Fuel surcharge

paulbjr

We've had that wording on all our cruise documentation but no charges ever applied. A few years ago I think fuel surcharges were actually charged by some cruise lines but it didn't go over well. Now with bookings on not as solid ground as at that time, I think most cruise lines are extremely hesitate to start charging that line item. Never say never but haven't heard of it being done lately.

It would not surprise me if the April 1st increase on all cruises included a fuel charge. When Regent added a fuel charge a few years ago, the price of fuel went down and they had to reimburse some passengers for that surcharge. It was quite a mess -- one that I doubt they would want to repeat. It seems that when prices are raised without specifying what percentage of the increase is for fuel, they are not required to pay back passengers in the unlikely event that fuel costs decrease.

I am just guessing. Someone else might be more in the know that I am.

it was ~$15 per passenger per day (~$300 for a couple on a 10 day cruise). Agree with TravelCat that it was a fiasco and likely that it will be buried in future fares. Pyschologically, it was a very bad move. You get past the final payment bump on an all-inclusive cruise and...another payment.

Archived