont find what you love this trip - come with us in January and have another look!

Emdee, without embarrassing anyone by asking prices...I'd love to get an idea. I have checked out the websites, but no one seems to have list prices or even ranges for various pieces.

If you were shopping in FP what general range would you expect to see list for prices for:

A single pearl (to set later)

a pair of earrings with a pearl or two on each earring

a choker strand

Have you seen bracelets, or do you think pearls are too delicate for wrist wear?

I ask more out of curiosity than actual pre shopping research. Although, I just bought two pretty sun dresses that would look awfully nice with those lavendar pearls;)

The prices of pearls are so relative that it is hard to say. It depends on size and lustre and grade and roundness.

My first I bought was slightly off round and had one very small inclusion with lovely depth and colour - size was 13. I paid $400 loose in 2004 . I bought the earrings to match the pearl - they were smaller but real beauties and of the highest quality - they just called me when I saw them and I paid 800$ each but the were perfectly round and the quality was the very best. You could see them winking at me!

I think you should establish a budget first - then decide what you really like. I always wanted the strand but everytime I came close to purchasing it I was frightened by the price. Then both DD and myself fell in love with this strand from Tahia - the colours the lustre were so special. The pearls are graded in size and not perfectly round but the lustre is special. We would lust after them each day we passed the shop. Finally DD said she would spring for half the cost if I put the other half in. Of course DH said no - I will buy them and they are your mothers....but you can share them. I have only one child so all I have is hers anyway. DH says we are spending her inheritance.

Familygoboston, like I said to Donna - you may have to go a second time on the PG to find your perfect pearl. Dont force yourself to buy something and find out what you really like - see Tahia Collins website Justin Hunters website, Robert wans , Eva Perles etc.

You will see the range of pearls in size shape and colours. If you go to a store here you will never see that range. Decide what is important to you - a single pearl as a memento - something more exotic or something wild and wonderful like Robert Wan has.

Hibiscus,

I really wanted a golden pearl or pearls but when I went to Australia didnt have the wherewithal! Anyway when we went to Fiji I went to see Justin Hunters shop - he has done a lot for the fijian pearl industry as Robert Wan did for the Tahaitian pearl industry ( and of course Mikimoto). I couldnt find a golden one of the size I wanted - so bought a yellow pearl size 18 - it is huge and has a nice lustre. Also found a pair of Pistachio - pure pistachio no blues in them at all - keishi earrings. Simple but totally unusual.

You may recall the lovely golden pearl strand in the Tahia shop which was there for years. Now its in one of their hotel stores - I think. Last year we asked where it had gone to. It was $100,000 but the pearls were things of beauty.

I love keishis for their shapes and lustre - some countries actually value them higher as they do not have a core.

While I admire the perfect pearls in shape and size - its the off shape ones that I love.

The prices of pearls are so relative that it is hard to say. It depends on size and lustre and grade and roundness.

My first I bought was slightly off round and had one very small inclusion with lovely depth and colour - size was 13. I paid $400 loose in 2004 . I bought the earrings to match the pearl - they were smaller but real beauties and of the highest quality - they just called me when I saw them and I paid 800$ each but the were perfectly round and the quality was the very best. You could see them winking at me!

I think you should establish a budget first - then decide what you really like. I always wanted the strand but everytime I came close to purchasing it I was frightened by the price. Then both DD and myself fell in love with this strand from Tahia - the colours the lustre were so special. The pearls are graded in size and not perfectly round but the lustre is special. We would lust after them each day we passed the shop. Finally DD said she would spring for half the cost if I put the other half in. Of course DH said no - I will buy them and they are your mothers....but you can share them. I have only one child so all I have is hers anyway. DH says we are spending her inheritance.

Familygoboston, like I said to Donna - you may have to go a second time on the PG to find your perfect pearl. Dont force yourself to buy something and find out what you really like - see Tahia Collins website Justin Hunters website, Robert wans , Eva Perles etc.

You will see the range of pearls in size shape and colours. If you go to a store here you will never see that range. Decide what is important to you - a single pearl as a memento - something more exotic or something wild and wonderful like Robert Wan has.

Thanks Miriam, I was just curious to know what these works of art run...really such a lovely story about your DD and you sharing the pearls! Not only will she inherit them one day, but she will always have her memories of you and your time together in PG!

I'm not really a "pearl" person myself, but my gosh, when you look at those photos on the web you can see they are really like tiny works of art, and that they started in the sea is so appealing isn't it? They do just glow, don't they? I'll be in the shops just to see how pretty they are!

