When to Book private Excursions for Aug 2013 Cruise?

micruiser12

I am not sure how early I can or should start booking private excursions (especially popular ones) for our Alaskan Cruise for Aug 2013? A year ahead, 6 months, etc? What about for railroad excursion from Anchorage to Seward to get best seats? Also, when to book rental car for pre-cruise part of our trip?

I would start planning what you want to do, research the providers of those services, then contact them about how to book for 2013. You will probably find that most of them will not have 2013 pricing until late 2012.

Cruise lines will sell their cruises a year or more out, however you will not find excursions listed until about 6 or 7 mos out.

You can easily wait another year. I have trips in August and Sept, with me arranging my reservations now.

It isn't a "railroad excursion" Seward/Anchorage. And there aren't any superior seats, they are randomly assigned anyway, with preferred alternative sides for the trip.

If you are using purchased coupon discounts, they do have to reserved ahead, but still would be available in a year.

The car rental is a different story. My deal came out last fall, in years past, it can be anywhere from later summer into fall. More important is to have your itinerary firm and if taking advantage of the cheaper downtown rentals- all those plans in place with timing.

I am an obsessive planner and am now in contact with tour operators for our Alaska cruise at the end of July, 2013. The two most important to us are both taking bookings now for 2013. We don't want to miss out on a float plane/bear watch excursion out of Ketchikan and we want a particular whale watch tour out of Juneau.

We will do a DIY driving tour this summer and got a fantastic rate for a rental car in Anchorage. We booked our car with Enterprise on Sept. 4, 2011 so that's in the neighborhood of the time they will have the super duper special prices. It was necessary to pick up the car at the Enterprise office 510 E International Airport Rd and return it to the same location. That office is not open 24 hrs. a day but the rate for a car from the airport was MUCH higher. It's worth the cost of a taxi to go pick it up if necessary - but they will pick you up at area hotels. For example, our flight arrives 12:15 a.m. We will use the hotel shuttle to an airport area hotel to get a few hours sleep. In the morning, we will have Enterprise pick us up to get our ca and we're on the way.

Archived