Miami - Rental Cars

jtdlmc

We're planning on flying into Miami 3 days before our cruise and renting a car. In looking at renting from the airport, there is a $16 a day "airport concession recovery fee" (I checked Hertz) so would rather same the $40+ and rent off airport!!! I looked at Dollar and their website states they have a location at Miami Cruise Ship. Has anyone rented from Dollar and are they actually located at the port? Any other recommendations for renting cars in Miami? It'd be great to be able to return it right at the port the morning we embark.

We've been looking at car rental after disembarking in POM. It looks that no car rentals AT the Port, like you would at the Airport - a number of companies have shuttles that will take you to their rental location, some to MIA rental location.

From the POM Website:

POM website re: Rental Cars:

Several car rental agencies are permitted to do business at the seaport. Each agency provides courtesy shuttle service to their locations off the port. We suggest you contact your preferred company directly for the most up-to-date information.

• Dollar Rent-A-Car

• Thrifty Car Rental

• Hertz Corp

• Alamo Rent a Car

Also, Alamo, National, & Thrifty offer free shuttles from POM to their MIA airport location.

Be aware that the Florida Turnpil/Toll roads are mostly "cashless" in SouthFlorida/Miami, so it's not a bad idea to pay the extra $2 or $3 per day for transponder that will charge tolls to your rental car account.

ken

There are some car rental locations in downtown Miami and also Miami Beach, but to get from MIA to downtown will cost you $25+ in a cab and $32+ to Miami Beach, so most of your savings will evaporate into cab fare. :(

You could try the Airport Flyer bus from MIA to Miami Beach for $2.35 each. Be aware that Miami Beach and downtown Miami hotels charge $25-35+/day for parking! :eek: Good luck! :)

We have a 4:30pm flight out of MIA after our cruise, thus a few hours to kill preferably not sitting at the airport. Is this doable or even make sense lol.... Rent a car (Maybe Alamo as they seem to have the free shuttle) take the shuttle from POM to the car rental (avoiding cab fees) use it for a few hours to drive around and hold luggage too, then drop it off at MIA before our later flight?? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Kim

The only problem with this plan is that you are traveling back to the center of the city (the airport) away from tourist areas. If that's okay with you and you don't mind 30-40 minutes to get the shuttle to MIA and another 20+ minutes to drive back to downtown or Miami Beach then go for it.

Yogi

Oh I was under the assumption that the shuttle was to a car rental not at the airport but at a location close to the port??

Alamo, National, Thrifty and Dollar will shuttle you back to their MIA airport location. You might look at Hertz (free shuttle to their downtown location) or Avis ($10 cab ride to their downtown location).

Lots of folks rent a car for a day or less while waiting for an afternoon or evening flight. Good luck! :)

I just got back from a Celebrity Cruise and had a very good experience with Hertz at their downtown location (book the one on SE 2nd Street). I did a (long) post about it yesterday, so scroll down a bit for details.

We have a 4:30pm flight out of MIA after our cruise, thus a few hours to kill preferably not sitting at the airport. Is this doable or even make sense lol.... Rent a car (Maybe Alamo as they seem to have the free shuttle) take the shuttle from POM to the car rental (avoiding cab fees) use it for a few hours to drive around and hold luggage too, then drop it off at MIA before our later flight?? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Kim

I did this a couple of years ago through Alamo...we cruised out of Miami but had to fly out of FLL. A rental car (with the various discounts you can find, check with mousesavers or others for codes) was cheaper for us than transportation with SAS, plus it gave us a lot of freedom.

Used the Alamo shuttle that stops in front of the cruise terminals (you will need to show them a copy of your reservation), which took us to the airport (MIA). Used the kiosks to check in (make sure you do the online SaveTime checkin on Alamo.com to save precious time) and then drove down into the keys for lunch and some sightseeing. Made for a perfect few hours relaxing prior to our flight (we also had a 4:30ish flight, out of FLL no less! Still made it in plenty of time and never felt rushed).

I've got a minivan rented for our group of 7 to do the same post-cruise sightseeing through Costco.com's Alamo codes for $35 for a day in early May (normal cars were even cheaper)

There are some car rental locations in downtown Miami and also Miami Beach, but to get from MIA to downtown will cost you $25+ in a cab and $32+ to Miami Beach, so most of your savings will evaporate into cab fare. :(

You could try the Airport Flyer bus from MIA to Miami Beach for $2.35 each. Be aware that Miami Beach and downtown Miami hotels charge $25-35+/day for parking! :eek: Good luck! :)

Little change of plans. We decided to pick up car at MIA (probably Hertz since they have a downtown location for drop off) and then drop it off the morning of the cruise in downtown Miami and catch their shuttle to the port. I don't know if I was looking at the price run down wrong the first time in regard to the airport concession fee - I thought it was $17/day but when I made mock ressie for p/u at MIA and drop-off downtown, it only showed the airport concession fee once. Maybe it makes a difference if you p/u and d/o at the airport???

We've also decided to stay in Hollywood, so no Miami hotel parking fees - $25-35/day - I don't think so - that'll keep me away from DT Miami right there :eek:

Archived