I tend to buy art and jewelry, as you did, when I see the beauty in an object and I just can't walk out without it! Many times my DH will be asking "how about this or that " when we have a celebration to commemorate and the sales person thinks he has a live one because what woman says "no" to jewelry and walks away, but I often do unless it is just "right" for me;)

Thanks for sharing your experiences (as always:D)

Ihad a really funny experience last year at Moorea. I saw this pair of earrings that looked kind of nice and very different - it took the saleswoman to tell me that they had a male suggestiveness about them. Anyway with a quick oops I moved to the other pair of earrings.

I think I was blushing to my roots - of course you couldnt see the blush behind my brown colour!

Hibiscus,

I really wanted a golden pearl or pearls but when I went to Australia didnt have the wherewithal! Anyway when we went to Fiji I went to see Justin Hunters shop - he has done a lot for the fijian pearl industry as Robert Wan did for the Tahaitian pearl industry ( and of course Mikimoto). I couldnt find a golden one of the size I wanted - so bought a yellow pearl size 18 - it is huge and has a nice lustre. Also found a pair of Pistachio - pure pistachio no blues in them at all - keishi earrings. Simple but totally unusual.

You may recall the lovely golden pearl strand in the Tahia shop which was there for years. Now its in one of their hotel stores - I think. Last year we asked where it had gone to. It was $100,000 but the pearls were things of beauty.

I love keishis for their shapes and lustre - some countries actually value them higher as they do not have a core.

While I admire the perfect pearls in shape and size - its the off shape ones that I love.

Your knowledge of pearls is extensive, thank you for sharing. Where in Fiji did you find the yellow and pistachio pearls? I'm off to google Justin Hunter...

Justin Hunter for the yellow and pistachio pearls. The full necklace with Keishis in the beginning of the classic collection is the one the 'inspired' me and I gathered the Keishis in 5 trips to FP. Unfortunately I cannot remember where I got which one!

http://www.pearlsfiji.com

I am East Indian and its very much in our culture to love jewellery!

We had a large OBC on our last PG cruise, so we went into the Tahia Collins shop on board. My wife has imbued the mantra in me-"of course you want the matching earrings". So we did LOL

I googled the Justin Hunter website and unfortunately, my wife saw it! LOL. It will be our 5th anniversary, and I might pick up one for her.

I am not a pearl person, but was impressed by the beauty of the Tahia pearls.

The PG shop had a large selection at all prices in different settings.

I did come home with one... an 11 mm black (dark silver) round pearl set as a pendant.

It was an AMEX Platinum free amenity, delivered to our room.

Ok, I love to plan for our upcoming trips, for me it is part of the total experiene. However, I haven't had ANY time to do any research for this trip. That will change in about 18 days and you guys might get extremlemly bored with me.

I LOVE pearls and that is why FP has always been top on my list....oh that and my goal in lifie is to find the BEST beach. So far Harbour Island, pink beach in the Bahamas is my ultimate. But I will keep searching (what better misssion could I have :) )

Debbie

Giskard,

IN my mind one of the best beaches is the Blue Lagoon in Fakarava. Its not that the beach is very long it is, but not miles and miles, but because it is a long sand spit out into the lagoon with the beautiful different blues of the lagoon that make FP special and most of all to me because it is totally uninhabited - like being on a palm fringed deserted island. As we walked to the end of the spit the sand untouched and virgin it felt almost sacred to me. This is what I like about FP. The caribbean has some lovely beaches but the wall to wall people take away the pleasure for me.

Miriam

Miriam

I agree, that is why Harbour Island is my #1 to date. We had the beach to ourselves, and I was able to walk for miles on the powder soft sand with gorgeous shades of water to gaze at. Can't wait to see the water and beaches in FP!

Debbie

Miriam, no worries...I'm sure we will love the beaches. So far the only disappointment we've had were in Croatia and Italy where the beaches were "pebbles" instead of sand LOL. I understand that European's actually prefer that to the sand as sand IS invasive :) Not that I'm complaining as it was a wonderful trip and Croatia blew us away (my husband's family is from the island of Vis and we will be returning next summer when our son graduates). It was funny though as our then 14yr old was not at all thrilled. His life experience to that point with "beaches" had been multiple times to the Caribbean, California, Florida and Mexico. He did not consider the "pebble" beaches to be true beaches.

Archived