Port shuttle bus - Taormina and Marseilles

Eliza10

We are sailing on Riviera May 26th and I would like to know about two ports and if shuttle buses are provided please. They are Taormina and Marseilles. Does anyone have any information? I know Taormina is a tender port, and is some distance from Taormina. I would appreciate any information. :)

We are sailing on Riviera May 26th and I would like to know about two ports and if shuttle buses are provided please. They are Taormina and Marseilles. Does anyone have any information? I know Taormina is a tender port, and is some distance from Taormina. I would appreciate any information. :)

Is the actual port Catania or Messina? Catania is closer to Taormina than is Messina. You'll want to make private transportation arrangements to get from either port to Taormina, although the Italy board often includes posts about picking up a taxi driver at the dock in Messina.

Once you get to Taormina, this is a place that is very easy to DIY. The only thing to visit of a true historic nature is the Grecco-Roman theater at one end of the town, and you can read about it in advance. The rest of the time will be spent taking a delightful stroll along the pedestrian street, stopping to look at the seascape from the piazza, shopping, and enjoying lovely Sicilian treats like limoncello and cannoli.

If you're thinking of including a trip up Mt. Etna, be sure to dress warmly. We once spent 10 days in Sicily in early June -- your timeframe. Although we were sweating while wearing Bermuda shorts as we toured the temples of Agrigento and other sites -- and twice swam in the Med -- we were freezing on the top of the volcano. (I don't think folks go as high up the volcano now as when we visited. The casual restaurant that marked the high point of the drive burned up in a lava flow between our visit and today. I think our replacement is somewhat lower down the mountain.)

You may want to read a thread about Catania itself from the Italy board which identifies lots of appealing things to see/do there without even going to Taormina. Here's that link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1577804

Thank you KPS and LHT28, It looks like we will be tendered into the port of Giardini Naxos - Has anyone been to this port with Oceania and had a shuttle bus provided by Oceania to Taormina, or have you had to arrange own transport to Taormina, when not doing a booked shore excursion. Thank you for the links

Thank you KPS and LHT28, It looks like we will be tendered into the port of Giardini Naxos - Has anyone been to this port with Oceania and had a shuttle bus provided by Oceania to Taormina, or have you had to arrange own transport to Taormina, when not doing a booked shore excursion. Thank you for the links

No shuttle was provide last year when on Marina - not that I can remember anyway. It is a tender port. It is a long walk to Taormina but most of it is flat and a beautiful walk provided the weather is OK. The day I was there the weather was perfect. Did not walk all the way to the main town but there is plenty to see and do along the water front.

We actually docked at Giardini-Naxos and then took the ships tour of Taormina on your own to get there. Walked around, decided to stay longer and took a taxi back to the ship from Taormina itself. FYI..there are NO taxis at the bottom of the Cable Cars and not an easy walk.

Sherry

Dont know if Oceania has shuttle into Taormina and Marseilles, but we were in both places recently on Regent. Just wanted to pass on that Taormina is a lovely town that you can easily see on your own. As far as Marseilles....we took the shuttle into town to see on our own and it is a pit! We walked around for a half hour and got out quick back to our ship. I highly recomend taking a shore excursion to the french countryside while in this port as Marsielles is not worth visiting. Believe me when I tell you you will not feel like you are in France!

Thanks everyone for you kind information, we are really looking forward to seeing Taormina, and yes I agree we will do a shore excursion from the Marseilles port, probably to Avignon and around that area.

Rhohea- I think you must be confusing ports, Giardina-Naxos is a tender port (basically a beach town) but Taormina is partway up a mountain, certainly not walkable by any stretch. I have visited this port twice on another cruiseline and they provided a shuttle to the town which is, itself, very walkable and DIY as others have mentioned, lots of restaurants with great views and shops. FYI-they take siesta pretty seriously here so most shops close for an hour and a half or so in the afternoon so either take a long lunch or plan to shop earlier in the day.

Rhohea- I think you must be confusing ports, Giardina-Naxos is a tender port (basically a beach town) but Taormina is partway up a mountain, certainly not walkable by any stretch. I have visited this port twice on another cruiseline and they provided a shuttle to the town which is, itself, very walkable and DIY as others have mentioned, lots of restaurants with great views and shops. FYI-they take siesta pretty seriously here so most shops close for an hour and a half or so in the afternoon so either take a long lunch or plan to shop earlier in the day.

Thanks for the info on the shopping kissing seahorses, I had forgotten about the siesta, A girl always has to fit in some serious shopping. The view from the Roman theatre looks great from the pictures I have seen. If there is no shuttle bus, it sounds like it is easy just to take a taxi into the town of Taormina. Thank you for your advice everyone.

Archived