Dinner outside of anchorage

gschwartz001

My DH and I will be in Anchorage on a Saturday in July. We will have a car and will be driving to Girdwood and the Alyeska resort that day. Where is the best places to eat on the route back to Anchorage? I want to make reservations since it is a Saturday. Any advice?

I was going to suggest Pepe's Turnagain House as well. Both the food and service are very good and they have a nice view of Turnagain Arm. Many positive reviews on Tripadvisor.

I would suggest that too-but be advised, it is a small place and I would suggest reservations....

Here's their website: http://turnagainhouse.com/

Any rec's for restaurants driving to/from denali to anchorage? we may stop in palmer and wasilla... thanks

As hard as this is for people to believe, there really is nothing between Denali and Wasilla. Oh, there is some places to eat at Big Lake, but that's pretty close to Wasill-and they are not what I would call "Haute cuisine". There are a couple of gas stops along the way-but not real restaurants.

The only to get some real food between Denali and Anchorage is Wasilla. Palmer is a side trip and you have to get off the parks highway to go there.

As hard as this is for people to believe, there really is nothing between Denali and Wasilla. Oh, there is some places to eat at Big Lake, but that's pretty close to Wasill-and they are not what I would call "Haute cuisine". There are a couple of gas stops along the way-but not real restaurants.

The only to get some real food between Denali and Anchorage is Wasilla. Palmer is a side trip and you have to get off the parks highway to go there.

That's why I often picnic on that route. I never drive in Alaska without my own food cache, water, coffee and emergency needs.

Your timing will determine where you eat, I assume. There are many places to eat in Wasilla or slightly outside of it. On your way to Denali, I'm assuming you will be too early for dinner in Wasilla. On your return, however, your timing might be right. We have several kinds of restaurants that are good, so it just depends on what you are looking for. Italian/Greek, Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, steak/burgers, fast food...it's all here.

Our favorite spots to eat along the way are Sheep Creek Lodge at mile 88 (http://www.sheepcreeklodge.com/ but still probably not far enough along for dinner). I don't remember the names of the other places we stop to eat...usually we're returning late evening from a camping/hunting/fishing trip, and we just pull in to whatever is open! Do not judge the various lodges by the outside...they can be pretty rough looking, and I wouldn't order anything fancy...but you can always get a good burger and fries. The further north you get, however, the less there is...once you pass the McKinley Princess, you're pretty much out of luck for food again until the Denali/Healy area. I know you can leave the highway and go into Cantwell and find someplace to eat, but we don't so can't tell you how it is.

Any rec's for restaurants driving to/from denali to anchorage? we may stop in palmer and wasilla... thanks

It's short deviation from the highway but Talkeetna might be an option for you if you have time. The Wildflower Cafe is very good for lunch or dinner and the Talkeetna Roadhouse is incredible for breakfast. Very nice views of Denali from the river at the edge of town.

That's why I often picnic on that route. I never drive in Alaska without my own food cache, water, coffee and emergency needs.

Exactly! You can always find someplace to pull over and enjoy the view while munching down goodies.......

Exactly! You can always find someplace to pull over and enjoy the view while munching down goodies.......

I am used to off season driving in Alaska when much is closed. We have a long list of items that we never leave the house without including basic food items, blankets, worn clothes, work gloves, towels, shovels, duct tape, jumper cables, etc.

Better safe than sorry!

Word of warning to people from Texas and other areas who are used to finding wonderful pit b-b-q along their travels. Often in Alaska you will smell wood fires that do not lead to b-b-q. Been disappointed myself!

The best restaurant in the Denali area is just south of the park entrance -- the restaurant name is Mile 229 and it is located at mile 229 of the Parks Highway.

We drove down to Seward and Homer last summer but didn't stop at Mary Cary's famous lodge. They served great food in the past.

My DH and I will be in Anchorage on a Saturday in July. We will have a car and will be driving to Girdwood and the Alyeska resort that day.

Since you are going to be in Alyeska that day and have to drive back, and it won't take you all that long to get back to town, no question, eat at the Double Musky Inn. It is relatively close to the lodge.

The Double Musky is one of the top quality restaurants in the Anchorage area. Folk from Anchorage love to go down there just to eat. Only problem is the roundtrip drive, but you are going to be there already.

I get to stay at Alyeska frequently during the shoulder season and was waiting for someone to mention the Double Musky. A little loud but really nice inside. Pleasant staff. Have you notice I haven't mentioned the food? It's okay but nothing to squeal about.

If eating in Girdwood, I always have a couple of meals at Chair Five.

My family doesn't care for the Double Musky during tourist season when the waits can be long. Call ahead to try to get a reservation.

Double Musky does not take reservations and they are only open for dinner. Closed Mondays, Tuesdays through Thursdays they open at 5 p.m. and on Friday and Saturday they open at 4:30 p.m.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I would recommend the Turnigan House in Indian. Just past Girdwood....The chef is from Spain and he does wonderful things with our local fish. Has been here a long time but was previously in Valdez.....Pepe is great...The scenery is great, Yes, you might have to wait a bit if you don't have reservations but usually it isn't long.

Archived