Best restaurants in Rome?

Artemis908

I did a search on tripadvisor and chose a few restaurants in Rome, but wondering if anyone has a restaurant they'd recommend. I love little hole in the walls, hidden gem restaurants. I don't like the really fancy, overpriced stuff. Italy is suppose to have some of the best food in the world and I want to experience it!

We are staying very close to the Vatican but I am sure we can figure out public transportation to almost anywhere.

Our favorite restaurant is very close to the Vatican. It is La Soffita in Piazza Risorgimento. That piazza is a very large one; this restaurant is on the east side (on the corner of Via Crescenzio and the piazza.)

They are open every day from lunch through dinner. The lunch and late dinner hour time periods are very busy with the locals, but the early dinner time has a lot of tourist traffic.

We spend 2+ weeks at a time in Rome and eat almost every dinner and often lunch. (Our hotel is a couple blocks from it.) Any time we try a different restaurant, we pay more and don't enjoy the food as much.

Let me know if you have questions about that area of Rome. Many people on this board prefer different areas of Rome, but this is best area for us.

Enjoy Rome!

Someone who lived in Rome highly recommended this restaurant to us: Mozziconi (I Fratelli Poggi) on the Borgo Pio--it is near the Vatican--however they were closed for vacation when we were there. We loved Navonna Notte in the Piazza Navona area.

Have a great trip!

Marge

I lived in Rome 20 years ago. Perhaps a lot has changed, but a good approach to getting a good meal is to get far away from anywhere that is a tourist attraction. Ideally you want to be the only tourists in the place and be ordering from a menu that has no English.

The Vatican side of the river is not very touristy when you a reasonable distance from the Vatican so you should do fine wandering into a neighbourhood place.

Italians would not tolerate bad food from a restaurant so if the restaurant is busy with locals the food is likely pretty darn good.:)

I am going out on a limb here fro this question.I have spent a fai amount of time in Rome,and for some reason I am going to suggest the resto on top of The Forum hotel.You can go for luncheon or dinner.The view is wonderful ,the food very good,the service is wonderful as well. Is it pricey..yes,but not as bad as some other restos in Rome trust me.It is not a hole in the wall either,but I just have a feeling it would fit.You would have to take a cab.This was my idea for the day:p

I am going out on a limb here fro this question.I have spent a fai amount of time in Rome,and for some reason I am going to suggest the resto on top of The Forum hotel.You can go for luncheon or dinner.The view is wonderful ,the food very good,the service is wonderful as well. Is it pricey..yes,but not as bad as some other restos in Rome trust me.It is not a hole in the wall either,but I just have a feeling it would fit.You would have to take a cab.This was my idea for the day:p

We stayed at the Hotel Forum years ago, eating at the Garden Restaurant several times. The food/service/views - excellent! But IMHO - crazy expensive. That said, I agree with you - this is a wonderful, memorable place to dine while in Rome.

I am currently in Rome and had a great meal today at one of my favorite places, Hostaria Farnese. It is family owned, small, and between Campo dei Fiori and Piazza Farnese, a 20 minute walk from the Vatican. This was our second time there and it was wonderful again.

The best gelato we've had is at Gelateria del Teatro, which is a few blocks (toward the Vatican) from Piazza Navona.

Unfortunately it's very easy to have a bad meal in Rome. If they are out on the sidewalk trying to shoo you in, stay away! The really good places don't do that.

We really like La Fontanella Sistina on Via Sistina down the street from Piazza Barberini. We've eaten there 4 or 5 times. I've read some not so good reviews on trip advisor, but we have always had a great meal there for a reasonable price. They made a quattro formaggio for me when it wasn't even on the menu. The fried artichoke is so good. The owner's son Francesco is so personable and charming. They give the women in the party a rose at the end of the meal, which is a little hokey, but they seem so sincere about it that it is cute. We are going to try to get there on our 1 day cruise stop in May.

Archived