The importance of travel insurance

FIRELT5

People who can afford health insurance but decide not to because they want the big car, big screen TV and big trip should get what they deserve - no treatment. I do without some things so that I can pay for insurance. Why should I have to pay for the people who decide not to?

This may sound harsh but I say "let them die".

Of course, this does not apply to the people who can not afford insurance - they are a different case.

How does health insurance for all people sound,have we as a people not earned it?:confused:

We will be traveling with Celebrity next year in April..I did add their insurance onto the price of the cruise. One of the reasons is that it covers pre-existing conditions, my husband is a diabetic. Can I combine Celebrity's insurance with maybe another policy that doesn't cover pre-existing but does cover a larger amt for medical and evacuation? We work with a tight budget and I am finding it very difficult to get the full premium for a policy that cover everything including preexisting..as Travelex does have a policy that covers pre existing if bought before the final cruise payment but it is in the $300 range..any ideas would be appreciated..thank you.

1) Celebrity's plan DOES NOT cover pre-existing medical conditions for trip cancellation or interruption. If you have to cancel due to a pre-ex condition you have to settle for a partial future cruise credit under their "Cancel For Any Reason" provision. If you need medical assistance during the trip due to a pre-ex condition you get no coverage at all. Here's from their fine print -- note that the pre-ex exclusion does not apply to emergency evacuations:

"In Parts A & B (medical coverage) (except Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation) we will not pay for any loss caused by or incurred resulting from a Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion as defined below.

“Pre-Existing Condition” means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion, Business Partner or Immediate Family Member who is scheduled or booked to travel with you:1) received or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or 2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.

Item 2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60-day period before coverage is effective under this Policy."

Now it's very possible that your husband's diabetes does not meet the plan's definition of a "pre-existing medical condition" under item 2) in the definition above and if the diabetes flared up and caused a cancellation or he needed medical help on the trip you'd be covered. But that's very different from the idea they they cover pre-ex conditions -- they do not.

Back to your question -- yes, the benefit levels for medical coverages tend to be very low when you compare them to many third-party plans. Plus, although the Celebrity Cruise Care plan will advance money to a hospital to get you admitted, the maximum amount is so low ($1000) that it's practically useless. For comparison, the TravelSafe Classic plan will advance up to $100,000. Since you already have cancellation coverage through Celebrity you could certainly buy a third-party plan just for the medical coverage.

How does health insurance for all people sound,have we as a people not earned it?:confused:

That's a debate thats been going on in the US for a few years now.

Right now,, the current political climate is NO.

Insurance isn't free and neither is medical care, don't care where you live in the world. Someone is paying for that medical care. Whether it's from higher payroll deductions or from higher federal income taxes.

Right now, the general consensus in the US is "I want free healthcare for everyone, but don't even think about raising my taxes". Since we're a democracy,,,, the votes are in and we're just not ready yet for a national heathcare insurance program.

Archived